Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 01:32   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 650 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
My car is having a missing problem & mechanic says that new carburetor is needed. I required parts catalog to see the part number of carburetor.

It is really surprising, seems that car mostly travelled on highway.

Didnít the mechanic change the new bushes at the time of strut replacement? There may a chance of suspension failure also but without physical check no can say confirmly.
Sorry missed your post, What is a missing problem ?

yes driven in both highways and city.

No They mech only changed the shocks and the springs and not the bushes
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 07:34   #122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 552
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Sorry missed your post, What is a missing problem ?
Mainly two things can happened (separately or simultaneously) in a problem called missing.
1. Wrong ignition timing.
2. Wrong timing of Fuel delivery.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 05:46   #123
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 552
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Esteem owners,

Do there is no requirement for greasing of wheel bearings in esteem?

In utility vehicles drivers told me they get out the wheel bearings, wash it with diesel, and grease it and refit.

My mechanic told me that there is no need to grease the wheel bearings in esteem, if bearings gone wrong/ worn out it will be replaced at that time.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 11:25   #124
BHPian
 
t3ofil4us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Navi mumbai
Posts: 48
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The Esteem is the best car designed by Suzuki. Every time i see the DZire i find myself squirming with disgust.
. The Dzire looks as ugly as a hippopotamus baring its teeth.The esteem was a really good car and if you ask motorists during the 90's it was a family favorite.I myself was looking for one recently but settled for the OHC on account of the price , features and condition of the Car.
t3ofil4us is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 11:48   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Esteem owners,

Do there is no requirement for greasing of wheel bearings in esteem?

In utility vehicles drivers told me they get out the wheel bearings, wash it with diesel, and grease it and refit.

My mechanic told me that there is no need to grease the wheel bearings in esteem, if bearings gone wrong/ worn out it will be replaced at that time.
Your mech is right, there is no need to grease the bearing in the esteem. It comes with the hub, I haven't done that in 13 years of ownership, just replaced the bearings once. It is a SGP part and lasts a really long time.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 20:19   #126
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: BLR/CCU
Posts: 95
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in team-bhp, so please pardon my mistakes.

I am quiet a bit of an Esteem head and i just cant stop thinking about our old faithful 2003 Esteem MPFI VXI.

It has never given us any trouble in the past until recently on my short stay back at kolkata i noticed that it has oil leaking from the distributor.

After a long tormenting day at the Auto Hi-Tech workshop they provided 2 resolutions one is to change the distributor and the other one which we opted for was to change the O-Rings in it.

When i downloaded part of the G13BB manual from some Suzuki repository i found that G13BBs have a wasted spark ignition system which dont come with distributors.

Has anyone owning the same model faced this sort of issues?

Thanks in advance for taking the time of going through my post.
adneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 22:28   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 650 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Esteem owners,

Do there is no requirement for greasing of wheel bearings in esteem?

In utility vehicles drivers told me they get out the wheel bearings, wash it with diesel, and grease it and refit.

My mechanic told me that there is no need to grease the wheel bearings in esteem, if bearings gone wrong/ worn out it will be replaced at that time.
Your mech is right! Our car is still running on the original bearing set!


Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in team-bhp, so please pardon my mistakes.

I am quiet a bit of an Esteem head and i just cant stop thinking about our old faithful 2003 Esteem MPFI VXI.

It has never given us any trouble in the past until recently on my short stay back at kolkata i noticed that it has oil leaking from the distributor.

After a long tormenting day at the Auto Hi-Tech workshop they provided 2 resolutions one is to change the distributor and the other one which we opted for was to change the O-Rings in it.

When i downloaded part of the G13BB manual from some Suzuki repository i found that G13BBs have a wasted spark ignition system which dont come with distributors.

Has anyone owning the same model faced this sort of issues?

Thanks in advance for taking the time of going through my post.
I am not sure if your car has a distributer or not! I really haven't looked into the G13 BB
But MPFI engines dont need an distributer I think.

The G13 BA has a distributer as its a carb model.
But if your car does have a distributer the way to fix the oil leak would be to replace the O-rings and use some anabond. This will hold it.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 00:33   #128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: BLR/CCU
Posts: 95
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I am not sure if your car has a distributer or not! I really haven't looked into the G13 BB
But MPFI engines dont need an distributer I think.

The G13 BA has a distributer as its a carb model.
But if your car does have a distributer the way to fix the oil leak would be to replace the O-rings and use some anabond. This will hold it.
So after the O ring replacement the amountnof oil leak has reduced but we did not use anabond.will ask the chaps about applying it next time the car goes to the workshop.

Another issue is somehow our silencer got damaged so my dad opted for some carvin silencer as a replacement.Since the replacement i miss the trade mark engine sound.Is there a fix for this?

I also noticed some drop in the mad rush acceleration that i used to get previously.Last time we opted for a thorough service which included replacement of the clutch plates,rear wheel hubs,de-carbonation , TBD cleanup yet i couldnt feel the old punch.

I have read and watched so many videos about the eternalness of the Esteem engine i was simply not ready to take the explanation of the mechanics that its an old car.

Sorry for asking so many questions as i had been waiting to ask these to the right people since the problems started to crop up but my membership got approved recently.
adneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:48   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Another issue is somehow our silencer got damaged so my dad opted for some carvin silencer as a replacement.Since the replacement i miss the trade mark engine sound.Is there a fix for this?

I also noticed some drop in the mad rush acceleration that i used to get previously.
The loss in power could be related to the silencer change. Never heard of Carvin. You could get your original silencer repaired by a tinker and fix it back. This should fix the power loss.

P.S dont give too much importance to the 'Old' remark. Mine is a 98 esteem about to complete 2 Lakhs and the engine still sings.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 23rd April 2013 at 15:49.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 13:36   #130
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: BLR/CCU
Posts: 95
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Thanks for your inputs esteem lover.
I know there are many petrol heads in the forum from Kolkata.Can someone guide me to a member from kolkata who is an esteem head?
I need to discuss the issues with him and he can guide regarding the worshops and stuff as the MASS in kolkata are rip offs and uninformed morons.
I had also observed the engine getting fairly hot to the point i feel the the heat while driving insidemthe cabin.There is no coolant spill or engine warning light.
Tha maruti folks tpld me the radiator fan is operated by a bimetallic strip so there is no question of question of hitech errors there.
i have noticed that the fan start off if the engine is switched off but battery is on and stops when i start the engine.its just that the fan running has become erratic.
adneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 11:39   #131
BHPian
 
Altocumulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BLR / KOL
Posts: 605
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Thanks for your inputs esteem lover.
I know there are many petrol heads in the forum from Kolkata.Can someone guide me to a member from kolkata who is an esteem head?
I need to discuss the issues with him and he can guide regarding the worshops and stuff as the MASS in kolkata are rip offs and uninformed morons.
I had also observed the engine getting fairly hot to the point i feel the the heat while driving insidemthe cabin.There is no coolant spill or engine warning light.
Tha maruti folks tpld me the radiator fan is operated by a bimetallic strip so there is no question of question of hitech errors there.
i have noticed that the fan start off if the engine is switched off but battery is on and stops when i start the engine.its just that the fan running has become erratic.
Hello Adneo,

Am from Kol and an 'esteem head' I have a very good contact in Machino Techno if you are willing to try out. Also the other options are Alok Automobiles in Topsia and Joydeb in Chetla. The latter two are the ones in Kolkata who tune esteems for rallies.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 18:44   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 650 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Esteem Owners,
I also have an esteem 2000 carb model. Anyone have a Parts Catalogue of this carb model?
Sorry for the late bump,
Alok, Did you get this?
I just placed order for the parts catalogue.
Costing me Rs 220, I should be getting it by Friday or Saturday. He had 3 in Stock. I am getting one for myself.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 18:58   #133
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 552
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Alok, Did you get this?
No, I did not tried, because I need part number of carburetor and after esteem_loverís comment I dropped the idea to go and argue with service center.
But it is very cheap in just Rs220/- and good to get (I was expecting 2-3k for this).
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 12:39   #134
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: BLR/CCU
Posts: 95
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Hello Adneo,

Am from Kol and an 'esteem head' I have a very good contact in Machino Techno if you are willing to try out. Also the other options are Alok Automobiles in Topsia and Joydeb in Chetla. The latter two are the ones in Kolkata who tune esteems for rallies.
Thanks for your reply.
Going by your display image it seems you have one of those last gen 2007 esteems and since it has fog lamps it might be a vxi spec.Is there any difference in performance from the older one's?
Anyways coming back to the point i dont know the forum rules about sharing contact details as i am new but i would like to discus regarding my car with you.

Thanks
adneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 16:21   #135
BHPian
 
Altocumulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BLR / KOL
Posts: 605
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: Maruti Esteem Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Thanks for your reply.
Going by your display image it seems you have one of those last gen 2007 esteems and since it has fog lamps it might be a vxi spec.Is there any difference in performance from the older one's?
Anyways coming back to the point i dont know the forum rules about sharing contact details as i am new but i would like to discus regarding my car with you.

Thanks
PM me your number. I will call you back. When are you in Kolkata next ?

Yes it is a Vxi trim. I haven't driven the older MPFi models but the 98 carb ones. There is a huge difference there. I don't think there was any difference between a 2003 and a 2007 engine.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Esteem fuel pump(mpfi) in esteem-carb tank techn0l0gist Technical Stuff 0 13th June 2009 22:03
maruti esteem: being discontinued ? skrishnakumar10 Sedans 14 25th February 2005 23:32
maruti esteem automatic aadix The Indian Car Scene 9 19th November 2004 11:56
New Maruti Esteem abhishek_shah The Indian Car Scene 1 2nd August 2004 18:36
Maruti Suzuki...... Liana (ESTEEM) !!! 2fast2furious The Indian Car Scene 15 8th June 2004 23:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks