Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:11   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 780 Times
Default

wont a choked cat con increase back pressure ?
greenhorn is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:18   #122
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,646
Thanked: 3,061 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
wont a choked cat con increase back pressure ?
Yes. What I am indicating is that any fiddling with a Cat will most likely send it to kingdom come! So let sleeping dogs lie.
sgiitk is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:27   #123
BHPian
 
ibm_jennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 529
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Unless it is very badly choked/clogged just leave it as it is.
True for a High Power Engine. But for a TCIC, we find huge improvements after bypassing the cat. I need to clean it once in a 3 months to maintain the performance. Do you recommend me to remove it completely from the car.
ibm_jennifer is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:08   #124
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,646
Thanked: 3,061 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

If you need to clean it every three months then either the cat is shot, or your engine is in a very bad state of tune.

Bypassing the Cat amounts to making the car a polluter (not even EI). Most run of the mill exhausts have enough back pressure so that removing the cat should not damage the engine. Bypassing /removing the cat will definitely improve the performance, but at the cost of the environment. You make your choice.
sgiitk is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:20   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 967 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
True for a High Power Engine. But for a TCIC, we find huge improvements after bypassing the cat. I need to clean it once in a 3 months to maintain the performance. Do you recommend me to remove it completely from the car.
GET rid of the catcon. i never bothered to clean it, just ask MASS to break it away. the performance improved a lot after that.
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:24   #126
Team-BHP Support
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 14,810
Thanked: 2,320 Times
Default

you mean TASS & not MASS right Amit
Technocrat is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:47   #127
BHPian
 
ibm_jennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 529
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
If you need to clean it every three months then either the cat is shot, or your engine is in a very bad state of tune.
No, its not the Bad for an average user, but for me its not in perfect condition after 3 months and I can feel the improvements if I clean it professionally every 3 months..

Quote:
GET rid of the catcon. i never bothered to clean it, just ask MASS to break it away. the performance improved a lot after that.
Done. No more back pressure lag. Thanks for the help. But will it pass the PUC test, if I removed it?
ibm_jennifer is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:55   #128
AVR
BHPian
 
AVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 927
Thanked: 508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
No, its not the Bad for an average user, but for me its not in perfect condition after 3 months and I can feel the improvements if I clean it professionally every 3 months..



Done. No more back pressure lag. Thanks for the help. But will it pass the PUC test, if I removed it?
Hey IJ

Can you elaborate on the performance improvement post removal of the CatCon? Is there a marked improvement that possibly overrides the risk of not being able to get a PUC certrificate ever? Also, is it an easy thing for a mechanic to do?

Cheers,
AVR
AVR is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:00   #129
BHPian
 
ibm_jennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 529
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the performance improvement post removal of the CatCon? Is there a marked improvement that possibly overrides the risk of not being able to get a PUC certrificate ever? Also, is it an easy thing for a mechanic to do?
Yes, I will do.

And yes, any stupid mechanics can do. We are just removing it and lot of sponge like particles there over the walls, working on them...

How is your safari? Have you tried any additives? Also can you please give me the PUC values of your TCIC?
ibm_jennifer is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 18:03   #130
AVR
BHPian
 
AVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 927
Thanked: 508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Yes, I will do.

And yes, any stupid mechanics can do. We are just removing it and lot of sponge like particles there over the walls, working on them...

How is your safari? Have you tried any additives? Also can you please give me the PUC values of your TCIC?
okay thanks.

Have been using System-D as of now which is ok. Due for a service next week or so when I plan to go in for OWS Engine Flush and Fuel Additives as we had discussed earlier thereon.

Well dont remember PUC values off-hand but I know it barely passed the last time it went in for a test so am assuming if I remove the Catcon it will surely not get a PUC certificate!!

Cheers,
AVR
AVR is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 18:06   #131
BHPian
 
ibm_jennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 529
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
OWS Engine Flush and Fuel Additives as we had discussed earlier thereon.
Which Fuel Additive? Have you sources F2-21? Do not mix System-D with Automax.

Quote:
if I remove the Catcon it will surely not get a PUC certificate!!
Mine is only 0.7 with cat and we can go upto 2.5 to fail, I will know you tomorrow without cat. But getting a fake PUC is not a problem here(?)
ibm_jennifer is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 20:05   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 471 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
okay thanks.
Well dont remember PUC values off-hand but I know it barely passed the last time it went in for a test so am assuming if I remove the Catcon it will surely not get a PUC certificate!!

Cheers,
AVR
All this PUC is Bull ####.My Kinetic Nova carb's PUC conforms to Euro II specs

I have seen a PUC failed Esteem give better FE than a passed one.

I believe that what matters is how many kgs of CO and CO2 you put into the atmosphere in say a year and not the ppm/% on a PUC.It is pure common sense that a Premier Padmini1100 which runs on kerosene-PETROL mix and covers 5000 km a year will put out less kgs of CO/CO2 than say a Ritz EuroIV which puts up 25000 km a year.

Our Regulatory authorities will never see reason.
vigsom is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 21:26   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post

Catalytic converter needs ultrasonic cleaning.

Oh My God. I am going to suicide.
Sir, Please do not damage your Catalytic convertor by Ultrasonic cleaning. BTW, Pardon me, but Have you seen how ultrasonic cleaning works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will be very reluctant to fiddle inside a Catalytic Converter. The Cat has a matrix coated with the catalyst (at one time Platinum/Palladium). The matrix is pretty fine and delicate. I will be loathe to even tap it sharply to displace the carbon etc. which may deposit in there. A solvent / ultrasonic clean is definitely out. The best way to clean a Cat is to allow it to warm up fully. It burns out the crud.
+10 to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Its True and a Head-ache to clean the Catalytic converter regularly. I am just thinking to brake it completely in my next trip to the workshop.
And how do you propose to join it back?
headers is offline  
Old 3rd July 2009, 21:35   #134
BHPian
 
ibm_jennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 529
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Sir, Please do not damage your Catalytic convertor by Ultrasonic cleaning. BTW, Pardon me, but Have you seen how ultrasonic cleaning works.
Do you mind to explain this to a junior?

Process for regenerating catalytic converters - US Patent 6241826 Description

Quote:
And how do you propose to join it back?
Do you believe TATA makes a molded catalytic?
ibm_jennifer is offline  
Old 4th July 2009, 07:23   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Do you mind to explain this to a junior?

Process for regenerating catalytic converters - US Patent 6241826 Description

Do you believe TATA makes a molded catalytic?
Thank you sir - Now I am clear where you come from. All the best with your "google experiments".

Afterall TATAs have made trucks to serve India for the last 50 years which have and are still being maintained by unqualified mechanics
headers is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel additives and octane boosters....do they really work? Shan2nu Technical Stuff 25 5th September 2015 08:09
Fuel with additives ? Are they good for NEW cars ?? Venkatr Shifting gears 6 23rd February 2009 14:30
Fuel Additives nosfreak Motorbikes 1 14th November 2007 07:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks