Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th August 2008, 05:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by simran View Post
What would be a good way to check for this? Smell the fabric when you are buying/installing it? I guess the least damaging fabric would be the towel stuff that is sold.
I only bought it because the stuff looked good and was offered to me at grey market prices by the dealer(He was making the cut elsewhere, but anyway).

The problem with this material is, nothing is obvious, until you have the covers inside the car and park it in the sun, to get the covers hot enough, when they start emitting this irritant gas. It really burns the eyes when the seat cover is new, but the effect fades as the material gets older and it starts emitting lesser and lesser of the toxic gas.

Maybe one's tolerance level for this acrid stuff also goes up as time goes by, I guess.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 06:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Is there a smell associated with it that is more like a dead animal or is it like a glue or paint kind of smell?

I am wondering if your blower is shorted out and slowly melting plastic insulation or blower parts. Or, is there a dead mouse or rat in your AC vent tube. But is it a plastic smell or a organic (rat) smell?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 29th August 2008 at 06:10.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 12:25   #33
Team-BHP Support

Maybe, it's a good idea to cross-check the smell in another new Alto? Then you know whether it's your car in particular, or standard across new cars.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 12:48   #34
Awaiting Email Confirmation

OK I was washing my car yesterday and somehow some water entered inside the cabin. The rear seat covers also got wet. I tried to soak the water on the floor with wet cloth and later used the same cloth to wipe off the droplets from the seat covers.
In the process, i used that same wet cloth all over the covers and let them dry in the sun.

The condition was much better today morning. The effect is fading away.
nitin.dangayach is offline   Reply With Quote