Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th September 2008, 17:46   #1
BHPian

Default Overhauling Engine -TATA Sierra

Hello,

I wanted to Overhaul my 94 model seirra engine.its a NA engine.some suggestions needed for this
1)Where in Bangalore should i get my engine overhauled,any good mech(contact number please)
2)What all points should i take care of,such has should i get the spares or ask the mech himself to get them
3)Should i give it to TASS but i think they charge more
4) When i do complete overhaul what is the actual process(re bore,sleeve etc)
5)What will be the approx cost

Thanks
vamsi

Mods:did a search but didnt find a similar thread,please merge if there is a thread already
reddy6980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:01   #2
BHPian

Unhappy

99 Views and No Replies
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:31   #3
BHPian

I can help if you are in Chennai, BUT SORRY I have no idea about bangalore.
ibm_jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:23   #4
BHPian

Thanks ibm_jennifer,can you tel me what will be the approx cost for overhauling the engine.

Anybody from bangalore please help
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:25   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That NA engine puts out 68 horses, right? Since you love the Sierra, why not sell your NA Sierra and put the difference toward a Turbo Sierra? It won't be easy to find, sure....but you could get lucky!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That NA engine puts out 68 horses, right? Since you love the Sierra, why not sell your NA Sierra and put the difference toward a Turbo Sierra? It won't be easy to find, sure....but you could get lucky!
Thats a Good option but my dad is a little attached to this vehicle inspite of he being the second owner,and also he doesn't do more then 10 km daily and once in blue moon he touches the highways,so i think just overhauling would be fine budgetwise
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:46   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, in that case:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
1)Where in Bangalore should i get my engine overhauled,any good mech(contact number please)
Plenty of Bangalore recommendations on the forum. Use the search.

Quote:
2)What all points should i take care of,such has should i get the spares or ask the mech himself to get them
As long as you trust the mechanic, and he is reputable, you need'nt buy the spares yourself. However, do visit the garage ever so often to check the work in progress.

Quote:
3)Should i give it to TASS but i think they charge more
4) When i do complete overhaul what is the actual process(re bore,sleeve etc)
5)What will be the approx cost
I believe in using authorised channels, especially if you are able to find a good service station. I say, get estimates from either option and if the difference is not much, pick the authorised.

IIRC, a friend got his seized Sierra turbo engine overhauled for 65K. Yours would probably be lesser as it is a running engine?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Next time you see a Sumo cabbie, tap the window and ask him who is the best mech in town for Sumos.

If possible, get turbo kit fitted from the Sumo turbo.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 15:56   #9
BHPian

Thanks GTO,have been using Search with many keywords such as "Bangalore Diesel Mechanics","Workshops Bangalore" etc but they are not giving me any Mechanics name.Anyway will try with some keywords or will ask a sumo cab driver
Old 24th September 2008, 23:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had searched for a Sierra Turbo for 3 months. With no luck. That was back in 2004, in Mumbai. I don't think the chances would be any better now.

If you are planning to turbo your NA, I would suggest you rather not. The blocks are very different, alongwith the head design. Both have very different locations for crankcase breathers et.al. I had mulled that option for my N.A. Sierra, and had decided against it.

A basic overhaul would cost you close to 27-30 grand, including labour, inclusive of machining. It cost me 22 grand back in 2002. You get a TATA OE overhaul kit for the 483 DL IDI. Some of the parts included would be;

Pistons, piston rings, gudgeon pins, conrods, conrod fasteners, bearings (crank & conrod), sleeves (block machining required), gasket set, crank stub key. And for the head, poppets, guides, retainers, springs, seats, cam bearings, and oil seals. It is also advisable to service the fuel pump alongside, but only from a authorised station experienced in handling pumps. I'm assuming you have a Bosch unit. Don't bother if you have a Delphi unit, as Sierras used to come with those until 96..

Last edited by veyron1 : 24th September 2008 at 23:14.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 02:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a lot of work. I guess see if you can find a turbo engine from a crashed Sumo Turbo. Sell your engine and forget rebuild.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 09:01   #12
BHPian

Default Workshop for Sierra in BLR

Prerana Motors (both Old Madras Rd and Peenya) is the only TASS among the known ones who service the Sierra.

Among non-TASS, Raam Cool Cars, Bannerghatta Rd, is a place where without the usual reluctance they work on Sierras - both NA and Turbo. You may talk to Ram - 9880172727 for details.

At Prerana you may talk to Raghavendra, service advisor - 9845488242. He does not let the obsolete vehicle thing get in the way to do any repair.

At both places you can refer my name, depending on the work I take my 97 model Turbo to one of the above places.

About cost: I got mine in engine rebored condition, therefore can't say about cost incurred, and have been using for the last 18 months without issues - have driven 25K kms.

From what i have heard from others, at non-TASS people have got the work done for less than 30K in Calicut, 35K-50K in BLR. It varies depending on workshop and the works carried out.

PM me if you need any more info. Shall be happy to help you

Sierras are rare and Sierra lovers are even rarer these days!
Viju
vijuvarghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 09:28   #13
BHPian

Hey veyron1,

Thank u very much for the answers,thats a detailed report.one small question after rebuilding the engine when we switch the AC on and ride will the vehicle feel sluggish.what will be the Top speed in Highways.
Old 26th September 2008, 03:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Welcome, reddy. Anytime. Regarding top whack, forget flooring the throttle for the first 1500 kms. The engine will show fatigue, and would overheat in most cases. Although the N.A. engine can pull the Sierra to a healthy 125 kmph+, stick to below 100 in 5th on highways, where the revs read below 2750 RPM. Yes, switching the A/C on will bog the car down; the NA version suffers a lot from lack of power. If you have the 110cc Subros compressor, I would suggest you to refrain from using it till the engine's run-in. Maybe intermittently to even the engine load over the run-in period, but not consistently.

FYI, servicing the fuel pump would solve most issues, if your only intention is to decrease the car's "smoking" problems....which should cost anywhere between 7-15 grand....
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 09:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Although the N.A. engine can pull the Sierra to a healthy 125 kmph+, stick to below 100 in 5th on highways, where the revs read below 2750 RPM. Yes, switching the A/C on will bog the car down; the NA version suffers a lot from lack of power.
Is this in the running period or entire engine life,if its in the entire engine life then its better to swap with a turbo engine what say veyron1 but i think even the transmission should also be changed right.