Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th February 2009, 08:25   #16

Originally Posted by manim View Post
I have the same problem in my AT. The car shudders and the steering wheel vibrates. I am planning to get the front brake pads replaced. I was given an estimate of Rs.5,100/- for the pads. I have done 35K kms.

Can you let me know if your problem had already been solved? and How? Thanks.
This sounds like classic case of warped rotors, if you don't have vibrations otherwise and it only happens under braking then the rotors are warped, also when they do the rotors, tell them to check the front wheel bearings.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 09:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by GTO View Post
First problem seems to be the handbrake, as other Civic owners have posted. Either that or it is your automatic transmission hibernating. I remember this syndrome in my room-mates Accord from the States.
Not likely GTO, unless something is wrong and is showing up as a symptom on the Auto transmission.

Our Accord is sparingly used and its quite often that we start it after 10-12 days. Never had such a problem. Ever.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 09:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
guys..i too have a similar problem with my M/T civic, when i start the car after 2 or more days, i too get a loud "TAK" noise from the rear of the car as if something is stuck. i keep my car parked with the handbrake on. my car is 10 months old and driven only 5k km. whatseems to be the issue here?
Same experience here in my previous Corolla and the current Corolla Altis.

But not to worry, it is just the parking brake shoe that's coming unstuck. Before someone tells me that the car has disc brakes and not drum here's the explanation, look carefully and you will see a small drum at the centre of your rear disc brake where the wheel is mounted (mating surface). That is the parking brake drum+shoe mechanism.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th February 2009 at 09:32.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 22:56   #19

Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
The dashboard of my Honda Civic MT rattles like a epileptic rattle snake two months post I bought it [that was Sept 2006, the car is May 2006 make]. Numerous complaints, fixes, refixes have not helped. The problem reappears every thousand km or so.

To use a bad pun, I now shudder at the thought of owning any honda ever.
I too get low tick-tick sound (not exactly rattle) some where near/around steering when my civic MT goes over bumpy road. This is a day one problem. I have never reported it as I had couple of other issues.

I had an accident last month, and my left fender got damaged. I have replaced it, but I get some rattling sound from left side of dash. Honda service folks want to remove dash to inspect, which I am bit skeptical about.
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote