Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2009, 00:57   #31
BHPian
 
gultajkanwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 25
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its burning oil after overhaul??

Did you overheated the engine in any of your trips/drive etc.?

Please post in detail!
no sir alec, actually the job was done by a local but competent mechanic(in my opinion i thought), and the block was completely overhauled with new rings, pistons, sleeves, main engine beering, etc and sundries, but the head was not touched as he said that its in fine condition, now the car gives white smoke on cold starts and also post idling for some time, guzzles about a litre of oil for every 1000 kms. i just got a compression test done from the hyundai dealer and following were the results,
dry test:
cyl1: 12.5 kg/cm2
cyl2: 16.0
cyl3: 16.5
cyl 4: 16.2
wet test: 20 kg/cm2.
pls help me guys spent around 20k on the repair and dont want to sack off my baby, what to do now??????? also can somebody crack the compression test figures and tell me if they are ok or not???? should i go for the head overhaul or complete overhaul once again???????
gultajkanwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 03:24   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

frankly speaking I am not much of a hyundai fan, hence haven't kept any service manual for it. So I do not know compression data of accent.
But you can download from Hyundai Service Website

As far as your problem is concerned do the following.
1. any traces of oil in coolant in the ratiator
2. any sign of leakage of oil on engine (especially where head sits)

In my opnion its defintely a bad overhaul job.

PS: BTW what did the hyundai guys who checked the compression said about the test.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 07:59   #33
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Your wet readings are not over 30psi so rings look OK however, it still looks like a poorly done machine job. Local lathe machines can't do the job with tolerances close to factory specs and therefore you invariably have poor seal as well as overheating issues. Changing the head won't do any good, do you have blue smoke coming out of your exhaust or white smoke when you start the engine cold?
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 16:26   #34
BHPian
 
gultajkanwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 25
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
frankly speaking I am not much of a hyundai fan, hence haven't kept any service manual for it. So I do not know compression data of accent.
But you can download from Hyundai Service Website

As far as your problem is concerned do the following.
1. any traces of oil in coolant in the ratiator
2. any sign of leakage of oil on engine (especially where head sits)

In my opnion its defintely a bad overhaul job.

PS: BTW what did the hyundai guys who checked the compression said about the test.
hi there,
no trace of oil in coolant,
some oily dirt is there where the head sits but no sign of any major leakage as such,
hyundai says they need to open the engine and analyse it as the readings for cyl 1 are below the mark, and since the previous job is not hyundai authorised so they'll probably (if required) have to go for a complete overhaul which they say might cost anywhere between 60 to 70k.
gultajkanwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 16:30   #35
BHPian
 
gultajkanwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 25
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Your wet readings are not over 30psi so rings look OK however, it still looks like a poorly done machine job. Local lathe machines can't do the job with tolerances close to factory specs and therefore you invariably have poor seal as well as overheating issues. Changing the head won't do any good, do you have blue smoke coming out of your exhaust or white smoke when you start the engine cold?
i'd say its whitish blue, surprisingly there's no smoke when the engine is revved hard at standstill. i personally feel that the valve seals might be the culprit here. during regular running the car seems quite smooth and peppy, there doesnt seem to be any loss of power. good economy as well, gave me 16 k's to a litre on highway run recently. and about 12 in city.

p.s and guys thanks for the concern and replies.
gultajkanwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 18:30   #36
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gultajkanwal View Post
i'd say its whitish blue, surprisingly there's no smoke when the engine is revved hard at standstill. i personally feel that the valve seals might be the culprit here. during regular running the car seems quite smooth and peppy, there doesnt seem to be any loss of power. good economy as well, gave me 16 k's to a litre on highway run recently. and about 12 in city.

p.s and guys thanks for the concern and replies.
If your valve seals are shot, usually it would be indicated by blue smoke during de-acceleration.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excessive engine oil consumption in the VAG TSI engines Speeding@160mph Technical Stuff 63 13th June 2017 23:47
Performance For A Hyundai Accent 1.6 GLS? ollie Modifications & Accessories 19 19th January 2015 18:13
Hyundai accent 2001 glx engine oil consumption gultajkanwal Technical Stuff 1 13th March 2009 21:02
Suggest me, Esteem vxi, Hyundai Accent GLE/GLS or Corsa 1.4/1.6 willy Sedans 63 9th June 2008 19:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks