Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th September 2008, 13:40   #1
BHPian

Default Palio 1.6 Stile Sport - very low mileage. Advice / help?

Hi all,

The black beast has run about 8k now, second servicing is done. I just tried calculating the mileage on a full tank and its about 6kmpl (with AC on ~70% of the time). I have no idea what to do. I live in Bangalore and yes, quite a bit of time is spent creeping through traffic, but I am somehow led to believe that 6kmpl is still bad, given any parameters.

Any advice, tips for improving mileage? Should I try to get an A/F map and see if I can lean it out a bit? Or is there something wrong with my driving sty(i)le? ( hehe..)

Please help. If this kinda mileage is all I am gonna get, I'll have to reconsider as I love taking long drives and I'll be getting bankrupt pretty quick.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oops, 6 kpl is too less, ideally you should get around 9 - 11 kpl in City!
Something is wrong with your Palio Stile 1.6, can you get it checked at GreenTracks, Hosur Road, contact: Babu (Service-in-charge).
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Try changing your fuel bunk. Maybe its adulterated.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

A lot depends on your driving style. Creeping is OK as long as you dont ride the clutch.

But if all your driving is creeping all the time, then look at alternate ways to get to work!

The car should give you 13 - 15 on the highways at 90-120 kph!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

If changing the bunk and curbing your right foot also does not yeild better result. Then head straight to the A.S.S for them to check the car out.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax
Should I try to get an A/F map and see if I can lean it out a bit?
You don't like your engine??
If you lean it out, the engine will run hot and wear and tear increases exponentially.
6kmpl in a Palio 1.6 is a rare case.But, possible.
Check air filter, fuelling and plugs.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:52   #7
BHPian

Will do as advised. Thanks guys.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:04   #8
BANNED

You might be lugging the engine in Bangalore traffic without realizing it. Please try upshifting at 15-30-45-60 for 2-3-4-5 for the next tankful.

Plus, what's your daily run like in terms of distance?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 15:13   #9
JVH
Senior - BHPian

My recently acquired GTX (10 days old) returned me an average of 8 kmpl but this was because am still getting used to its driving style having driven a zen before.

My guess is clutch work is the culprit. As suggested by members, try contacting Babu of Greentracks. You can also try Concorde motors, mysore road. They are upgrading their service station and recently a team of Italian engineers paid a visit to ensure the *** quality (am not sure how good that will be). Contact person - Mr. Badami
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 15:33   #10
BHPian

Daily run is about 30kms roundtrip (BTM - Sarjapur). Please correct my driving style in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I'll try to describe it as best as possible below:

1. If in downhill, leave car in neutral and just roll forward instead of using accelerator.
2. In even ground, if there is heavy traffic, use 1st and hopefully 2nd to move forward and put in neutral and coast to the next stop.
3. In uphill, use e-brake and neutral to stay and use 1st and hopefully 2nd to go forward.
4. I orient myself better on RPMs and so my typical shifting is about 3-4k rpm.
5. Rarely in an open road, when there is not much traffic, I wind it out to 5-6k rpm.
6. Highways are usually spent in 5th and 100-120 kmph maintained.

I somehow am suspecting the bunk (Indian Oil bunk in BTM near Jayadeva flyover). I'll change over to another one and see what happens.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Daily run is about 30kms roundtrip (BTM - Sarjapur). Please correct my driving style in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I'll try to describe it as best as possible below:

1. If in downhill, leave car in neutral and just roll forward instead of using accelerator.
2. In even ground, if there is heavy traffic, use 1st and hopefully 2nd to move forward and put in neutral and coast to the next stop.
3. In uphill, use e-brake and neutral to stay and use 1st and hopefully 2nd to go forward.
4. I orient myself better on RPMs and so my typical shifting is about 3-4k rpm.
5. Rarely in an open road, when there is not much traffic, I wind it out to 5-6k rpm.
6. Highways are usually spent in 5th and 100-120 kmph maintained.

I somehow am suspecting the bunk (Indian Oil bunk in BTM near Jayadeva flyover). I'll change over to another one and see what happens.
1] Reply to point 1- While going downhill, keep the car running in 2nd,3rd or 4th, depending on the gradient. Do not shift to neutral in any case. Keeping the car in a gear would a) keep the car in control & b) it will avoid overheating of brake pads.

4] Reply to point 4- 3K to 4k is way too much for normal usage. Try upshifting at 2K rpm in city condition and 3-3.5K rpm on highways. Changing your driving style in this manner will significantly bring down fuel consumption.

5] Reply to point 5 - Try drive in overdrive(5th) gear for most part of your highway journey @ 80-100 kmph and you will be surprised by the mileage figures, which for me hover around 16-18 kmpl with a/c on highways.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 15:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

well my car has been abused in every possible way and I dont think I have yet got 6kmpl fuel comsumption is bad while driving in heavy traffic with lots of idling situations but it is mostly around 8 in those situations

not to be insulting but are you sure you calculated the mileage properly ? try over 2-3 tanks and see if you still get the same.

next alternative is to try an alternative petrol pump and also try using premium if your wallet agrees with it.

also dont ride the clutch. as far as possible make sure it is engaged all the way to the floor rather than half clutching to avoid wear.

Last edited by bottle : 8th September 2008 at 16:00.
bottle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 16:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

1- Change your petrol pump
2 - Use System G/D
3- Change your driving style

Follow these one at a time in order to ascertain the source of the problem. Do not try to do everything together.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 16:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max
I orient myself better on RPMs and so my typical shifting is about 3-4k rpm.
rpms seem too high to me for gear changes, which could be one of the possible reasons. I would think it should be a good idea (for FE ie.) if you would change gears at between 2-2.5k rpm. Apart from this, also try out some other fuel-bunk.

P.S. : What do you mean by "I orient myself better on RPMs".
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 16:35   #15
BHPian

Smile

I'm no expert to dispense advise.

My palio stile 1.6 gives 10 ~ 10.5 KMPL with 100% AC.
Least I've got is 9KMPL. More than 60% of the time I'm crawling in the traffic.

Highways I average about 16 ~ 17.5 KMPL

I use IOC normal fuel.

Cheers
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote