Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th November 2008, 16:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

expecation of boost at 2000 is a bit high i guess. full boost may take a bit longer...
why planning to get g-tech pro just for testing? can get a dyno pull done for lesser i guess. g-tech should give you a good gesstimate. not accurate. but fairly OK.
turbo from diesel junkyard? you should be kidding!!! do a bit more research....
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 17:02   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Amit, forget junkyard turbo's. You will only end up blowing whatever is left over of your engine. Not many people even know how to rebuild turbos given all the stuff here.

TCing a carbed car doesn't seem fun actually. Its a bloody nightmare.

If you want boost to kick in early, pick up a smaller turbo. Preferably a T20.

But most importantly, choose your exhaust manifold design properly. Unless you are looking at importing it.

Pick the right size intercooler & most importantly get the plumbing right with the right silicon hoses. Don't compromise/skimp on the stuff to get a cheap build. You will always end up compromising on reliability.

Stick to sane boost levels, and you will be good to go. And kindly get a aftermarket ECU for handling fueling and ignition. It helps a lot.

@ Kutlee: Aren't you the guy with the TCed OHC? How come no report on it?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 20:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
why planning to get g-tech pro just for testing? can get a dyno pull done for lesser i guess. g-tech should give you a good gesstimate. not accurate. but fairly OK.
turbo from diesel junkyard? you should be kidding!!! do a bit more research....
Kutlee, there are no dynos in Goa(where I shall be doing the build) and a g-tech costs around $200 and I get to keep it. OTOH a dyno run lasts only for a while and when I do changes I need to shell out $$ again for it. from what I have heard a g-tech would cost almost the the same if not less than how much a series of dyno runs would cost to get a vehicle tuned to perfection

Also about the diesel turbo thingy, i'm not a tuner - just a hobbyist , so I'm learning as I do things, I read a lot of theory about why diesel turbos should be used, however I have experienced _the_ swift turbo from bangalore which runs on a VI-21 turbo(and it's so damn fast!) which apparently is also used on diesels - that's why I asked about using turbos from Indian diesel cars as I can't seem to find their specs anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Amit, forget junkyard turbo's. You will only end up blowing whatever is left over of your engine. Not many people even know how to rebuild turbos given all the stuff here.
hmm, point taken rahul - so new turbo it is then

Quote:
TCing a carbed car doesn't seem fun actually. Its a bloody nightmare.

If you want boost to kick in early, pick up a smaller turbo. Preferably a T20.
Yes, I know it's going to be a nightmare - the plan is to install the turbo with a modded carb and check how the car runs(if at all it does!) using a wideband O2 sensor, and play around with it. If I can't get the carb to run well - then i guess it's a trip to buy a new head or try something custom like Throttle body injection, get an ECM and do all the wiring and stuff.

I guess I might need to change the fuel tank or do some juggad and add fuel pump from the mpfi esteem while retaining the same tank, I'd like to hear from the experts though

Quote:
But most importantly, choose your exhaust manifold design properly. Unless you are looking at importing it.

Pick the right size intercooler & most importantly get the plumbing right with the right silicon hoses. Don't compromise/skimp on the stuff to get a cheap build. You will always end up compromising on reliability.
yes sir, will take care of that - the manifold I plan to make - got a couple of books on the theory, but i'll have to do read all that and find someone to build it for me(no tuner for me - can't afford one, so I will have to do it myself )

Quote:
Stick to sane boost levels, and you will be good to go. And kindly get a aftermarket ECU for handling fueling and ignition. It helps a lot.
Hmm the other car i.e the MPFI one will run on aftermarket ECU, and from what I've read on the forum 7-8 psi sounds to be safe so it shall stick to that.

About the carb esteem, I'm not sure - my guess is that the carb esteem could run at higher psi to produce the same output as the mpfi esteem(due to the 8 valve head) - experts please do correct me if i am wrong.
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:26   #19
BHPian

I wouldnt suggest the G-TECH (or the iphone accelerometer ) .. It has never been accurate enough, just for an example, i used to get a 0-100 of 9.3 to 9.6 secs on the gtech pro RR (in all possible configs and calibrations) , but the V-BOX recorded 11.8s - 12.3s .
rdkarthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 11:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkarthik View Post
I wouldnt suggest the G-TECH (or the iphone accelerometer ) .. It has never been accurate enough, just for an example, i used to get a 0-100 of 9.3 to 9.6 secs on the gtech pro RR (in all possible configs and calibrations) , but the V-BOX recorded 11.8s - 12.3s .
that's quite off the mark! how accurate are the horsepower readings, are they very much off the mark too ?
Old 11th November 2008, 13:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

My two cents a carby setup would be ok if you go the drawthrough route it will be much simpler than doing a blowthrough setup.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 14:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

diesel junkyard shouldn't be the place. may be a new turbo. size does matter. so does the boost.
mclaren...yes i do. about report..just like that...no report. not enough time..
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 14:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
My two cents a carby setup would be ok if you go the drawthrough route it will be much simpler than doing a blowthrough setup.
yes, draw through looks simple and straightforward, but i'm kind of tempted to go the whole distance of doing the blowthrough setup with an intercooler (still need to figure out where to fit the intercooler and still keep the AC)
Old 11th November 2008, 21:19   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
mclaren...yes i do. about report..just like that...no report. not enough time..
Come on, kutlee. MAKE some time to write a report. Would like to see some pics, some figures and the OHC's take on reliability. Very few TCed cars in here. It will help us all keep a log and give us all a first hand experience of living with a turbo OHC.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 21:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Drawthrough will lead to fuel-pooling, superheating, and melted turbo blades soon.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 22:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

For DIY, Fuel injected setup is recommended. Highly recommended.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 23:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
For DIY, Fuel injected setup is recommended. Highly recommended.
I am getting a wideband o2 sensor soon, and I can build my own AFR meter, the plan is the tune the carburetor with the same.

I've been hearing from everyone that carburetor setup can be a nightmare - I wanted to know from all you guys as to what are the problems that might result in a carb setup gone wrong.

Waiting for inputs on what can go wrong with a blow through carb turbo.

Thanks Everyone,

Amit
Old 11th November 2008, 23:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Drawthrough will lead to fuel-pooling, superheating, and melted turbo blades soon.
Hmm just curious, from what I've read some of the factory turbo cars have been drawthrough. What exactly is the reason for the fuel-pooling, superheating and melted turbo blades?

P.S: mods sorry for the quick second post

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 11th November 2008 at 23:28.
Old 12th November 2008, 23:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Centrifugal forces will sooner or later make fuel pool on the walls of the turbo. Addedly, the hot walls of the turbo might lead to fuel detonation. You're better off going the blow-through + intercooler route, especially in Indian heat. Just my 2 cents.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 01:43   #30
BHPian

thanks v1p3r, i think for the carb esteem too we'd go the blowthrough route

I had another doubt, for all you guys who've gone the turbo way - how have you all managed to connect the oil feed lines to the turbo ?

Where does one connect the oil feed line, and where does one connect the oil drain line ? What does that involve ?

I assume the water line would be a straight forward tap into one of the coolant hoses - anything special needs to be done here too ?

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 13th November 2008 at 01:47.