Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th March 2012, 03:09   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Revving the engine.. How often do you do it

What I try to do is do one night drive every week or two and give the car its legs for a bit. Rev it up, drive it hard. Of course, my first priority is doing it safely, but still.

The reason is as simple as using the entire range of revs. I try not to rev the engine in neutral and at standstill unless I am forced to. High revving is one or two drag type drives on empty roads at night.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 17:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I try not to rev the engine in neutral and at standstill unless I am forced to. High revving is one or two drag type drives on empty roads at night.
Can you explain why don't you rev in neutral please ? I find it too difficult to red line my DDiS in city because of its turbo kick over 2k RPM. So I always raise the engine's RPM once in a while in my parking lot. (Diesel Exhaust Smells Awful while reving ).

But, Now after reading your post I am wondering if am I doing the right thing..
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 17:30   #48
BHPian

My redline's at 6000rpm, but my manual says max power at 5250rpm ie 105bhp. So if I'm only looking at getting out max power, then the only thing I'm doing over the remaining 750rpm to redline is burning petrol with no significant gain, correct ?
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 19:07   #49
BHPian

This redlining is called Italian TuneUp. This is done only when all parts of car is in good condition. There are few threads here in which this is discussed. Also here is wiki page:

Italian tuneup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do it once in every ~100kms. Mine is '99 Carb Zen with no rev limiter clocked 94K kms. Its recommended to do it when engine is warm, put it in 2nd/1st and try to rev the engine till max (you can take). Take it to 3K then 4K then 5K and lastly 6~6.5K. Keep in each step for few time. Do not go 0->6.5K, this can damage the engine/gearbox/etc.

Some people do it in neutral, but i think this isnt recommended. I do it rarely in my basement to hear the engine roar! Its so awesome feeling...

My tacho shows 7.3K rpm max!
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 19:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Can you explain why don't you rev in neutral please ? I find it too difficult to red line my DDiS in city because of its turbo kick over 2k RPM. So I always raise the engine's RPM once in a while in my parking lot. (Diesel Exhaust Smells Awful while reving ).

But, Now after reading your post I am wondering if am I doing the right thing..
If you have a turbo charged engine, NEVER, rev an engine in neutral. The reason for this is that your turbo is spooled up with the revving, but engine oil is not circulating. Understand a good turbo can rev as high as 100,000 RPM and you can understand what damage can be done if there is no lubrication for long periods of time.

What I will suggest is take the car out maybe one night a week and find some long and empty roads and do a drag or two. Should be satisfactory
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 20:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

This is not pertaining to cars but to my R.E.Bullet. Till about a fortnight my son was revving the engine immediately when kick started in the morning,without realizing that in bullets the engine oil settles down in the sump during the night, thus when started in the morning it takes a while for the engine oil to reach the tapppets and cylinders,So now he has started to let the bike in idling it for a while before riding off.Gurus pls say if it is RIGHT OR WRONG???
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 21:07   #52
BHPian

In the i10 AT, pretty often to 5.5K - the autobox doesn't upshift if one drivesaggressively/put overdrive off

Accord AT - rarely over 4K. Pretty tough to redline - accelerates way too quickly for peak hour city traffic.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 21:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI
This is not pertaining to cars but to my R.E.Bullet. Till about a fortnight my son was revving the engine immediately when kick started in the morning,without realizing that in bullets the engine oil settles down in the sump during the night, thus when started in the morning it takes a while for the engine oil to reach the tapppets and cylinders,So now he has started to let the bike in idling it for a while before riding off.Gurus pls say if it is RIGHT OR WRONG???
The cold engine should not be revved hard. This its true for cars and bikes both.
carbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 18:32   #54
BHPian

This is what happens if you rev or continuosly redline a cars engine. Link to the youtube video

Found this on pakwheels. You can hear the morons surrounding the car and understand that this was done intentionally. Black smoke from the beginning seems to indicate an existing engine problem. But too bad such a good looking car fell into bad hands.

Last edited by Ford5 : 19th March 2012 at 18:33.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote