Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th September 2008, 21:10   #46
BHPian

Thank you Srini for so painstaking and detailed info. But I was honestly hoping that people don't put Maruti 800 or Alto as case.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 21:24   #47
BHPian

I was browsing through a bunch of B segment cars and I accept my mistake in assuming that most modern cars would be able to reach the rpm that is mechanically allowed for a first gear run on real roads.

The scenario might change at later course of time when Indian cars and bikes are also given more and more powerful engine as we see in most other countries.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 02:05   #48
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Just as I thought I would not be able to test cars top speed practically in Indian roads, and I would use megazine reports, then I saw Sep-08 ACI, that mentions Indica Vista Quadrajet top speed is 151Kmph. What!! I have crossed 140Kmph in Indica DLS V2, non-turbo, just 53bhp, with four adults on plane road (from Krishnagiri towards Chennai to be specific). Carwale.com has 141Kmph as top speed for Santro Zing. And I have crossed that with two adults on the same road. How can I trust such megazine reports? I will however try to get as much info as possible and post further.
Well, the standard method of testing the top speed is to carry number of speed runs on a straight track in both directions in quick succession to negate the effect of errors from one side such as slope etc. The pair of data which is not co-relating are discarded and other datas are averaged out to get the top speed

Before that, one much have instruments certified from competent authority (such as BIS) with the errors known. FYI, the instruments mounted on vehicles are not certified ones and are for guidance only and not for taking any readings for references. Even if the auto mags gives you the errors of instruments, it does not hold good as two cars (of same series) from same manufacterer can have different readings for given speed.

The makers carry out their own tests, but they do not publish the results for obvious reasons as top speed depends on so many external factors and require highly technical analysis that common man will be more confused. For example, when they carry out the power and speed test for their vehicles, the humidity and air density is also taken into account. And similarly, the F1 people also take those factors into account.
jat is offline   Reply With Quote