Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th September 2008, 13:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Solution for Tight/metallic brake/clutch

Since I have given my AT car for paint, I am driving my old Corsa for the last 2 days, and should drive it for another day. My wife drives it regularly. I find the metallic and hard clutch and brake to be a pain in the foot especially in stop and go. Is there some lining or some material or some replacement that can be made to make it soft. If I drive with soft leather shoes or sports (Nike/Reebok/etc), then also there is no pain.

My wife drives the car, and I would dearly love to solve this problem for her. She does not complain, but a solution to this problem would substantially improve her willingness to drive for longer distances.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 14:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think that's a trait of all Opel Astra's/Corsa's sold here. Compared to the Japs their controls including the steering are pretty heavy. You're probably feeling this only because you must be driving the Corsa after a long period of driving the Corolla.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 15:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

But I faced this problem even when I was only driving the Corsa (till early 2007). In fact this tightness and metallic feel caused some pain and soreness, and hastened my purchase of an AT. Can I do something to alleviate this problem without compromising on clutch or break response. Any after market replacements/products. The steering is all right, the gear box is clunky but no fatigue. The problem is in the clutch and brake.
Old 25th September 2008, 15:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

If the clutch and brakes are hard, the cause could be air in the system.
Get the brakes bled. brake oil change.
Ditto for clutch.
My indica had pretty hard clutch. Around 100,000kms I got the clutch plates changed. The clutch became so light that it was difficult driving the car initially, it felt as if the clutch was free!
If your car has done 60-70K+ kms its could be time for clutch plate change.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 15:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Car has done only 37.5K, brake pads were changed at 35K. I think I have been misunderstood. The problem is not so much with the hardness or otherwise, but with the metal on the clutch and brake, which after 70 kms of up and down from Delhi-Gurgaon in leather shoes causes pain and soreness in the fingers of the feet.
Old 25th September 2008, 20:24   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Metal, as in pedals? Why don't you try bolt on after-market pedals? A soft rubber compound and / or a wider base could help in increasing comfort levels.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 09:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Metal, as in pedals? Why don't you try bolt on after-market pedals? A soft rubber compound and / or a wider base could help in increasing comfort levels.
That is perhaps the solution. Will I get this at major accessory shops.
Old 27th September 2008, 11:57   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup, you should actually be able to procure a wide range at larger shops. Alternatively, you could pick up a set abroad / online.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote