Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th February 2009, 11:51   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
I would personally take RO over any other source. Ironically distilled water sold in India is just ordinary tap water bottled as distilled so the purity is in question. Be safe and use RO.
Gurkha, where and how do I get RO water? Not that I'll ever need it coz my car comes with premixed coolant + deionised water in a 1:1 ratio. I always use the OEM coolant. The question is only TBHP members' info.

Rgds,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 12:03   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Gurkha, where and how do I get RO water? Not that I'll ever need it coz my car comes with premixed coolant + deionised water in a 1:1 ratio. I always use the OEM coolant. The question is only TBHP members' info.

Rgds,
RO= reverse osmosis, very common now in Indian households. OEM or premix is safest to go with.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 12:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Greenhorn, please dont use tap water unless you are sure it is not from a borewell/well.

Filtered municipal water will suffice but the best option is distilled water, the kind you use in batteries. Not sure about the place where you live, but in Pune we get bottled distilled water for use in batteries and radiators.

Rgds.
the tap water we have in our city is from a river . our municipal water is very good, almost as good as bottled mineral water ( except for a bit too much chlorine)

i took the water from our water filter ( boiled + filtered using those clay filters)

the coolant was supposed to be diluted 1:3. I think i approximately mixed to that proportion in a plastic mug

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th February 2009 at 12:12.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 12:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check the label on the anti freeze bottle, higher concentration yields higher boil over point, its actually doing the same, that is raising the pressure due to higher molecular weight of the ethylene glycol as compared to water.
Yes, Gurkha, you are right about this.
The Ethylene Glycol will raise the boiling point too.
The pressurized systems used in cars today will ensure that even plain water will boil at temperatures considerably higher than 100 C.

Quote:
Also, different brands of coolant have different additives which may not be compatible with each other.
There aren't that many additives as you seem to fear.
Antifreeze is basically Ethylene Glycol.
Are there any really incompatible additives that have been known to create sludge or other harmful products?
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 12:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RO= reverse osmosis, very common now in Indian households. OEM or premix is safest to go with.
Ah ok...you're referring to those domestic water filtration/purification machines that use RO tech. Thanks!

Except for my Maruti Esteem, the cars that I own/owned came with OEM premix so never had went thru the hassle of using any aftermarket coolant. Always topped up with the OEM coolant that I bought from the dealer.

Rgds,
Old 8th February 2009, 12:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

i went to a big authorized tata spares shop ( actually they sold only tata stuff). I thought this was what was recommended. only later did i check my manual and see all those recommended premixes. strange that that shop didnt stock any of the recommended stuff!

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th February 2009 at 12:46.
Old 8th February 2009, 12:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i went to a big authorized tata spares shop ( actually they sold only tata stuff). I thought this was what was recommended. only lated did i check my manual and see all those recommended premixes. strange that that shop didnt stock any of the recommended stuff!
LOL, each dealer seems to have his own 'preferred' and 'recommended' brands!
Old 8th February 2009, 12:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There aren't that many additives as you seem to fear.Antifreeze is basically Ethylene Glycol.
Are there any really incompatible additives that have been known to create sludge or other harmful products?
Antifreeze is ethylene glycol with combination of organic and inorganic chemicals. Depending on the type of car and the metals used in the cooling system, antifreeze mfrs especially those that supply to OEMs add the appropriate additives for longer life, corrosion resistance and water pump lubrication.

The simple question is, do I as an owner want to take a risk with the cooling system by mixing coolants? Certainly not. Therefore I recommend draining (and flushing) the system unless I'm sure that the coolant in the system is the same as the new coolant that I purchased.

But in the end it's really your call.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th February 2009 at 12:48.
Old 8th February 2009, 12:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

for me , I noticed the coolant levels dropping when i was at various places. given a choice between running with no coolants and many coolants, i chose the latter.

now that its gonna happen anyway, might as well do it myself since its cheaper
Old 8th February 2009, 12:55   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The simple question is, do I as an owner want to take a risk with the cooling system by mixing coolants? Certainly not. Therefore I recommend draining (and flushing) the system unless I'm sure that the coolant in the system is the same as the new coolant that I purchased.

But in the end it's really your call.
Having mixed different brands of 'coolant' for over 15 years in 4 different vehicles, I'm prone to mix!
Of course it is always one's own call. But there is such a thing as overkill too!
Old 8th February 2009, 12:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
for me , I noticed the coolant levels dropping when i was at various places. given a choice between running with no coolants and many coolants, i chose the latter.

now that its gonna happen anyway, might as well do it myself since its cheaper
If you find the coolant level dropping you may as well check for the source of the leak and fix it.

Given a choice between running with low coolant levels and many coolants, I'd do choose neither. Just top the radiator/bottle with clean filtered water. That's a no risk thing and is what my car mfr recommends.

Rgds,
Old 8th February 2009, 12:59   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having mixed different brands of 'coolant' for over 15 years in 4 different vehicles, I'm prone to mix!
Of course it is always one's own call. But there is such a thing as overkill too!
True...overkill or overly cautious or, at the opposite end, devil-may-care.
Old 8th February 2009, 13:21   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True... or, at the opposite end, devil-may-care.
If devil may care can yield spectacular results as with my cars, more power to the devil!
There was a thread running regarding problems people have had with their cars. (I can't seem to find it).
My entries on that thread were oh so boring: NONE! LOL!
Old 8th February 2009, 14:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If devil may care can yield spectacular results as with my cars, more power to the devil!
There was a thread running regarding problems people have had with their cars. (I can't seem to find it).
My entries on that thread were oh so boring: NONE! LOL!
True, true! At least in this sense more power to the Devil indeed and may yr tribe increase
Old 8th February 2009, 14:07   #75
BANNED

Actually if your engine is hitting over close to 100C its time to worry coolant boil over protection notwithstanding.

Mixing different coolant brands is not at all a good idea. MB, Porsche, Lexus specify their own brands and thats for a reason. Today's vehicle engine blocks use exotic alloy cocktails and the wrong coolant can put holes in them literally. Its always advisable to stick to OEM recommended brands. In US, the Prestone over the counter green stuff is not recommended by most. Only Zerex Z-5 has universal MB approval as well as from others, sadly Zerex is not yet available here in India.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote