Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 14:40   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Mixing different coolant brands is not at all a good idea. MB, Porsche, Lexus specify their own brands and thats for a reason. Today's vehicle engine blocks use exotic alloy cocktails and the wrong coolant can put holes in them literally.
That is a rather definitive and extreme statement, Gurkha!
There is no evidence to support this.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 15:07   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

that may probably be true about the MB and porsche engines. but for the cars that most people run here , like an m800 or an alto or my indica, I wonder if that's true
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 15:17   #78
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
That is a rather definitive and extreme statement, Gurkha!
There is no evidence to support this.
I standy by my contention or am I to assume the otherwise............that manufactuers are talking marketing. Its all about metallurgy here and the plain green ethylene glycol just doesn't cut it, different formulations with different amount of silica comes to play for alloys. If you are using cast iron block and head, then there is nothing to worry about. Some vehicles specify HOAT and they will void warranty if its not used. Honda and BMW use Nikasil, a silicon impgrenated alloy, silicon mixed with wrong coolant chemistry can lead to impending disaster.


Wrong coolant causes problems? - Automotive Message Forums

Wrong Coolant in 2002 Chevy Tahoe 4x4

Coolant Issues

Some reading on how using wrong coolant can ruin engine, headgaskets etc.

Last edited by Gurkha : 8th February 2009 at 15:23.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 15:19   #79
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
that may probably be true about the MB and porsche engines. but for the cars that most people run here , like an m800 or an alto or my indica, I wonder if that's true
Just read the links I posted, long term effects can be bad, also M800 and Indica both have aluminum heads. Why take the risk?
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 15:22   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

all the above links lead to cases where different coolant types ( besides the regular green stuff) were recommended. In most cars here , the regular green stuff works just fine. the question here is , does using different brands of the green stuff cause a problem?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 15:34   #81
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
all the above links lead to cases where different coolant types ( besides the regular green stuff) were recommended. In most cars here , the regular green stuff works just fine. the question here is , does using different brands of the green stuff cause a problem?
If its green stuff and the formulations are same, I wouldn't think so, however bear in mind, Toyota doesnt use green stuff, neither does Honda, Opel and many others. So its not as simple as it was earlier.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 18:45   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Just read the links I posted, long term effects can be bad, also M800 and Indica both have aluminum heads. Why take the risk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
If its green stuff and the formulations are same, I wouldn't think so, however bear in mind, Toyota doesnt use green stuff, neither does Honda, Opel and many others. So its not as simple as it was earlier.
Gurkha, with SPECIALLY formulated coolants/anti freezes maybe damage can result. The only varieties being sold here are the green and you can occasionally see the blue. I do not believe there is any evidence to show severe incompatibility issues with these, even in engines with aluminium heads.
In cars where coolant is a major issue, I expect there is a warning sticker advising the owner about the fact.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 20:43   #83
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Gurkha, with SPECIALLY formulated coolants/anti freezes maybe damage can result. The only varieties being sold here are the green and you can occasionally see the blue. I do not believe there is any evidence to show severe incompatibility issues with these, even in engines with aluminium heads.
In cars where coolant is a major issue, I expect there is a warning sticker advising the owner about the fact.
Toyota uses red, so does Honda, Opel, Skoda, MB use their own which is blue in color.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 20:54   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Toyota uses red, so does Honda, Opel, Skoda, MB use their own which is blue in color.
Strangely, my Gypsy in 1994 and my Scorpio in 2006 came with blue coolant at delivery!
I have mixed green into my Scorpio already. Any reason to worry?
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 21:11   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Strangely, my Gypsy in 1994 and my Scorpio in 2006 came with blue coolant at delivery!
I have mixed green into my Scorpio already. Any reason to worry?
maybe this info can be of help
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Sunstar-Golden Cruiser comes in blue color for Service Center(with tags like for Tata/Maruti etc) and comes in green color in open market
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 21:32   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
maybe this info can be of help
Thanks, Greenhorn. My question was more rhetorical than anything else!
I'm quite confidently going to keep mixing 'coolants' if occasion demands. Been doing it for many many moons!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 21:53   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,137 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Toyota uses red, so does Honda, Opel, Skoda, MB use their own which is blue in color.
Actually Toyota now uses pink coloured premixed coolant which they call the SLLC 'super long life coolant'. Its drain interval is 160,000 kms. The red version had a drain interval of 80-100K kms.

My 2000 model MPFI Esteem's coolant was blue in colour

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th February 2009 at 21:55.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 22:20   #88
BHPian
 
rranjith_kum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Coimbatore/ Aachen
Posts: 693
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i gather from the previous posts that there is no issue, but some affirmation would be appreciated
all this time I was trying to make out reading the posts but I couldn't come down to a single point, however when I see one more person just like me I couldn't resist posting this !!
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 23:41   #89
BHPian
 
mdesai_1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hi guys,
i have e small issue i have just purchased a NHC 2 months back and have also got it serviced (first service) exactly a month back.
all was well actually my mechanic cum driver (really trusted one) put in some normal water in the coolant reservoir before the first service as we were going out on a out station trip. after a couple of days i checked the coolant level (when the car was cold) it was a little above the maximum mark. i just ignored it as it was say 100 ml more than the max mark.
now today i was just checking my oil level when i noticed that there was a little spillage around the cap of the reservoir tank . i checked the entire car and discovered that the coolant had overflowed from the cap of the reservoir and that still the coolant was a little say 50 ml above the max mark. i checked the cap it was tight as usual and everything else seemed normal
i just want to know if this a sign to worry or just ignore it?
should i get a little collant drained to get it to exact maximum level?
mdesai_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 20:02   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Don't let anybody fill ANYTHING above the max. mark!! Its there for a reason!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP Urgent : White water stains on the windscreen nanu28 Technical Stuff 13 3rd March 2015 09:32
Accidently put water in Brake Fluid - Punto Diesel punto_ Technical Stuff 21 26th August 2011 10:33
Coolant Turns in to Water after 3 Months of Non-Usage johnruben Technical Stuff 7 24th June 2010 19:35
does coolant mix with dist. water evaporate 2fast4u Technical Stuff 32 11th June 2007 00:35
Water or Coolant? Team123 Technical Stuff 21 24th April 2006 08:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks