Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd October 2008, 13:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
That looks really cool. I might want to try the same on my Esteem now !
Not advisable on a new car ravi. The esteem is famous for its dashboard rattles, why advance the effect.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:02   #32
BHPian

Very cool stuff.must try this asap.Btw u have a veddy cute doggy there.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 06:39   #33
BHPian

Thank you balenopower, filcord,benbsb29,abhinav.gupta88, shrivz. And Black Pearl for helping me out there.

@benbsb29
I doubt it wont be an easy task in the ikon. Does the ikon dials have backlighting?? It wont be too difficult to change the spotlights at the fronts, but the results are not predictable.

@mohang_j
You can always change the bulbs and get a different colour. However the idea of this DIY mod is to change it in a simple way, without having to worry about the electrical bit.
vivekji05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 19:11   #34
BHPian

in my Zen I had removed the green cap on the bulbs of the speedo assembly. that resulted in this (Sorry for bad quality pic taken from my cellphone):

A two tone setup. i can't change the number colours - it seems they are painted from background.

Any solution to change their colour?

BTW if you put some blue transparent paper on the normal yellow bulbs - the colour will become white as blue is the complimentary colour of yellow. But you will have to experiment with the no. of layers of paper to be applied to get the white colour - too many layers and you will get blue instead of white.
Also someone wants to experiment with LEDs - you can get these from your local electronics market - try the 10mm one - you will get variety of colours. You need to know their operating voltage ang forward current. Use the following equation to calculate the resistor value:
R=(Vin-Vled)/If
where Vin = input voltage - take this as 14 V (the max voltage your car gets when revving)
Vled =LED operating voltage
If= LED forward current.
Try google to find these parameters for diiferent LEDs.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 23:55   #35
BHPian

Its very interesting DIY VivekJi, let me try it on my cosignís Baleno. When ever I travel in his car in nights, Some times i feel boring of the green light. Let me DIY on his car and then I will look alternate for my Verna.
potlaravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 15:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Thank you...thanks everyone.

@nithz, rjstyles69

The paper i have used is the same as the one used by decorative lighting people, who cover their ordinary bulbs to get red, blue, green etc. This paper doesnt melt much as it can withstand the heat produced by the bulb. You can tell this to the shopkeeper and he should understand. Ordinary transparent paper at the book stall, used for craftwork by children will melt.

@toiingg

Actually it isn't. I used a camera with over exposure settings to click those pictures. The shutter was kept opened for nearly 1.6 seconds to let in all that light, so that I can shoot without the flash. I took those pics at around 7:30pm in the evening. You can see that the whole interior is lit up and there is a lot of red reflection on the surrounding cowl. In reality only the numbers show up while the silver dial is not visible.

The light is not too bright and is evenly spread across the dials. Most people thought it was stock.

You can do it on almost all Maruti cars. Have no idea of the Palio..but if you can remove the thing and post a few pics, I can tell you what to do.

GREAT ! Looks awesome
@ vivek ,
I believe the reason the paper does not melt while its in a Decorative application is because tough the bulb has higher wattage it continuously blinks thus avoiding any heat build up (also the it is not in a closed environment). I am sure if the bulb is left on for some time the paper will melt.
In this case, the effect is too good to part with, hence if paper melting becomes an issue you can opt for some additional ventilation or forced ventilation

I guess its around a month for you install , have you observed any difference
_abhay_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 10:00   #37
BHPian

Arent these LED's? How much heat would they produce? I doubt that they would produce enough heat to melt the paper.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 23:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Not advisable on a new car ravi. The esteem is famous for its dashboard rattles, why advance the effect.
Good thought John. But are we not just removing the instrument panel which IMO will not disturb the dashboard much ? Btw, my car turned 5 on Oct 9. Will you still call it a new car ? But, if you ask me, definitely YES
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 19:58   #39
BHPian

Has anyone tried this out on a SWIFT???? It's got some great bright white lights and would really look great on red. Although at this time I am a little scared of this DIY. Can anyone help me to take the speedo out for swift?
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 15:16   #40

The Change looks really killa dude!! the Red is not only just red, but Bright florecent Red, totally brings up the look of the whole Dash. good work!!
bugboy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 16:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hey really sweet DIY,can you tell me if the needles are lighting up too?Because on my setup it doesnt
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 17:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Vivekji, nice work there!
Now, can someone show me how to do this on an Ikon?
IIRC, the Ikon's dash is not back lit.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 20:02   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
IIRC, the Ikon's dash is not back lit.
It isnt. And therein lies the entire problem.
Bugboy has gotten down to doing a similar mod on his Ikon, but the process was a lot more tedious.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 23:25   #44
BHPian

The Red Backlighting was money well spent .

Saw it for real and Hats off to Vikek for the cleanest Baleno.It simply looked gorgeous.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 22:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
A two tone setup. i can't change the number colours - it seems they are painted from background.

Any solution to change their colour?
I have not seen the insides of a zen instrument cluster, in the m800 there are green translucent pieces of plastic below the black plate which has numbers on it. I had to separate the front and back of the instrument cluster to remove them.

you might find green covers on the side indicator bulbs and/or the green translucent pieces of plastic or the side indicators may not be visible in daylight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Can anyone help me to take the speedo out for swift?
search around for a suzuki swift service manual (diesel/petrol won't matter) you'd get the diagram with which screws need to be removed. Please note you might void your cars warranty by doing this

Amit

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 14th December 2008 at 22:45.
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote