Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th March 2010, 10:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

you can use glass colour from stationary shop to color the normal bulbs. a pack of 6 cost about 60.
that will be the least invasive approach maintaining the original hardware to revert back to original in case of goofups or normalizing.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 11:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrocks7 View Post
Even I am curious to know if anybody tried this out on SWIFT? Searched the forum but could not find any.
I have toyed with the idea of doing this on my swift, but am not sure I'll be able to dismantle and put back the cluster. Also keen on replacing the light on/key in ignition buzzer to something with a more pleasant tone. Is this possible?
Edit: I think I'm going to try out gigy's method. Sounds promising.

Last edited by Roy.S : 28th March 2010 at 11:54.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 12:24   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Sorry, but didnt fully understand that as i have never done it before.

my gypsy has a black dial with yellow speed markings. instead of yellow if i want red speed markings, what should i do.

Forgive my stupid query, have never done anything like this before.
The Gypsy has sheet metal dials with the yellow markings printed on it.
The light does not come through the dial. You can put any colour bulb in the console but the markings will still be yellow.
If you want to change the dial face, you could print it out on adhesive backed vinyl and stick it on the dial face.
Name:  dial.JPG
Views: 781
Size:  4.7 KB
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 11:05   #64
BHPian

Hi Seniors Do help me now.. Having so much inspired by you guys i thought i should go ahead and do the same work on my Indica Xeta (Salas Red). Gained some confidence and slowly started removing the whole cluster.. As time passed by i was able to remove each and everything in the console But finally got shocked that i wasnt able to find a single blub.I was stunned and was clueless.

Then i decided to rearrange everything as it was and finally ended up in disaster only.Now the state is KM reading have changed and there is some digital error and rpm speedo and fuel gauge arent working properly and even after turning the ignition off they are not coming down.

I thought i should share this peice of information so that guys like me will understand its not so simple as shown in the photos. So we should really learn from seniors and then start these kind of work. Lesson learnt hard way . but its ok
fatherlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:34   #65
BHPian

Hi Guys,

This FIY will not work out for Indica Xeta. do not try this one like me. There is no bulb present inside the cluster.finally gave to Showroom and got it corrected.Thought i can share this info since it mightbe useful for fellow Tbhpians
fatherlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 19:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Default Gypsy Speedometer

Hi All,

I have today removed my 2004 Gypsy Speedometer Console.
I want to change the speedo markings to red.
Right now its printed on Sheet Metal.
Any ideas / suggestions welcome on an easy DIY for the same.

I was thinking of scanning the dial, changing the color on the PC and then take a color print and stick it on the sheet metal.

What do you think guys. Will it look good?
Attached Thumbnails
Project Baleno: RED backlighting for the dials. Total cost= Rs.4-16052010165.jpg  

Project Baleno: RED backlighting for the dials. Total cost= Rs.4-16052010166.jpg  

Project Baleno: RED backlighting for the dials. Total cost= Rs.4-16052010167.jpg  

Project Baleno: RED backlighting for the dials. Total cost= Rs.4-16052010168.jpg  

Project Baleno: RED backlighting for the dials. Total cost= Rs.4-16052010169.jpg  

Project Baleno: RED backlighting for the dials. Total cost= Rs.4-16052010170.jpg  

Project Baleno: RED backlighting for the dials. Total cost= Rs.4-16052010172.jpg  

Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 23:27   #67
Senior - BHPian

got 3 white 3W or 3V (dont know the tech language usage) LEDs and tried to see the illumination by connecting it with 2 pencil batteries. Not so Great.

What watt / voltage LEDs should i get to have more brightness.

Gurus, Please help. Also what resistor should i use for these LEDs.

Thanks
Old 17th May 2010, 01:52   #68
BHPian

Quote:
got 3 white 3W or 3V (dont know the tech language usage) LEDs and tried to see the illumination by connecting it with 2 pencil batteries. Not so Great.

What watt / voltage LEDs should i get to have more brightness.

Gurus, Please help. Also what resistor should i use for these LEDs.

Thanks
Whats the voltage rating for those L.E.D.'s
If they are similar to attached pic, you'll need to work on a driver circuit to make a stable power supplies, the higher glow/watt L.E.D. need more accurate voltage than normal ones.
Name:  1watt.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  2.6 KB

It would be easy and cheaper if you connect 3 normal 5mm L.E.D's in series and one 220ohm resistor for each series.

Edit: attached image didn't showed up, attached another.

Last edited by ghpk : 17th May 2010 at 01:55.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 00:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply GHPK sir,

the shopkeeper told me its of 3Volts and the car battery is 12V and he also gave me some resistor. now i dont what and how to do it. I have never done anything like this before.

Your assistance would help me a lot.

Also attaching a pic. tried to scrub the surface of the LED to see if it evens out the light but didnt help at all. it was too light.
Attached Thumbnails
Project Baleno: RED backlighting for the dials. Total cost= Rs.4-18052010177.jpg  

Old 18th May 2010, 04:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply GHPK sir,

the shopkeeper told me its of 3Volts and the car battery is 12V and he also gave me some resistor. now i dont what and how to do it. I have never done anything like this before.

Your assistance would help me a lot.

Also attaching a pic. tried to scrub the surface of the LED to see if it evens out the light but didnt help at all. it was too light.

these are normal 5mm L.E.D.'s which i was referring to,
you can connect 3 in series and then use the given resistor.

The resistor provided to you are 1.8 K Ohms which may show little less light
try making the series and then using the resistor see it on your car battery, or 12v supply adapter.

else use a 220 ohm or 330 ohm for max brightness but may lead to lesser life of L.E.D.
see the pic how you need to connect the L.E.D.
Name:  led12v.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  4.4 KB

edit: attached bigger pic so watermark goes down.

Last edited by ghpk : 18th May 2010 at 04:09.
Old 18th May 2010, 23:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

Thank you sir,

let me try this and i shall inform you how this goes.

any idea about changing the metal dial so that i get red markings on a black background. i am thiking of scanning the dial, editing it in photoshop, take a colour print and sticking it on the original dial. there wont be any backlighting but atleast it will be red in colour.
Old 19th May 2010, 00:38   #72
BHPian

to get red back light you can use Red L.E.D.
if you want you can scan and print the dial pics, but it depends how god they turn-out to be on paper.

you can also use the stickers which are used in number plates to get it done which would stick nicely to existing dials.
As the plotter used in the number cutting are computer driven, they can include any text you wish and multiple colors can be used too.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:06   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
to get red back light you can use Red L.E.D.
Red LEDs work on 2.7volts or less and need current limiting resistors with more resistance value as compared to white LEDs. Use websites (do google and you get many, eg. LED series parallel array wizard) to get the resistor values. Calculate at 14V input for cars, to be at safer side.
shyamhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 16:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Thank You Shyam and GHPK.

I shall try this out over the weekend and let you know how well this works.

If this is successfull, then i shall try it on the parking lamps or indicators as well.
Old 19th May 2010, 22:23   #75
BHPian

^^ I am little busy these days with lots of work, I've a excellent 3rd Break Light in Mind,
I'll have it a let all see it project in a few weeks times.

For the door lights I am already "BADNAAM" in my small city, few have stopped me to ask which version of Santro is this ?

L.E.D. is my craze and its future if lights, those who adopt it, shall have electricity a little longer before the power is all gone.