Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th September 2008, 01:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Ikon Unstable at speeds above 100kph after minor incident.

A few days ago we were on our way to kharghar.
On the way i didnt see a bad patch of road. Was doing 60kph or more when i hit that patch, It had a big Bump in the road. Didnt see that even at the last moment. And i hit the bump hard. That thud to the car was really bad.
At that part of time it didnt feel that bad.

So we drove on and did what ever we had to and on our way back i realised the car to be swaying. Thought it musnt be much. Carried on and the car was home.

The next day, after taking it to the mech for a check up, I was told that both my Lower arms have to be changed. He showed me the lower arms that he took out from the car.

TO ME the old lower arms looked ok...except that the right lower arm bush was torn.( is this the reason for the car to sway???)
Anyways so i got both the lower arms changed. He took it for Balancing and gave the car to me.

BEFORE that he told me something SHOCKING. He said that my LEFT Shock absober was also bent. AND my RIGHT tire had a bump in the side wall.

Now i havent yet changed the Shock since i havent had the time too. Also the tire is still the same. The tires are 4 months old and have done around 400kms on them. Could this be a manufacturing defect or could it be because of that bump..???

After having replaced the Arms and done balancing the car now moves to the left when i apply the breaks. Also it still doesnt feel stable. Feels even worse now.

Can change the shock & tire only on Saturday. So will update then.

And Solutions to this wierd Problem..???
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 01:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Tyre can be both but most likely the bulge would be due to impact. Post pictures of the tyre.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 02:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bulge in the sidewall is most probably because of the bump in the road. My friend had the same problem and asked the tyre shop if it could be replaced. Bridgestone didn't allow that since it wasn't a manufacturing defect.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 04:18   #4
BANNED

So much from an unnoticed bump?
Dan, sure no Ferrari fan cursed you?

Before you do anything, how about getting the car checked by another mech too? Also take your old lower arms with if possible.
I suspect the damaged shocks (plus something else) would've caused your car to suddenly behave wierd. If you didn't see much damage/fault on the lower arms, why did you change it in the first place baba?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 08:17   #5
BHPian

Yeah, unless we know he is a competent mechanic it is better to take a second opinion.
All these guys say the first thing is that 'IT' has to be replaced #$@!
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 08:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Will post pic of tires soon. But what about the swaying above 100kph. And it moving to the left while breaking even after alignment.
Old 30th September 2008, 09:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Will post pic of tires soon. But what about the swaying above 100kph. And it moving to the left while breaking even after alignment.
Bulged Tyre or faulty shockers can be possible reason, as you have already replaced arms and got alignment done.

Surely the bump costed you too much
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 10:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Like Zak said get a second opinion it helps.
Also got to check if the damage ocurred after the bump or was it prior.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 20:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Like Zak said get a second opinion it helps.
Also got to check if the damage ocurred after the bump or was it prior.
Iam sure the damage occurred after that. Cause i hate it when theres even a small noise of any sort in the car. I get it rectified asap. This i happened to hear after that small incident.

Got an opinion for another garage. He also suspected lower arms, Left bent Shock absober. He did mention that the swaying could also be because of the tire bump.

So far ive changed the Lower Arms to brand new ones.
Thursday instead of changing just 1 shock, ill change both. Give it for alignment again and check again. Iam suprised that the Left shock has damage and not the right one.

Last edited by danlalan : 30th September 2008 at 20:55.
Old 30th September 2008, 21:06   #10
BHPian

i have seen the tyre and am pretty sure the swaying is not because of the tire.The damaged shox seem to be pretty much the culprit here.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 21:58   #11
BHPian

might be due to impact the shock got damaged & lost all damping effect, the oil must have got leaked that's why you getting that swinging effect.

Just check for following points
1) Alloys should not have a bend from inside.
2) with new shocks redo wheel alignment
3) check Condition of tyres
4) what air pressure you keep in front? ideal is 28-30 psi,you must be running high pressure during incident considering the damage you experience.
5) Just visualize your both front Apron for signs of bend or misalignment though chances are low.
6) you changed your lower arm cause of bend, lower arm is connected to chasis ask your mechanic to check joints where lower arm is mated with chasis, any slight bend on lower part of chasis will effect handling drastically.

I will not rate this as a minor incident, the impact damaged your shocks & lower arm. you need to take it seriously & check it out thoroughly.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 22:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

check front sub-frame also, in iKON this plays a major part in suspension set up.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 00:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Will the mech know what a sub-frame is..?? any other term for it..??

Heres the pic of the tire as requested.

Ikon Unstable at speeds above 100kph after minor incident.-300920081241.jpg

Ikon Unstable at speeds above 100kph after minor incident.-300920081243.jpg

Thanks Jetu. Will look into whats mentioned.

1) Alloys should not have a bend from inside.
Yet to check.
2) with new shocks redo wheel alignment.
Yes sir.
3) check Condition of tyres.
Pics put up. Tires were bought in May 08' done 800kms max. Tire date is 45th month(November) of 07.
4) what air pressure you keep in front? ideal is 28-30 psi,you must be running high pressure during incident considering the damage you experience.
Nitrogen 29psi on both. But this reminds me that ive had a slow puncture on the left tire, This is the same side with the bent shock. Before i went to rectify the puncture it read at 19psi. Any chances this could have been the culprit..??
5) Just visualize your both front Apron for signs of bend or misalignment though chances are low.
6) you changed your lower arm cause of bend, lower arm is connected to chasis ask your mechanic to check joints where lower arm is mated with chasis, any slight bend on lower part of chasis will effect handling drastically.
Yes sir.

Last edited by danlalan : 1st October 2008 at 00:10.
Old 1st October 2008, 00:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Dingle boy, that tyre's a goner.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 00:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Sorry Dingle boy, that tyre's a goner.

Should i bother about sending it to Yokohama or should i just go and buy another es100..????