Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th September 2008, 11:49   #1
BHPian

Default Fiesta bump issues

Hi Guys,

Whenever i pass through a speed-breaker, my fiesta hits at it and make hell lot of noise and scratches under the hood. I face this problem even with a small speed breaker. What could be the problem ? Should i need to change tyres? Increase pressure other than specified 35/44 PSI ? Stiffen springs in front and rear axle? I am really worried. Please help experts.

Thanks
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 12:12   #2
BHPian

How old your car is
Increasing pressure will not help much only if tyres are flat
Increasing size I feel is not the good solution. Just get your suspension checked. It may have given. it depends upon you car age and driving conditions
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 14:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
How old your car is
Increasing pressure will not help much only if tyres are flat
Increasing size I feel is not the good solution. Just get your suspension checked. It may have given. it depends upon you car age and driving conditions
My car is 11 months old and clocked 11K in odo. I too suspect this could be due to suspensions. Can you think of any other reasons?
Old 30th September 2008, 17:41   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A regular Fiesta doesn't scrape over small speedbreakers. And @ 11K, neither should your suspension be sagging. Can you look under the car and check for anything amiss / loose / hanging? If you can post a picture, that'd be great.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 17:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have you taken it to your workshop & asked them to put her on the ramp & check out the undercarriage etc? As GTO has suggested, maybe somthing's hanging loose. Ground clearance has never been an issue with Fiestas.........
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 17:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

GC of the Fiesta is pretty decent.

If after your under-body check and you find nothing loose or hanging. Then the culprit is definetly the suspension as there couldn't be any other reason for your bottom scraping out even on small speedbreakers.

I suggest you take the car to the A.S.S and ask them to take a test drive to pin-point the problem and get it rectified
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 17:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Can you give some examples of humps where your car has hit? Maybe, we should compare other cars too on those same humps.

Does your car hit even whey you are the lone passenger?

Humps in Bangalore are the worst you can get anywhere. I wonder what the designers have in mind when they come up with these mountains.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 17:54   #8
BHPian

funda2max, I am wondering now since another Fiesta user in Bangalore also reported a similar problem in his ownership report. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...000-kms-2.html (Ford Fiesta 1.6 @ 12000 Kms)
"Ground clearance:
This is one big issue with Fiesta. Load 4 Adults and drive around bangalore city. U r sure to scrap ur bottom atleast once. Think of it "

I have myself booked a 1.6 SXi recently and I made sure that I tested this aspect multiple times. I must say that I never faced this problem.
Pls do paste photos and I would be interested on any updates on this aspect.
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 19:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Increase pressure other than specified 35/44 PSI ?
I hope 35/44psi is not what you have in your Fiesta tyres! Shouldn't they be more like 30/30psi?

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th September 2008 at 19:34. Reason: Spelling
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 19:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

@funda : Your location says Bangalore, and hence you would most certainly be referring to the 'breakers' in Bangalore. Its an established fact that almost all of these newly-laid humps do not comply to specified limits, and scraping the car's bottom on these is certainly not avoidable.

Come to think of it, we now have even started having threads dedicated to these 'breakers'!

As for the suspension, 11k kms is way too early for them to give away.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 11:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Should i need to change tyres? Increase pressure other than specified 35/44 PSI ?
Sorry, just noticed this - that 35/44 is only supposed to be on full load conditions - are you using it on your daily city commute as well.

Normal is 30 all round as itwasntme as mentioned........
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:58   #12
BHPian

Default Here are some pics

Here are some pics that i took in my mobile phone during water service yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiesta bump issues-dsc00088.jpg  

Fiesta bump issues-dsc00087.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2008, 15:35   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can you take a picture from the front of the car to the back? No need to jack it up on a lift. Just bend down and take a simple picture from under the front bumper (with a full view till the back).

I see some pretty nasty scrape marks there.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 00:14   #14
BHPian

35/44 psi definately seems high but should improve your ground clearance at the rear. From the pics it seems to be a suspension issue. The fiesta does not usually have clearance issues.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 16:27   #15
BHPian

The pressure of 44psi is only when fully laden with 4 people. It is mentioned clearly in the Fiesta manual.
I own a 1.4 2007 model. It never scrapped a single speed breaker in Hyderabad. My home too has a high camber incline at the entry gate and this has never scrapped with 4 people sitting.
The only scrapping happened when the car was fully loaded with luggage when moving from Hyderabad to Bangalore and this too only when entering my Bangalore apartment.
I did change my tyres from MRF to Michelin PP1 after 5-6 months of usage. But I never had issues with any of them.
I am certain this is a suspension issue. Do get it checked out at a Ford A.S.S centre ASAP.
Cheers.
theexister is offline   Reply With Quote