Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 12:33   #151
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,651 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
there you go: OCTAVIA 3 09 ON RIGHT MIRROR GLASS 267RAS HEATER+PLATE on eBay (end time 27-Jul-11 11:58:40 BST)
this will work for Elegance and L&K. If buying for an Ambiente, you can pick the cheaper one without a heater.
I desperately need to find these mirrors for my Superb. I dont think the Laura ones will fit. I search the store link that you gave above but they have it only till the 2008 Superbs.

Any idea where I can find them for my car?

Does Skoda offer it as an accessory ?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 15:25   #152
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 2,091 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I desperately need to find these mirrors for my Superb. I dont think the Laura ones will fit. I search the store link that you gave above but they have it only till the 2008 Superbs.

Any idea where I can find them for my car?

Does Skoda offer it as an accessory ?
Don't the Laura and Superb share the same ORVMs?

I don't think you will get the convex mirror from Skoda as an accessory.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 13:06   #153
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 22
Thanked: 3 Times
Default How long do the break pads last?? Skoda Laura

My car has gone for it's 2nd servicing after doing 30000km. Now the guy from the service center calls me up and says that the front break pads have worn out and that they need replacement! But I am not entirely convinced with this. The breaking is as sharp as ever! I suspect they just want to clear the stock of break pads they have.
Info;
Skoda Laura
1year 6months old
30000km done.

Can some one help me out here. Does it really need replacement?
amar_1422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 15:33   #154
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,480
Thanked: 7,776 Times
Default Re: How long do the break pads last?? Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar_1422 View Post
! But I am not entirely convinced with this. The breaking is as sharp as ever! I suspect they just want to clear the stock of break pads they have.
Info;
Skoda Laura
1year 6months old
30000km done.

Can some one help me out here. Does it really need replacement?
Sounds about right, mine were replaced around the 30000k mark
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 15:47   #155
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,539
Thanked: 7,992 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Don't the Laura and Superb share the same ORVMs?

I don't think you will get the convex mirror from Skoda as an accessory.
Even the Audi A4 comes with the same mirror.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 10:26   #156
BHPian
 
hemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 79
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: How long do the break pads last?? Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar_1422 View Post
My car has gone for it's 2nd servicing after doing 30000km. Now the guy from the service center calls me up and says that the front break pads have worn out and that they need replacement! But I am not entirely convinced with this. The breaking is as sharp as ever! I suspect they just want to clear the stock of break pads they have.
Info;
Skoda Laura
1year 6months old
30000km done.

Can some one help me out here. Does it really need replacement?
If possible go and check the condition of the pads.
My laura has already done 42k kms on original pads.

PS : Life of brake pads depends alot on your driving style. They may wear out quickly if you have a habit of driving with a heavy right foot.
hemen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 11:18   #157
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,649
Thanked: 571 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Guys, my Laura is about to go in for the 2nd servicing soon.
Are there any specefic expenses that I would need to take into account for?

Also, (I know its the wrong section), is 30k good enough to go in for tyre upgrades. The NCT5's are getting worse day by day. I have an overall feeling that they have gone more noisy.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 11:31   #158
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Check the tread mate. My tires lasted 45k kms but with frequent puntures in the last 5k kms. I guess most modern tires scan easily last 40k kms+. However, if you are not happy with the NCT5's, no harm in changing them to better rubbers.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 11:55   #159
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 2,091 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Guys, my Laura is about to go in for the 2nd servicing soon.
Are there any specefic expenses that I would need to take into account for?

Also, (I know its the wrong section), is 30k good enough to go in for tyre upgrades. The NCT5's are getting worse day by day. I have an overall feeling that they have gone more noisy.
Tyre life really depends on your driving style apart from other factors like wheel balancing and proper wheel and suspension alignments. AFAIK the Laura is known to eat up its tyres quicker than some of its lighter Japanese rivals like the Altis and Civic. 30~35K seems par for the Laura. Bridgestone Potenzas lasted for about 42K on my Corolla.

The noise on the Goodyears seem to increase over time where it tends to develop uneven wear on its ribs.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 17:32   #160
BHPian
 
anandbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

On my Laura, I had OEM fitment as Dunlop tyres. 2 of the tyres burst some time ago (around 25k mark), and looking at the tread, it had more or less half life left.
Given that it might be good for 40k+ kms, but I had to change the tyres and I went for Michellene Primacy LC.
Super quite and amazing grip this tyre offers, at least in comparison to OEM fitment.
Also, I upgraded the tyre size to same as Innova (205 65R15) instead of 205 55R15.
Now I can go over any hump without much hassle, which earlier would have scraped the center bottom part, which is a plastic/fibre "V" fitment.
Life of the tyre mostly depends on driving style as Santosh suggested in the previous post.
anandbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 19:19   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 817 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Guys, my Laura is about to go in for the 2nd servicing soon.
Are there any specefic expenses that I would need to take into account for?

Also, (I know its the wrong section), is 30k good enough to go in for tyre upgrades. The NCT5's are getting worse day by day. I have an overall feeling that they have gone more noisy.
1. Engine Oil: What oil do you use? Yours is a TDI? Skoda seem to be using non-synthetic engine oil for the TDIs and still charge heavily for the same. I went to service center this Saturday - simply to see what they actually use (wanted to buy 1L of Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 VW502.00/VW505.00 for my TSI - just a backup on a trip) and thought I will buy from them rather than buying from the Shell pumps in Hinjewadi. Nobody other than the GM-Service was aware of the "VW502/505" stuff. Finally I asked them to show me the barrel and confirmed they had what they claim. But it was not for the diesels. Please check that out. Then I went to the Shell pump and asked him the same. They had the Helix Ultra for the petrol engines and confirmed that Shell does not have any fully synthetic engine oil for the diesels.

2. OBD Scan: I have heard stories that they charge for this during service. The fact is - none of their routine work can proceed without this so there is no need for the customer to pay for this. If they ask you to pay, please take stand that if they (Skoda/dealer) are unable to do routine checks or debug a problem without the scan, then it should be included in the service.

3. Tyres: NCT 5's have been doing good on mine. On some sections of NH-4 , I experienced mind wobble at the steering when between 120 to 160) but not always. No wobble on N.I.C.E. road, Bangalore at all so I am not sure if it's the tyres/balancing/alignment or road surface issue. No noise so far (17000KM). But, you can try Yokohama sDB or some real performance tyres when opportunity comes. IMO, no need to change purely due to noise. Test the wobbling, go to N.I.C.E. road, Bangalore and let the speedo do a complete swipe... - that's the real test.

4. Wipers: If you need replacement, kindly check the prices and post here. Damn, we need a plan to deal with Skoda over long run!!!


Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 10th October 2011 at 19:26.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 19:33   #162
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 597
Thanked: 225 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Then I went to the Shell pump and asked him the same. They had the Helix Ultra for the petrol engines and confirmed that Shell does not have any fully synthetic engine oil for the diesels.
I quite doubt the veracity of that statement. I have been using Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic engine oil for my TDI. Have been buying from a local Shell wholeseller here. Mine is an Octy though but that shouldn't really make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
4. Wipers: If you need replacement, kindly check the prices and post here. Damn, we need a plan to deal with Skoda over long run!!!
Cheers!
Wipers are priced at 1400 (for the Laura) at A**. You would be better off buying from outside.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 19:47   #163
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 53
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Hi Guys,
Saw this post and immediately the eyes popped out !!!. can you guys have a dedicated skoda laura section in this forum ?. Does it exist on this forum. ?can you guide me to it ??

My Skoda has done 11k kms so far. Going by what i see here i am dreading the first service. hate to imagine what the costs would be.
Seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 19:52   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 817 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I quite doubt the veracity of that statement. I have been using Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic engine oil for my TDI. Have been buying from a local Shell wholeseller here. Mine is an Octy though but that shouldn't really make a difference.
Sure, it's supposed to be a good oil and should serve well on any engine, but for the records, please check the API rating on the container. It does not have the required rating for the diesels (and I am only talking of the API ratings here. The VW ratings, are a big B.S. I think - just a way for VW group to form special cartels with the oil giants).

May be, when I go home, I will post a picture of the 1L Shell pack I have.

BTW, how old is your Octy? If it's old enough (i.e. from the time before Skoda switched to 1 Year/15,000KM intervals), do you remember what oil they were using at that time? At that time, I asked them how the existing cars can switch to such lengthy interval without any mods and they did not have any valid answers!!!

Also, all of a sudden VW gang lost interest in doing business with Mobil and now they claim that Mobil 1 is not VW approved....

The bottom line is, I do not believe in anything that's spoken at Skoda!

If you get a chance, please visit the shell pumps and ask them for the best oils they have for diesels and petrols.

Finally, there are people who use Mobil 1 in their diesel cars while Mobil themselves claim that their right oil (fully synthetic variety) for the diesels is "Mobil Delvac 1", with real API CH rating and not "Mobil 1".

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 10th October 2011 at 19:55.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 21:04   #165
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 597
Thanked: 225 Times
Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Sure, it's supposed to be a good oil and should serve well on any engine, but for the records, please check the API rating on the container. It does not have the required rating for the diesels (and I am only talking of the API ratings here. The VW ratings, are a big B.S. I think - just a way for VW group to form special cartels with the oil giants).
I have gone by VW ratings (505 00). You have to trust that the manufacturer recommends you the right thing. The API rating for that oil is CF. Shell lists it on their India website as 'Fully Synthetic Motor Oil' as well. Here is the link to what I have been using:

Shell Helix Diesel Ultra - India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, how old is your Octy? If it's old enough (i.e. from the time before Skoda switched to 1 Year/15,000KM intervals), do you remember what oil they were using at that time? At that time, I asked them how the existing cars can switch to such lengthy interval without any mods and they did not have any valid answers!!!
My car is 6 years old and has done around 110k kms. And yes it was bought before the 1 year/15,000km interval came in. I don't trust Skoda A** at all and don't expect them to have answers to anything. I have had my fair share of trouble with A** which is why I very rarely visit them.

I have primarily got the oil changes done myself. Based on my experiences the oil that I have been buying (the one in the above link) is superior to what A** uses. The engine is a whole lot smoother without their oil in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If you get a chance, please visit the shell pumps and ask them for the best oils they have for diesels and petrols.
No Shell pumps here buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Finally, there are people who use Mobil 1 in their diesel cars while Mobil themselves claim that their right oil (fully synthetic variety) for the diesels is "Mobil Delvac 1", with real API CH rating and not "Mobil 1".

Cheers!
From what I have read of in the oil thread on TBHP most are using Mobil Delvac ever since it has been made available in our country.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks