Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 16:09   #46
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbhat View Post
When you put reverse gear, you would not like:
- ICE playing the song loud!
- Do you get irritated at times when the continuous beep of a fixed frequency which, though you get cautious about the obstacle?
- Volume of the parktronics beeps are too high?

Here is a solution!

Change following, to change the frequency of the buzz and volume!
76- Park Assist
10- Adaptation
Rear Buzzer volume - default=7, New value = 4 --> Volume is now reduced!
Rear Buzzer Freq - default=2, New=4, --> frequency reduced from high frequency to little lower frequency, better for ears!

Another trick!
Do you want to adjust the parking light brightness? Oh yes, if it is less bright, save some battery current drained, if it is less bright, increase the brightness to see your car from further distance!

Change following:
09 - Central Electronics
07 - Coding
Byte11, Decimal 0 to 70 changed --> Brightness reduced to 70% (front)
Byte12, Decimal 0 to 70 changed --> Brightness reduced to 70% (rear)

Use caution, mentioned in the previous post!
this is awesome stuff, now i wish i had a maxidot display
anyways regarding your "coming & leaving home lights" feature, are you 101% sure your lights dont come on during the day?
thanks alot for all this info
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 00:24   #47
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
3. How much does this VAG-COM cable cost? Where to buy? Do we need to purchase any software to run this?
Hello Anandji, can you please update me on this?
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 15:24   #48
BHPian
 
anandbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5
How much does this VAG-COM cable cost? Where to buy? Do we need to purchase any software to run this?
Akki,
HEX+CAN cable (USB) costs US $349.
Details, you can find at below link, I think CAN cable is sufficient for Laura as well, but have not used it personally.
VCDS (VAG-COM): Ross-Tech Store

Also, In India, it can be sourced from:
Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
anandbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 15:27   #49
BHPian
 
anandbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79
this is awesome stuff, now i wish i had a maxidot display
anyways regarding your "coming & leaving home lights" feature, are you 101% sure your lights dont come on during the day?
thanks alot for all this info
Berj79, No you don't need a maxidot display for doing any of the above! Mine is a Laura ambiente [2008 model] variant, without maxidot display.

Actually, I have now enabled only leaving home feature and disabled coming home feature, as I found this is more useful than leaving home feature!

I'm 10000% sure lights doesn't come on during day time!
anandbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 08:56   #50
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Anandji, has your car gone through it's warranty period? Doesn't changing the software by yourself, void the warranty? I really want the 'coming home leaving home lights' feature but am very certain that the A** guys won't do it. If i do it by myself, will they be able to find out and will it crash my warranty?
Thanks.
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 20:49   #51
BHPian
 
babhishek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: KOLKATA
Posts: 306
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

should not *crash* your warranty
but you never know with skoda what they will come up with - think of it this way
you are making changes to the firmware (software) so the hardware warranty should still be very much VALID
babhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 22:21   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 344
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

I am curious to know as to why Skoda is themselves disabling these features in the lower versions if all the hardware is already present? How much would reconfiguring the software cost - may be 30 mins of labor? Would it not make the lower variants more attractive than competition?
alto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 04:10   #53
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Would it not make the lower variants more attractive than competition?
they are attractive enough, trust me the cars are packed with features, more then u need..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 12:02   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 344
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
they are attractive enough, trust me the cars are packed with features, more then u need..
True they are, but wont it make even more attractive?
Also buyers are alrealy unknowingly paying the price for such hardware without being able to use it..
alto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 12:56   #55
BHPian
 
babhishek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: KOLKATA
Posts: 306
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
True they are, but wont it make even more attractive?
Also buyers are alrealy unknowingly paying the price for such hardware without being able to use it..
I would disagree here - the buyers are aware of the price and also the feature list of the cars ( as in official documents/brochures )
In the end they are the ones spending hard earned money - the onus of research and better awareness of the product lies with them as well. An informed and researched buyer is the smartest buyer!

Obviously the features if explained to the unknowing buyer might make him happier - more features for the same price ; at the same time buyers might think - its way too complicated as well.

so its a double edged sword!

Last edited by babhishek : 1st November 2009 at 12:58.
babhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 18:15   #56
BHPian
 
anandbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Anandji, has your car gone through it's warranty period? Doesn't changing the software by yourself, void the warranty? I really want the 'coming home leaving home lights' feature but am very certain that the A** guys won't do it. If i do it by myself, will they be able to find out and will it crash my warranty?
Thanks.
Akki,
As i had mentioned earlier, *** is not even aware of these features and how to enable them. Some one need to spend time with the VAG software to find out what can be and cannot be enabled. In fact I spent about 8-10hrs sitting int he car, to find out all the features available.
If you have the cable you can always revert back any time. Also, I would do an auto scan myself, even before taking the car to ***, to make sure I understand the problem that exists in my car and then I can make sure the problems are correctly rectified to my satisfaction.

If one is vary of the warranty, I suggest, these should be done after the warranty period is over, though as AB suggested, it should not void warranty!
anandbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 05:43   #57
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

anandbhat is it possible to show me a pic of the options available through the vagom, is it written there what your enabling or disabling or is everything in codes, for example if i want to activate "coming home" feature will it be written as "coming home lights" in the vagom or somethingelse? i contacted skoda service center about enabling the feature for me, they kept saying"its only on "l&k" sir", i said you can do it on the vag com, he then said bring your car here & talk to the main engineer, is this option easy to find in the vagcom, can i go there & explain exactly where the option is so they can find it

Last edited by Berj79 : 7th November 2009 at 05:45.
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 19:27   #58
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
anandbhat is it possible to show me a pic of the options available through the vagom, is it written there what your enabling or disabling or is everything in codes, for example if i want to activate "coming home" feature will it be written as "coming home lights" in the vagom or somethingelse? i contacted skoda service center about enabling the feature for me, they kept saying"its only on "l&k" sir", i said you can do it on the vag com, he then said bring your car here & talk to the main engineer, is this option easy to find in the vagcom, can i go there & explain exactly where the option is so they can find it
Exactly my question.
@anandbhat, can we find the options easily (as in, are the names given directly or is it all in binary or hex codes)?
BTW are you aware of the codes for these features on the facelift as well? i read that the facelift Laura has a different Control option which wasnt there in the older one (in the VAGCOM that is). i guess its called Control Module and is listed at no.7.
I might get a shot at doing some changes but the guy who'll do it wants me to give him exact details and steps which i am unaware of.
If at all, you are aware of any source for such codes, do let us know.
this thread is going so well!
will it be convenient for you to list down the exact steps in a more layman way?


@berj79 - dude we'll have this option enabled definitely. i just need to find someone with a HEX CAN for the Laura as i am not looking at investing too much money in this. if you're aware of someone with a HEXCAN then i guess i should be able to do it with not too much trouble (obviously reckoning that anandji will help me out).

Last edited by Akki_5 : 7th November 2009 at 19:34.
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 20:01   #59
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
@berj79 - dude we'll have this option enabled definitely. i just need to find someone with a HEX CAN for the Laura as i am not looking at investing too much money in this. if you're aware of someone with a HEXCAN then i guess i should be able to do it with not too much trouble (obviously reckoning that anandji will help me out).
Sounds good dude but i m worried about the warranty , dont want it to go void will the service guys come to know that we have plugged the vagcom to our cars? is there a log that they can check? anyone have any info about this?
thanks..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 14:53   #60
BHPian
 
anandbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
anandbhat is it possible to show me a pic of the options available through the vagom, is it written there what your enabling or disabling or is everything in codes, for example if i want to activate "coming home" feature will it be written as "coming home lights" in the vagom or somethingelse? i contacted skoda service center about enabling the feature for me, they kept saying"its only on "l&k" sir", i said you can do it on the vag com, he then said bring your car here & talk to the main engineer, is this option easy to find in the vagcom, can i go there & explain exactly where the option is so they can find it
Here is a picture from Ross-tech support page, to show how long coding page would look like.
Click on each box (byte select), and it displays the options that can be changed in each byte.
Name:  lcode1.png
Views: 2858
Size:  49.5 KB
I'm not sure about how the interface of VAS (this is what Skoda *** have) looks like, but should be similar to this I guess.
anandbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks