Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th February 2014, 20:15   #646
BHPian

Default re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
So just another update - popped by Jai Auto today; they had no idea about the needle sweep but said they would do the DRLs. With respect to my plans for a ICE upgrade, was told that any outside installation would void warranty. Was also quoted close to 3k for the original Skoda horn - which is quite ridiculous.

Anyhow the real issue - my visit to them was driven by the temp light flashing and blinking on the dash combined with heavy smoke from the engine.

After a good 4 hours of checking for a coolant leak, they determined that it was 99% a water pump failure. In order to check that, they needed to open the manifold. If it is the water pump, it'll take 3-4 days for the part to come in and another day to fix it. When I asked why this would happen, was told that "it just happens."

All in all, I wont be able to drive my new pre-owned Laura (TSI) which I've had for just about a week. Everything will be covered by Skoda Shield but it's still very off putting as the car is 1 year and 2 months old with just 10,600kms on the odo. Anyone else have this problem?
The guys at Skoda need a bit of a push, but they come through in the end. I got my HU replaced 'cause the radio wasn't working. The horn was replaced too, but they said they had some sort of a campaign ongoing. Took 4 days to do it though, some issues with the security code.

Btw, anyone know if the new Skoda logos are available?
Unrealistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 10:55   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic View Post
The guys at Skoda need a bit of a push, but they come through in the end. I got my HU replaced 'cause the radio wasn't working. The horn was replaced too, but they said they had some sort of a campaign ongoing. Took 4 days to do it though, some issues with the security code.

Btw, anyone know if the new Skoda logos are available?
Sorry, when you say changed do you mean like you changed it to an aftermarket unit or they changed it for you under warranty? I dont know if you're referring to my post about the warranty or the water pump failure and their response.

But I am pretty impressed so far with these guys - especially since he said 7 days and it took 3. All I had to pay was about 1500 for the coolant, car was ready when I reached and the whole process didn't take as long as I thought it would. I mean I could be nit-picky and say that the water pump shouldn't have failed in the first place, but all's well that end's well.
anantnehru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 14:23   #648
BHPian

I just dropped my Laura TDI for 3rd service and the service advisor told me that Skoda is replacing compressor switch and horn free of cost. I assume they are doing this basis various complaints they have received from various owners both on A/c front and pre-mature failure of horns.

I have asked them to not to change the horn now but will do it whenever it fails - since I hate the new tone!

Though, I am happy that they are doing it proactively in my car - but would have preferred if they did a mass re-call instead of doing it silently.

If you own a Laura (old or face lifted ones) - pls. do check with your service centre & check if your vehicle is also part of this campaign.

The only downside - it would take them 3 days to just change the switch since entire front portion has to be dismantled & they would be flushing the compressor for 2 or 3 times (not sure why).

Also - service advisor recommended me to change all the brake pads since he could see lines on the disc though I am not finding any issue with braking. Is this the right method? My car has done 30K and of which almost 20K will be in Bangalore city roads!
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 20:46   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post

If you own a Laura (old or face lifted ones) - pls. do check with your service centre & check if your vehicle is also part of this campaign.s!
Thanks so much Mahesh for the valuable information. I have a pre-FL Laura. Will check out. By the way was the 'silent' work done at Tafe or Vinayak? Last 2 visits had been to Vinayak and experience was good.
Safeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:01   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safeer View Post
Thanks so much Mahesh for the valuable information. I have a pre-FL Laura. Will check out. By the way was the 'silent' work done at Tafe or Vinayak? Last 2 visits had been to Vinayak and experience was good.
I have never used Vinayak but experience with Tafe has been very good so far so never thought of switching. The silent work i meant is from Skoda and not from service center. Reason for saying is that skoda should have done a communication to all affected owners and rectified/ replaced the parts, if not a mass recall. Doing it whenever the car comes for service / repair - isn't correct and that's what I call it as silent.

Hope this helps.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 03:25   #651
BHPian

Hello all. I have a skoda laura 1.9 tdi. I have driven the car for around 65000 kms. My last oil change was at 62000, on jan 2013. Last I used the car was on april 30 2013, as i left the country.I am planning to use the car again when I am back home for a month now. Must I change the engine oil and oil filter before I drive off. Kindly advice.
drrajanvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 14:52   #652
BHPian

Well my suggestion would be to get it serviced and checked before you go out and continue driving. Since the car was unused for around a year
v_2rahjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 15:21   #653
BHPian

It was serviced a little before I left
drrajanvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 16:55   #654
BHPian

Okay so noticed something the other day - dont know if it's helpful or annoying. Was raining in Delhi and the wipers on the slow continuous wipe. Whenever I slowed down, the wipers would switch to intermittent and if I was not moving at all - they'd stop wiping! The moment I'd move, they'd start again.

Anyone else have this feature/ problem? Not too sure what to call it at the moment - since I stopped at a crossing to check for oncoming traffic and was suddenly blinded by the rain :S And I also did find out that my mirrors are in fact heated, so that was quite nice.
Old 5th March 2014, 17:10   #655
Senior - BHPian

Rain sensing wipers...
Sometimes I think it's raining and the sensors also agree.
Sometimes, I feel it's still raining but the sensors feel otherwise :-)

Compared to this, the Tucson employs a simple and clever system: variable speed wipers (speed sensing instead of rain sensing).
I find them almost as good (or as bad) as Laura's :-)

Last edited by anandpadhye : 5th March 2014 at 17:17.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 17:12   #656
BHPian

[Anyone else have this feature/ problem? Not too sure what to call it at the moment - since I stopped at a crossing to check for oncoming traffic and was suddenly blinded by the rain :S And I also did find out that my mirrors are in fact heated, so that was quite nice.]

Try adjusting the senstivity of the wipers on the wiper stalk. It has 4 different settings. There is a possibility that yours is set at the highest (most sensitive).

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 17:22   #657
Senior - BHPian

For any given setting (of the 4 available), at times there is a disagreement between me and the sensors. I treat it as human error :-)
Old 5th March 2014, 17:31   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
For any given setting (of the 4 available), at times there is a disagreement between me and the sensors. I treat it as human error :-)
Completely agree with you on this! The system on the Laura seems to have a mind of its own! Although i feel that being the driver, i am the best judge of when to switch on the wipers ( its not too much of an effort now, is it??!). But on highways i have found the auto wipers to be a boon, while at night, i prefer to keep them switched off.

On another note, i had a separate question on my 2010 TDi DSG Laura.

Is there any harm in upgrading the lights (low beam, in projectors) to HIDs? I had done it earlier but somehow ended up changing 2 batteries in 3 years (1 because of a faulty alternator replaced under warranty) and am now skeptical of using the HIDs thinking they may be causing the excessive drainage. Back to using the H7s right now. Need help from the other owners here in this regard!

Thanks
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 17:45   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
[Anyone else have this feature/ problem? Not too sure what to call it at the moment - since I stopped at a crossing to check for oncoming traffic and was suddenly blinded by the rain :S And I also did find out that my mirrors are in fact heated, so that was quite nice.]

Try adjusting the senstivity of the wipers on the wiper stalk. It has 4 different settings. There is a possibility that yours is set at the highest (most sensitive).

Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hey Rohan, finally you're here! Hahaha..

What Anand says above- I tried all the 4 settings, didnt seem to really work - only on intermittent, will try when its raining next. Which hopefully should be soon. Plus, I didnt know the Ambiente TSI has rain sensing wipers, which is why I was even more surprised - same with the heated mirrors.
Old 5th March 2014, 18:02   #660
Senior - BHPian

Heated mirrors! Are you sure?
My TSi does not have them