Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 17:57   #91
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Errr... I was talking about Castrol CRB 20W40! Might be better to stick to that, since thats was TVS's original recommendation.

Is Delo available in India? Any idea of price and packaging (cus I need only 900 ml).

What I wonder is how good current 4 stroke bike oils would be in 2 stroke trannies compared to CRB...

I have been using Delo in India since 2001, its available in every major city in India, all you need to do is send Caltex India a mail and they will guide you on how to procure it. CRB is no match for Delo in terms of protection, totally different league. If you can't find Delo, use Delvac, equally good.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 19:41   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Thanks! You sure these products dont cause clutch slippage?
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 20:02   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
No experience with Honda dealers... but all that sounds really sad.

Idemitsu - I think you have a case of further grass is greener. You are just fed up of it and need a change... though it is prehaps doing its job quite well (and at a cheaper cost compared to Castrol ).
Raccoon, just got my car's engine oil changed today at the dealers while he was tackling the infamous Altis brake screech issue that was solved by a front brake pad change.

These guys have started using loose GMO oil (200L barrels) provided by Idemitsu/Toyota not the 4 litre GMO sealed cans they used to provide earlier. Wasnt too happy about it and asked the service advisor about using an aftermarket oil. He said it would be ok and DSKT would be happy to fill the oil. But his supervisor said it would be better not to take a risk as the car is under warranty. The next oil change is at the 2nd service which will fall due in Oct 09. I will go without a change longer than normal (8 instead of 6 months) and will take a call on what oil then.

Rgds,

R2D2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 21:35   #94
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thanks! You sure these products dont cause clutch slippage?
Well so far, never caused slippage on my RC45 so I don't really expect it to slip in your bike as well.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 23:42   #95
BHPian
 
mdesai_1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hi guys ,
i wanted to know will i get idemitsu engine oil of grade 15w-40 for my NHC outside in open market or which other oil of same grade is good for my NHC? pls advice

Last edited by mdesai_1981 : 31st January 2009 at 23:44.
mdesai_1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 23:55   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
These guys have started using loose GMO oil (200L barrels) provided by Idemitsu/Toyota not the 4 litre GMO sealed cans they used to provide earlier. Wasnt too happy about it and asked the service advisor about using an aftermarket oil. He said it would be ok and DSKT would be happy to fill the oil. But his supervisor said it would be better not to take a risk as the car is under warranty. The next oil change is at the 2nd service which will fall due in Oct 09. I will go without a change longer than normal (8 instead of 6 months) and will take a call on what oil then.

Rgds,

R2D2
Thats bad. I woudn't trust them about the loose oil. They are obviously doing it because they would be getting barrels much cheaper... which means more profit.

I dont understand this statement "better not to take a risk". Its like he dosent know what hes talking about himself. Have you gone thru the terms of the warranty? Does it say anywhere that using any other oil, other than that provided by the *** will void the warranty? If not, then there is no issue!

I feel you could consider preserving the cash-memos of your oil purchases and also make the dealer mention that the oil has been changed by them, on your bills. That should satisfy any company... if they care about preserving their good will with customers.

The last and least riskiest think you could do is to get a sealed OEM Idemitsu can from somewhere else, and get it filled at your dealer place. Keep the bill and make a record of this. This would be your safest bet both ways. Actually this is what I had to do with my Hero Honda. Have to get the Idemitsu can from somewhere else and got it filled at the dealer. They even gave me a receipt of the oil change (all this after some stern talk).

The real issue should be that the oil you use (or if you have skipped a change) should not be responsible for having caused the damage for which you are claiming warranty.

Quote:
Well so far, never caused slippage on my RC45 so I don't really expect it to slip in your bike as well.
With respect to this, I just hope they dont use friction modifiers in that oil... any idea?

Quote:
hi guys ,
i wanted to know will i get idemitsu engine oil of grade 15w-40 for my NHC outside in open market or which other oil of same grade is good for my NHC? pls advice
Google for Savita Chemicals. Find their website, and contact them or their sales/mktg dept. and ask where you can get it.

Last edited by Raccoon : 31st January 2009 at 23:58.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 04:17   #97
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

As per VOA done on Delo and Delvac, there is no friction modifier present in either, if that was the case, my clutches in RC45 would have borne the brunt of it.

The Best Motorcycle Oil - Rotella or Delo 400 ?

This article will give you a bit more insight on use of diesel rated HDEO oils for motorcyles and their benefit over regular or other oils.

Last edited by Gurkha : 1st February 2009 at 04:31.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 04:24   #98
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
hi guys ,
i wanted to know will i get idemitsu engine oil of grade 15w-40 for my NHC outside in open market or which other oil of same grade is good for my NHC? pls advice
If you are looking for a 15W-40, thats usually a diesel grade oil so you would have to look for Idemitsu Diesel which is used in Toyota Innova. Take my personal advice, don't use 15W-40 on Honda petrol engine, Honda in US recommends 0W-20 0r 0W-30 max for their petrol engines and I would suggest you look for a 5W-30 for your NHC. Using 15W-40 will cause more harm here as there would be places in your engine which would not get the oil at the right time causing dry friction damage. Also your fuel consumption will go up considerably. Try and find a synthetic 5W-30 like Mobil-I or Shell Ultra Helix.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 04:50   #99
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Engine oil for 4 stroke engines? [Archive] - Kiwi Biker forums

The Best Motorcycle Oil - Rotella or Delo 400 ?

This two discussions above will show you why Delo 400 or Delvac Super/MX rules in the world of lubrication, be it motorcycles or cars where 15W-40 can be used. The only reason they are not peddled aggressively to non trucking crowd is sheer marketing, in case of Delo400, the UOA rivals the best synthetics, wouldn't make sense for Caltex to market it over their expensive synthetics, just doesn't make good business sense.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 08:04   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
If you are looking for a 15W-40, thats usually a diesel grade oil so you would have to look for Idemitsu Diesel which is used in Toyota Innova. Take my personal advice, don't use 15W-40 on Honda petrol engine, Honda in US recommends 0W-20 0r 0W-30 max for their petrol engines and I would suggest you look for a 5W-30 for your NHC. Using 15W-40 will cause more harm here as there would be places in your engine which would not get the oil at the right time causing dry friction damage. Also your fuel consumption will go up considerably. Try and find a synthetic 5W-30 like Mobil-I or Shell Ultra Helix.
If I remember correctly the Honda GMO the dealer used to fill in my OHC was 20W-50. Toyota GMO is 15W-40 for petrol engines. Both are made by Idemitsu licensee Savita Chemicals in India.

He needs to check the owners manual for the grade and temperature chart. Cant remember the OHC grade/temp chart now.

It is difficult to get 5W-30 in this country for obvious reasons. Mobil sells 5W-50. Shell HU is 10W-40 albeit at a price of Rs 1k/litre (ouch!!).

Rgds
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 11:24   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thats bad. I woudn't trust them about the loose oil. They are obviously doing it because they would be getting barrels much cheaper... which means more profit.

I dont understand this statement "better not to take a risk". Its like he dosent know what hes talking about himself. Have you gone thru the terms of the warranty? Does it say anywhere that using any other oil, other than that provided by the *** will void the warranty? If not, then there is no issue!

I feel you could consider preserving the cash-memos of your oil purchases and also make the dealer mention that the oil has been changed by them, on your bills. That should satisfy any company... if they care about preserving their good will with customers.

The last and least riskiest think you could do is to get a sealed OEM Idemitsu can from somewhere else, and get it filled at your dealer place. Keep the bill and make a record of this. This would be your safest bet both ways. Actually this is what I had to do with my Hero Honda. Have to get the Idemitsu can from somewhere else and got it filled at the dealer. They even gave me a receipt of the oil change (all this after some stern talk).

The real issue should be that the oil you use (or if you have skipped a change) should not be responsible for having caused the damage for which you are claiming warranty.
You're right...coming to think of it the supervisor doesnt seem to be sure of what he's talking about. I am just downright uncomfortable with loose oil even if it is filled thru automated dispensers at the service ramp. There is no clear mention that the oil has to be changed at the dealers just some vague statement about approved fluids and a cross reference to the page where recommended grade v/s temp chart is depicted. It could be interpreted either way.

I was just doing a little bit of arithmetic. Looks like the price of the Idemitsu Toyota GMO has gone up to Rs 210/litre all inclusive. A year back it used to be 180. Blame it on the high oil prices in the latter half of 2008. With a filter @ Rs 358, crush washer @Rs 30 and labour the total came to Rs 1623 inclusive of taxes. A bloody hefty 35% increase over the Rs 1200 it used to cost me just about a year ago.

Now this has got me thinking seriously. I feel GMO isnt the VFM it was earlier and have to find an alternative. This time I will bite the bullet and do what other owners do...keep oil receipts and oil change records right thru the warranty period. I've been with GMOs since my 9G and the market has moved on. Need to some research on TBHP on the preferred brands etc. Synths not an option for the time being.

PS - Recommended drain interval is 10K kms or 1 year which ever is earlier.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st February 2009 at 11:29. Reason: Added recc drain int.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 11:32   #102
BHPian
 
mdesai_1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hi,
Quote:
gurkha
: its a new car and has done only 1200 kms as of now i dont intend to give it to honda a.s.s. as they dont do a good job at all i had to make a formal complaint about the poor service offered. anyways i intend to get my service booklet stamped by them for availing the free service.

Quote:
R2D2
: thanx the manual says 15w-40/10w-40 but nowhere it mentions 5w-50 or something. they say API-SL quality or better specifically.


can u guys please let me knw if shell helix super 15w-40 API SL is good match? do i have to get my engine flused as it is with factory filled honda engine oil? they say i can use it for petrol engines also.
i intend to go for 5w-40/0w-40 API SM after i cross 10000 kms on my odo.

Last edited by mdesai_1981 : 1st February 2009 at 11:34.
mdesai_1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 13:10   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
hi,
: its a new car and has done only 1200 kms as of now i dont intend to give it to honda a.s.s. as they dont do a good job at all i had to make a formal complaint about the poor service offered. anyways i intend to get my service booklet stamped by them for availing the free service.

: thanx the manual says 15w-40/10w-40 but nowhere it mentions 5w-50 or something. they say API-SL quality or better specifically.


can u guys please let me knw if shell helix super 15w-40 API SL is good match? do i have to get my engine flused as it is with factory filled honda engine oil? they say i can use it for petrol engines also.
i intend to go for 5w-40/0w-40 API SM after i cross 10000 kms on my odo.
Like I said before in forums on synth oil, 5W-50 is NOT recommended for most Indian cars. You would be better off using Shell Helix Ultra (synthetic). But now that you mention your car has done only 1200 kms I'd suggest sticking to mineral multigrade for 8-10,000 kms. This is per most views on TBHP. You could shift to synth after that.

I think you can go in for Castrol Magnatec provided you are able to locate a trustworthy dealer or Idemitsu 15W-40. There are plenty of fake Castrol cans in the mkt. Please be careful. Idemitsu isnt bad...just gets the job done and is OEM fill for Honda and Toyota. I've never used Shell Helix Super so cant comment on it. You dont need to flush your engine when changing multigrade mineral oils. Just make sure the engine is at operating temperature before the drain plug is removed.

Strangely enuff, the Toyota GMO I referred to below is API SJ grade through the manual recommends SL/SM. Go figure.

Rgds,


R2D2

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st February 2009 at 13:16. Reason: Added view on drain plug and eng flush
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:54   #104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,160
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Default

[quote=Gurkha;1152031
Sgiitk, Delo 400 meets or exceeds SL specs for petrol engines. Mobil is just doing marketing bull as UOA reveals Delvac1 outperforming M1 in petrol engines by miles. Even mineral based Delo 400 outperforms Mobil1 when not used in extreme cold conditions. Don't listen to marketing bull, check UOA, thats the final revelation. Racers all across US use Delo 400 in their vehicles and the only reason is that for a fraction of cost, it outperforms all synthetics. The roller cam in early Chevys were prone to wear out quickly when raced and Delo 400 fixed that problem. The fact that I use Delo on my 14500 rpm RC45 as well tells you how good it is in high shear conditions. The UOA was brilliant on the RC45 after a hard day on track.[/quote]

It is quite possible that they are trying to just sell M1 by the comment. I fully agree that for the average road user a full synth is a waste of money.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:20   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Wrote an email to Cheveron on Saturday. Just got a call from their representative. Thats fast work. And btw, had also written 2 emails to Castrol. Been over a week - no reply no call. So much for Castrol's marketing... phooey!!!

Now problem is that even he agreed that their products are hardly available at any retail shop... so he will have to arrange for them himself. Further he said, they are currently targetting garages and service centres for their products.

Unfortunately Delo 400 is available only in 10 litre cans (minimum). :( Now thats way more than I need! :( They do have many other products (like Delo Gold, etc), as he said... and they are available in smaller cans.

For all fully synthetic fans out here - they have a fully synthetic product for Rs. 1,009 for a 4 litre can! Thats an amazing price!! In fact all their products seem to be priced VERY attractively!

I asked him I need tech specs of their products and that their website for India isn't providing these details. He said he would email or courier me the details by tommorrow!

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd February 2009 at 16:22.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experience - Castrol Magnatec Vs Total Quartz 7000 abhaybakshi Technical Stuff 22 25th October 2014 08:17
Castrol Bikezone = Castrol Bikepoint? UPDATE: Review of Ace Bikes, Bangalore (pg2) Soumyajit9 Motorbikes 20 21st July 2013 23:48
VW use Castrol Magnatec 5W40 for Polo, Why not EDGE? gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 7 4th March 2011 00:46
OWS 15W40 vs Castrol Magnatec - Which is Better ibm_jennifer Technical Stuff 6 27th August 2008 02:20
Castrol R4 superbike engine oil for Honda Unicorn devsus Motorbikes 4 4th May 2007 10:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks