Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 14:04   #31
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
where is this black plastic located please can u specify ?
Oops.. forgot to mention that.
Right top corner of the engine bay.

Below to the right of the coil, usually next to the A/C's capacitor looking thingy
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:14   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default

Bhaiyo,If something was truely wrong with your car, it would never function perfectly with awesome pickup even once and go back to sluggishness the 2nd time,It would be sluggish all the time.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:30   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Bhaiyo,If something was truely wrong with your car, it would never function perfectly with awesome pickup even once and go back to sluggishness the 2nd time,It would be sluggish all the time.
ya thats what i feel. if there is some problem then car will never be fast at any times. to update on the same yes eve it was slow , but now while coming to the office it was zooming crazy.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:31   #34
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Is this the same for BS II models , mine is BS II. does the EGR need general cleaning/ servicing ?
Let me make this simple for you:

If your car is a BS II then the following malfunctioning can affect performance

1. Fuel pressure delivery

2. Manifold pressure sensor

3. Oxygen sensor

4. Temperature sensor

If your car is BS III apart from the above you further have the EGR to worry about.

You really do need to take the car to an authorised service centre where they can electronically diagnose which of the above are failing, albeit intermittently, and correct the same. The ECU is like a brain that runs off all these devices' current outputs. Any erroneous output will cause the ECU to compensate to the detriment of engine power
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:42   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Let me make this simple for you:

If your car is a BS II then the following malfunctioning can affect performance

1. Fuel pressure delivery

2. Manifold pressure sensor

3. Oxygen sensor

4. Temperature sensor

If your car is BS III apart from the above you further have the EGR to worry about.

You really do need to take the car to an authorised service centre where they can electronically diagnose which of the above are failing, albeit intermittently, and correct the same. The ECU is like a brain that runs off all these devices' current outputs. Any erroneous output will cause the ECU to compensate to the detriment of engine power
Thanks a lot moderators, now the experts peep in.
Well DGK sir, good that you are assisting. are u trying to say that some/one of the above components are giving error codes?

does this make the car behave funny, i mean move fast at times and then sluggish on the next day?

well one more strange thing i observed yesterday evening was that i drove in continuous city stop and go traffic for a while with AC on.
Suddenly the RPM started fluctuating over a wide range, the rpm shooted very high for 3-4 seconds and the next 3-4 sec it went normal again next 3-4 second it reached the peaks. this was with AC on.
the compressor was kicking in and out in a cyclic patters like a AC current wave.
the sound was like " Vrooom (3-4 sec)......blank (2-3 sec)...Vrooom (3-4 sec)....blank" this was continuously happening till i switched off the AC.

Then later on i parked my car and again drove after 2-3 hours and then it was completely back to normal. the ac compressor kicked in for long minutes then after attaining temperatures it again went off for long minutes.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:47   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,897
Thanked: 2,478 Times
Default

Amit was it just the sound that was increasing or you had RPM climbing which would mean you would have had to press clutch to control the car?
Technocrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:53   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Amit was it just the sound that was increasing or you had RPM climbing which would mean you would have had to press clutch to control the car?
in neutral too the RPM was increasing and decreasing over the wide range. the AC compressor was clipping for every few seconds. i was driving in LAXMI road traffic. the engine temp was normal. i even opened the bonnet and checked the engine was reeving wild and the rpm was increasing and decreasing in a cyclic pattern
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:56   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
does this make the car behave funny, i mean move fast at times and then sluggish on the next day?
Most certainly. The ECU fiddles the fuel/air mixture, advances/retards timing, works the EGR (in case of BSIII) all in an effort to minimise emissions. If any of the sensors/devices we mentioned start to malfunction, albeit intermittently, the resultant mix of settings used by the ECU are compromised and leads to less than optimal engine performance. There's no reason for you to worry. Its a systematic diagnosis which will spot the culprit. You do need a diagnostic tool to evaluate the feeds to the ECU, hence my recommendation you go to a fullfledged Maruti workshop.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:00   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,897
Thanked: 2,478 Times
Default

This is certainly weird, must be very difficult to drive in such condition.

You havent shown it to My car yet ?
Technocrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:11   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BRMT
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

please check the tube fitting in the circle shown in the pic.
whether it is loose? check it asap. i think it is loose.
Name:  Image000.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  36.7 KB

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 14th October 2008 at 15:16.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:11   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Most certainly. The ECU fiddles the fuel/air mixture, advances/retards timing, works the EGR (in case of BSIII) all in an effort to minimise emissions. If any of the sensors/devices we mentioned start to malfunction, albeit intermittently, the resultant mix of settings used by the ECU are compromised and leads to less than optimal engine performance. There's no reason for you to worry. Its a systematic diagnosis which will spot the culprit. You do need a diagnostic tool to evaluate the feeds to the ECU, hence my recommendation you go to a fullfledged Maruti workshop.
the problem is when i take my car to the service centre she behaves normally so the guys there dont understand what i want to show them.
i will ask them to clip on the computer and check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This is certainly weird, must be very difficult to drive in such condition.

You havent shown it to My car yet ?
ya i have to do the clutch brake combination . i need to ask MY CAR guys to diagnosis it with the help of a computer.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:13   #42
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i will ask them to clip on the computer and check it.
They can hook a laptop and you guys can go for a drive to see different conditions and the ECU readings
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:19   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
They can hook a laptop and you guys can go for a drive to see different conditions and the ECU readings
Thanks a lot sir, i will right away go to them. i have spoken with the service advisor. i hope he has a laptop. the only thing i have seen with them is the TECH2 and they check the readings only in idling condition.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 18:42   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default

VOILA!!

as said i hurried up to the maruti service centre SAI SERVICE in pune and caught hold of an engine expert. they dont have any laptops and they said MUL doesnt provide any. they have TECH1 and TECH2 which does all the detail analysis.

connected it to the tech2 and started the engine, the MAP SENSOR ERROR popped up. cleared the error. he said he reset it. then again started the engine and went for a spin on manual mode of the tech2. everthing seemed to be okay. the IAC was 50-69% and many more records were there which i dont remember.

then again went to the DTC screen and checked. there was no DTC found.

Reason behind this : All this happened due to pressure cleaning in the engine compartment. all my fault, i asked him to clean neatly
Rust/Water/moisture forms on some of the sensor components and it malfunctions for a while and it throws a error code and then it gets captured in ECU. it doesnt go off untill and unless its cleared or reset by tech2. even if the sensors work properly the feedback loop of the AIR INTAKE SENSOR and the MAP SENSOR doesnt work properly.

Now my car has sprung back into the action. its revving smoothly and quickly in the 3rd gear everything has become normal now.

i have learnt a good lesson now.

* one think i dint get. after all this blunder why doesnt the engine check light glow? whats the use if one doesnt come to know that his ecu is having errors? its people like me who critically hear the engine for every km i drive. what about people who just drive the car as it is ? there should be some system to alert.

Thanks a lot to all the people who have helped me in agony, also special thanks to DKG sircheers:
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 18:59   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BRMT
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Good to know that your car is back to normal.
Can any one clarify that ecu resetting suggested by DADU can solve such problems?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 14th October 2008 at 19:03.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disturbing behavior by a driver in Bangalore rameshspassion Street Experiences 21 28th May 2010 11:06
Abnormal clutch pedal behavior? lordofgondor Technical Stuff 6 13th March 2009 12:51
Expert Advice Needed: Audio System for Ikon(Budget 20 K) mohit_moh In-Car Entertainment 5 18th November 2007 20:45
Shameful behavior - 15 bikers beat up war veteran in a fit of road rage DriverR Shifting gears 11 24th September 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks