Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th October 2008, 12:19   #16
BHPian

Default An observation

This might be of some help to my friends on the forum to help diagnose my problem, the erratic acceleration completely vanishes when i switch on the AC, even when it comes back and i drag the car in a high gear with the RPM less than 1 the erratic behavior stops completely. Like suggested on the other threads i am using system G, it seems to help sometimes but the other times i feel like an idiot, because the behavior is the same as always. And what is a LAMDA sensor where do i look for it in my car.
sabnavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 14:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabnavis View Post
This might be of some help to my friends on the forum to help diagnose my problem, the erratic acceleration completely vanishes when i switch on the AC, even when it comes back and i drag the car in a high gear with the RPM less than 1 the erratic behavior stops completely. Like suggested on the other threads i am using system G, it seems to help sometimes but the other times i feel like an idiot, because the behavior is the same as always. And what is a LAMDA sensor where do i look for it in my car.
BTW, where do you take your car for service. Is that RF or someone else?
Whoever it is, I dont think you've to pay for a part unless your problem is solved.
shineshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 16:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabnavis View Post

Hi,

One thing for sure my dear friend. ECU is definitely not the culprit. So done be worried to shell out your money on ECU at least. Your ECU report shows which particular item is having an error. Error can be fixed by fixing an issue with that Item, or by replacing paticular Item.

I prefer you show your car to any other machanic, just for advice, and quote. I feel your present mechanic is upto make you spend money on it, by the way he offered 50,000 rupees. I dont really know on what basis.

If he is ready to sell any such car at a price of 50,000 I am ready to take it as long as it start in a crank.

Any ways, i will try to check and help you, please PM me your number, I shall call you if I need more clarity.

Thanks,
Naveen.KK
naveen.kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 11:22   #19

Guys, i am facing a similar kind of problem in my palio 1.2. Once i switch on the engine their is this sound of clutch engaging again and again. even without cranking the engine. the last 3 days the car failed to start. now the mechanic tried with another ecm and the car started immediately. now he says the ECM needs to be changed and it costs around 12K.

Ps. He says he tried putting my ecm in another palio and it didnt start. so he says it the ECM which is faulty.
I am a novice and this is my first car please help me guys.

Cheers,
Rosario
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 23:19   #20
DRC
BHPian

I would almost rule out the ECU failure.
I strongly suspect the throttle body/stpper motor which is in throttle body. In fact it has a little high rate of failure. More so if you are using K&N filter (oil). get this cleaned and you should be alright.

Also, check the input manifold tempt./pressure sensor. This also can cause the similar effect. You can clean it and re-use if you have a steady and delicate hands.

All the best, hope the problem get sorted out without much of hasle.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 20:15   #21
BHPian

hi i know a guy in mumbai who repairs ecu at chip level he does it for merc's and beamers and types too. his name is waltern and his number is 9224013425 he is located in borivali
mdesai_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 09:36   #22
BHPian

The issues with Palio or any Fiat car for example are in no way diminishing with the years, and I am also one frustrated Palio user.

Two worse things on top of each other - one, the parts develop faults and two, there is no service when it matters and most are out to bleed you.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:04   #23

@Zaks: what he said is very much true, their is not much competent mechanic for Fiat vehicles and that too if they come across some one like me who doesnt understand the mechanism in the vehicle then they are almost making as bankrupt.

My mechanic also said that the ECU can be repaired and took mine and he said some so called IC was changed in the ECU for which he charged 5.5K, Now when their is a similar problem he just simply passes on to say you need to change the ECU and if we get to check the Old ECU, for that they will charge again.

Ps. Today i am going to GP road in chennai for the ECU. will update you guys.

Cheers,
Rosario
Old 8th October 2009, 10:35   #24

Guys, got to source the ECU for my palio 1.2 costed me 8k plus Tax.

The car is powering on. guess their will not be any other issue.

Ps: The ECU was bought in gautam automobiles in GP road, chennai.

Cheers,
Rosario
Old 9th October 2009, 17:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosario View Post
Guys, got to source the ECU for my palio 1.2 costed me 8k plus Tax.

The car is powering on. guess their will not be any other issue.

Ps: The ECU was bought in gautam automobiles in GP road, chennai.

Cheers,
Rosario
Is this the original Magnet Mareli ECU? Does it come with warranty? 8K is dirt cheap!
cnureddy.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 13:51   #26

Default Reopening the thread

Originally Posted by sabnavis "The problem is that the engine accelerates to 5000 and cuts off raises to 5000 and cuts of and keeps doing it, once i dis engange the clutch the rpm comes down to sane levels and as soon as i depress the clutch the erratic behaviour continues,"

Hi Sabnavas I am facing exactly the similar problem in my Siena 1.6. Could you please update us on how did you solve the problem?
r_subbiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 13:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

I got an new ECU for my Palio 1.6 GTX for 12.5K incl of taxes.
hillram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 14:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

@ hillarm - did you source it from FASS? FASS in Kolkata quoted 16K including taxes (Jan '09).

What happened to the original ECU?

Do they have a separate ECU for GTX / Sport / Stile` Sport 1.6s?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 6th January 2010 at 14:30.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 17:10   #29
BHPian

Default Corsa 1.6 cannot maintain idling

Dear All,
I am unable to find any answers to my post thats why i am posting this here:
I own a 1.6 corsa and am facing a major problem with the vehicle and need urgent assistance.
The vehicle is unable to maintain idling during running / using the vehicle, meaning, the engine switches off when the clutch is pressed during
traffic, turning etc. The service center guys are not able to find the source of the problem and made me change parts unnecessarily.
Parts changed by trial and error method:
1. Ignition Coil
2. Fuel Pump
3. TDC Sensor

If anyone knows or has faced a similar problem like this, i would appreciate all the help i can get.Thanks
nc1bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 22:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

These are the things you need to get checked in this order
- lamda sensor. THis sensor determines the amount of air in the exhausts and thereby the ecu controls the about of air that flows into the fuel mixture. A mis reading here could lead to the ecu wrongly sending in more / less air leading to fluctuating rpm's

- Stepper Motor on Throttle body / Throttle body (on some models you can change/clean the stepper motor alone but on some the whole throttle body has to be changed). This is the one thing that could always go wrong on the FIAT (particularly 1.6) engine. (not sure about other engines)

- Alternator - some ecus could increase rpm to give the alternator enough power to do its job. Though a very rare possibility a fault here could possibly lead to higher rpms

Please get back once your problem is solved and let us know. Its very bad that people post when they have an issue and never get back to tell us whether or how it was solved.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote