Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th April 2014, 16:36   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Ikon Engine Overheating and Damage

Sorry for the delayed update...
Temp gauge is showing normal temperature now ...
It must have been faulty temp sensor...
sbalagru6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 14:19   #62
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Ikon Engine Overheating and Damage

Issue is back again. High speed fan is always running and when I get out of the car after stopping at office or home, I can feel the hot air from engine bay.

Temp gauge is not at all moving and at left most position even after driving around for ~15 Kms..
Old 13th May 2014, 14:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

You may ask your mechanic to check the thermostat valve as well.

The coolant tank cap, temperature sensor and thermostat valve are the usual suspects.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 15:38   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Issue is back again. High speed fan is always running and when I get out of the car after stopping at office or home, I can feel the hot air from engine bay.

Temp gauge is not at all moving and at left most position even after driving around for ~15 Kms..
Check if there is sufficient amount of coolant in the tank. Cars measure the coolant temperature to determine the temperature reading on the instrument panel. No coolant may still read 'cool' temperature.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 14:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
You may ask your mechanic to check the thermostat valve as well.

The coolant tank cap, temperature sensor and thermostat valve are the usual suspects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Check if there is sufficient amount of coolant in the tank. Cars measure the coolant temperature to determine the temperature reading on the instrument panel. No coolant may still read 'cool' temperature.
Went to the mechanic yesterday and showed the problem. He suspected the problem might be because of faulty temperature switch. They sourced a new one from outside and fixed it. While fixing it some amount of coolant was leaked and they filled some water in the coolant tank to compensate that.

As soon as I started the car the temp gauge was showing maximum temperature at "H" position . I asked them not to do anymore R&D and connected the old temp switch back.

While driving back, within 500 meters, the high speed fan came on with loud noise. When I opened the trunk I could see the coolant was boiling and the coolant level was below minimum.

Went back to the mechanic showed the issue and they were surprised how come the coolant level went down. They waited for the engine to cool down and poured some more water till it reached maximum level.

After that everything was fine and now the temp gauge also showing the correct temperature. When asked the mechanic said it might have been due to air lock in the coolant flow....

I am wondering what happened exactly?!
Old 15th May 2014, 14:27   #66
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
After that everything was fine and now the temp gauge also showing the correct temperature.

Some things do get fixed by itself, its normal. My car was spitting for some days, today it was all ok.
Quote:
When asked the mechanic said it might have been due to air lock in the coolant flow....
Never heard of this

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 18:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering what happened exactly?!
As the mechanic said, there must have been an air pocket inside, so less coolant=system running in high temperature.

Usually the system burps itself through the coolant expansion tank, so it is better to wait till the engine reach operating temperature as it idles and observe the coolant level.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 20:41   #68
BHPian

Angry Re: Ikon Engine Overheating and Damage

My car is at it again.

Today morning while driving on ORR near Marathahalli junction temp gauge went all the way to max and high speed fan kicked in.

There was smoke coming from front, coolant was boiling and leaking from coolant tank cap. Imagine my situation in the middle of a traffic jam at peak morning hour.

Went to a nearby garage and asked them to check. They checked and said coolant flow is fine and it could be because of head gasket.

Somehow managed to bring the car back to my trusted mechanic (Sejal Motors) by pouring some 2 lts of cold water in the coolant tank and stopping every 5 minutes.

Now engine head removed and sent to lathe for checking surface smoothness and pressure. Radiator sent for flushing, head gasket seems to be gone (Not sure how they are saying, visibly i could not figure out anything).

Once the car is ready will update this thread.

Last edited by sbalagru6 : 29th May 2014 at 20:42.
Old 29th May 2014, 22:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
head gasket seems to be gone (Not sure how they are saying, visibly i could not figure out anything).
I already told you your engine is running hot.

Since head has been removed, putting in a new gasket is anyways mandated; am wondering whether you poured cold water in a (rather too hot) engine in an eagerness to get it to the mechanic fast.

If you have long term plans with your car, then check for the coolant tank(it gets brittle and hard) or at least the coolant tank cap(look underneath for cracks in the black rubber thing).

Also ask your mechanic to check the thermostat valve's working. It cost's about 650.

I forgot to tell you this before: check if the slow speed fan comes on immediately after switching on the AC.

A thorough flushing of the cooling system will give some benefits too; there are plenty of videos about it on youtube.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 19:25   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I already told you your engine is running hot.
Yes you were right. But could not find time to check it out and now I am paying for it.

Now I have checked, there are no cracks in the coolant cap and it closes properly after tightening, also will ask the mechanic to check the thermostat valve.

Got the fuel injectors cleaned at Bosch. Feedback from lathe is header is having compression leak and they will fix it, head gasket will be replaced.
Water pump already changed a year back.

Slow speed fan comes on immediately after switching on the AC, so I guess we can rule out this. .