Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th October 2008, 15:39   #91
BHPian

@ SirAlec: Yes maybe you are right, I have LPG kit fitted and RPM is always set little higher than normal in this mode. But got the carb recently tuned and RPM from engine sound looks normal, I don't have tachcometer so not sure of exact figure.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 18:06   #92

Hi..Have a query on this gear shifting.
Typically I was always told by the ‘Motor training school’ people that you should not change to first gear when the vehicle is moving even if it's at very slow speeds.
First gear is only to pull the stationary vehicle into motion.
However when I drive Alto Lxi I notice that when the speed falls approx below 6 kms/hr..the vehicle starts jerking in second gear and I need to eventually move to first and slowly increase the speed so that I can again move to 2 and 3 etc.
My vehicle running requirement is quite low, max 3 or 4 kms per day. So far it’s only driven for about 700 Km.
Any comments on this would be great. Thanks
patkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 19:01   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkim View Post
Typically I was always told by the ‘Motor training school’ people that you should not change to first gear when the vehicle is moving even if it's at very slow speeds.
However when I drive Alto Lxi I notice that when the speed falls approx below 6 kms/hr..the vehicle starts jerking in second gear and I need to eventually move to first and slowly increase the speed so that I can again move to 2 and 3 etc.
My vehicle running requirement is quite low, max 3 or 4 kms per day. So far it’s only driven for about 700 Km.
Don't believe everything that motor driving school teachers say. You should shift to first gear at dead slow speeds of if you feel that second gear can't take it. These driving school folks used to drive diesel ambys and trekkers and in those, it is quite possible even to take off from standstill in second gear.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 19:15   #94
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is completely not applicable on present generation cars. Forget what the Motor training school said.

Infact as you get to bigger/ faster cars the gears become taller. i.e. the 2nd gear starts from speeds quite far from stationary.

Although, I'd still follow that rule if I had to put the reverse gear in a car which is moving forward even crawling forward. [i.e. make it stop before engaging reverse]

Last edited by SLK : 19th October 2008 at 19:16.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 20:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Been studying this thread keenly and now i have a question of my own. Hope my question makes any sense.
I drive in city situations where i can change to 5th gear after +60kmph and can stay there for 1 or 2 mnts before i need to reduce speed to 50kmph or below and hence I down shift.
Now my question is if while driving around 60kmph in 5th gear i need need to slow down to say 45-50kmph for 10 seconds (say while passing an empty T junction) and then speed up again, for those few seconds is it better to down shift to 4th or keep going in the 5th?
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 00:15   #96
Senior - BHPian

My advice is not to use overdrive in city conditions.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 07:03   #97
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Now my question is if while driving around 60kmph in 5th gear i need need to slow down to say 45-50kmph for 10 seconds (say while passing an empty T junction) and then speed up again, for those few seconds is it better to down shift to 4th or keep going in the 5th?
Depends on the car and the load its under. If it can take off in the 5th without any problems/vibrations from 40-45kms/h then you can just keep going in the 5th.

But there's another view on this, since driving @45km/h in 5th gear won't have any engine braking at all, it would increase your braking time and distance in case you need to brake hard on the T junction. That said, you'll be in better control in a lower gear.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 09:26   #98
Senior - BHPian

@deky: I would shift to 4th instantly whenever there is a need. It depends on the driving style. I shift gears a lot, and make sure that the car can accelerate whenever needed.

If you have fuel saving in mind, then also I would recommend shifting to 4th since flooring the pedal in 5th will waste more fuel than smoothly going at 4th without flooring it. Keep one hand in the gear lever itself when you do city driving
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:14   #99

I have Maruti alto. I wish to know what is the recommended speed at which one should move back to 4th gear from 5th.
I noticed that when the speed was slowed from 60 to around 45 -50 and when I changed to 4th at this point some jerks and sudden change in speed was given by car as if it had to adjust itself significantly for this change. Mostly I drive in city and relatively short distances and hence there have not been many occasions when I need to move to 5th and then come to 4th
Thx
patkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 23:51   #100
BHPian

Arrow GEars & Gears

I like to shift gears frequently during my drives, and don't try to Over-rev. I find that a speed of 45-50 KmpH in 4th gear in city conditions is quite ok for me. Trying to reach beyond 70 in 5th usually does not work out in cities because of the traffic, and the bumps/potholes. 45-50 in 4th should do nicely for control and fuel efficiency.
ascertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 11:02   #101
BHPian

Its an old but relevant thread. I have seen other people and also sometimes, I shift from 3rd to 5th directly as it has reached adequate speeds/rpm of say 40kmph. It this OK? Can this style add to more efficiency?
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 23:24   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Its an old but relevant thread. I have seen other people and also sometimes, I shift from 3rd to 5th directly as it has reached adequate speeds/rpm of say 40kmph. It this OK? Can this style add to more efficiency?
Automatics sometimes have a "Fuel Efficent" mode and "Sporty" mode.

The first up shifts quickly, and the second does not and instead uses the entire range of the engine's power band.

So you are emulating the first mode.

Hope that helped.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 00:58   #103
BHPian

enjoy your steed instead of breaking your head on shift rpms and millimeters of accelerator .
travel i know a guy who regularly gets 20 kmpl in city and 28 kmpl on highways in his ZEN but the car takes forever to reach any sort of SPEED. i feel the fe depends more on the state of tune rather than the way it is driven.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 11:16   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a throwback to olden days where gearboxes were not synchromesh, and even on some synchromesh boxes, the first was constant mesh and hence could not be engaged when in motion(Unless you were willing to hear the KRRRRRRRRR sound a lot)

Quote:
One should learn to drive by feel, keeping the engine in a rev band where it is comfortable hauling the weight of the car. Lugging is just not good for the engine and the drive train. Also, do not allow speeds in higher gear to become too low where the car begins to judder, before changing gear.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 12:28   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I have Maruti alto. I wish to know what is the recommended speed at which one should move back to 4th gear from 5th.
I noticed that when the speed was slowed from 60 to around 45 -50 and when I changed to 4th at this point some jerks and sudden change in speed was given by car as if it had to adjust itself significantly for this change. Mostly I drive in city and relatively short distances and hence there have not been many occasions when I need to move to 5th and then come to 4th
Thx
I don't agree that you can't use 5th gear much in city on alto. Infact maruti alto manual recommends shifting to 4th gear at 40 kmph and 5th gear at 50 kmph(something like (10,20,30,40,50 for 1-5 gears respectively). Infact in chandigarh where i drive there are roundabouts every 750 m or so and still I comfortably use 50 all the time coming down to 3rd or 4th on the roundabouts depending on traffic. I manage a good FE of 17+ in city with AC.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote