Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 15:16   #1
Newbie
 
Srinivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Battery problem or starter problem or....??

Hello friends,

I own a 2006 Scorpio SLX CRDE. Of late I am having trouble starting the vehicle. Let me describe the problem:

1. When I turn the ignition to "on" position , all the lights and indications on the display panel glow and respond normally.
Next when I turn further to start, there is only a "click" sound. The engine doesn't start.

I then tried cranking the accelerator (like the way we used to do to the amby before) and then then it started off well.

I am not sure why this is happening.

2. I checked the engine coolant reservoir and it was almost empty. I added some water to top it since I didnt have the coolant with me. After this the vehicle has had no problems starting, I dont need to crank the accelerator etc now. I just checked this today.

3. Does the coolant have anything to do with the starting problem. I have bought a can of puroguard today which I will be using to top off the resevoir can today evening.

4. By the way should I fill the coolant as it is into the reservoir can or should I mix a proportion of water with it?

5. Do diesel vehicles need any special coolant or are coolants the same irrespective of the engine?

6. Or is there some issue with the battery/starter. The headlights are bright and the horn sounds good. Is there any other way to check if the battery is the real issue?

I need some gyan on this Thanks in advance!
Srinivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 17:49   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 22,610 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas View Post
...Next when I turn further to start, there is only a "click" sound. The engine doesn't start....
Is it just a single CLICK - or does the engine keep cranking loudly but not start ?

If its just a single click - it could be a starter solenoid / relay problem.

Quote:
4. By the way should I fill the coolant as it is into the reservoir can or should I mix a proportion of water with it?
In short - yes.
Please search. We have some recent threads on this issue.
OR - just read the instructions on the bottle of coolant that you buy!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th October 2008 at 17:52.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 21:25   #3
BHPian
 
DarkEraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

1. & 6.
There may be some carbon deposits on battery . Clean it.
You may need to check water level of your battery, if it's NOT maintenance free battery. I am not sure though.

2.
Put some water in radiator also. DON'T OPEN IT, if you have already started your car.

3.
AFAIK, it has nothing to do with car starting problem. Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.

4.
LOL, read this thread (What will be the effect of 100% coolant?)

HTH
DarkEraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 22:33   #4
BHPian
 
Shashank.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 479
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If its just a single click - it could be a starter solenoid / relay problem.
I second that. It happened in my car, for first few times it was click and then it would start normally. then the problem aggravated and it almost never started.

The culprit was Solenoid.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 23:26   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian
 
Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore, Mumbai, Nagpur
Posts: 2,165
Thanked: 144 Times
Default

Man I've just been there yesterday!! Is this de ja vu or is this de ja vu?

After suspecting everything, getting a new Amaron-Flo battery and disabling the remote central locking system, I figured it was the starter solenoid on my Alto-componented 2002 Maruti 800 12-valve MPFI 5 speed.

The starter and solenoid were a dog to remove because of the cramped space in the engine bay. But finally we got the solenoid replaced and happiness at last !!!

Name:  Lucasstartersolenoid.jpg
Views: 12090
Size:  47.2 KB
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 12:24   #6
Newbie
 
Srinivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thank you all for your inputs. It is just a click, no half-whirring sound etc.
I shall go to the garage todat.

And yes, it starts fine sometimes but kind of keeps on "clicking" at other times. So before it dies out completely, I better rush

Thanks again !
Srinivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 13:08   #7
BHPian
 
Shashank.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 479
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas View Post
And yes, it starts fine sometimes but kind of keeps on "clicking" at other times. So before it dies out completely, I better rush
Solenoid for sure !! get it changed ASAP..!!
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 17:42   #8
BHPian
 
whitemm550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Margao goa
Posts: 349
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas View Post
Hello friends,

I own a 2006 Scorpio SLX CRDE. Of late I am having trouble starting the vehicle. Let me describe the problem:

1. When I turn the ignition to "on" position , all the lights and indications on the display panel glow and respond normally.
Next when I turn further to start, there is only a "click" sound. The engine doesn't start.

I then tried cranking the accelerator (like the way we used to do to the amby before) and then then it started off well.

I am not sure why this is happening.

2. I checked the engine coolant reservoir and it was almost empty. I added some water to top it since I didnt have the coolant with me. After this the vehicle has had no problems starting, I dont need to crank the accelerator etc now. I just checked this today.

3. Does the coolant have anything to do with the starting problem. I have bought a can of puroguard today which I will be using to top off the resevoir can today evening.

4. By the way should I fill the coolant as it is into the reservoir can or should I mix a proportion of water with it?

5. Do diesel vehicles need any special coolant or are coolants the same irrespective of the engine?

6. Or is there some issue with the battery/starter. The headlights are bright and the horn sounds good. Is there any other way to check if the battery is the real issue?

I need some gyan on this Thanks in advance!
hey friend.
i can surely gaurantee that the problem is with your starter, nothing else, but still i suggest that you go to a battery shop, and ask the guy for a service battery, put that on and try cranking again, that will pinpoint your problem in a less tedious way, try calling 18004254848, thats amaron battery, they will gladly help u out.
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 07:44   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
deehunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,052
Thanked: 769 Times
Default Re: Battery problem or starter problem or....??

I am unable to start my vehicle, when I turn the key to ignition position all lights dim and there is a very feeble crank sound, the vehicle was running fine till yesterday morning and there were no signs of battery problem till yesterday. But when I went to take out the car in the evening it did not start. My Accent has run on stock battery for 44.5k km and is 5 years old. Shall i try to jump start or replace battery.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 08:05   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: Battery problem or starter problem or....??

Battery is gone, jump start and replace battery.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 23:05   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
deehunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,052
Thanked: 769 Times
Default Re: Battery problem or starter problem or....??

I found a new website www.batterybhai.com where you can place an order for battery online, delivery will be within 24 hours to your place plus free installation. I placed an order for Amaron AAM-PR-0055B24LS, 45Ah battery for my Accent in the morning and the technician came to my place and installed the battery by evening, my old battery was exchanged for Rs.700 and I paid Rs.4700 for the new battery. The technician Mr.Ashok offers service at your door step and his contact number is 7483266179. His service center is located in Mahadevapura.

Last edited by deehunk : 17th July 2012 at 23:07.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 13:08   #12
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 4,538 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk
I found a new website www.batterybhai.com where you can place an order for battery online, delivery will be within 24 hours to your place plus free installation.
Thanks a lot for sharing that link, deehunk!

That is an excellent resource for those looking to buy an automobile or inverter battery or just comparing different brands and their prices (even if one does not actually buy a battery from them). When our i10's OEM battery was nearing the end of its life, I searched the websites of most battery manufacturers (very tedious and some don't have all the required information like approximate price) before choosing Amaron. A website like this solves the problem. Someone posted a similar, very useful site for tyres in another thread.

Delighted to see e-commerce steadily coming of age in the automobile aftermarket scenario in India.

Edit: The inverter section is still under construction. I wish they add two-wheeler batteries in the future as well!

Last edited by RSR : 19th July 2012 at 13:33.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 07:30   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 757
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Buzzing behind dash, Civic won't start

I have a Honda Civic 2006. From yesterday, the car won't
start. When I turned the ignition, the
engine wouldn't crank and there is a buzzing sound behind the dash. The buzz is located in the dashboard on the right side. the entire dash
(warning lights, speedometer dial, fuel, CD
player, etc do switch on but flicker when I crank the engine.
Any help? Can anyone help me pinpoint the problem?
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 11:39   #14
BHPian
 
1self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 627
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Buzzing behind dash, civic wont start

I think your battery is drained. Get it charged or get a new one if this fails charging.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 12:24   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bangy
Posts: 259
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Buzzing behind dash, civic wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I have a Honda Civic 2006. From yesterday, the car won't
start. When I turned the ignition, the
engine wouldn't crank and there is a buzzing sound behind the dash. The buzz is located in the dashboard on the right side. the entire dash
(warning lights, speedometer dial, fuel, CD
player, etc do switch on but flicker when I crank the engine.
Any help? Can anyone help me pinpoint the problem?

I had similar issue with my swift. All the light flickers and was not cranking. Called helpline they came and checked the battery. it was Stock and 4.5 yrs old. they said battery is gone bad and needs replacement. problem solved with new battery.


Get your battery replaced if its old one. you will be good to go.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery dealer installs 3-wheeler battery in my car!! Now what? Soumyajit9 Technical Stuff 29 19th December 2016 11:06
PICS: SF Sonic Battery Factory. Detailed report on the making of a Car Battery S2!!! Technical Stuff 29 16th April 2016 11:39
Replacing Existing Battery with a Cummins Shakti Truck Battery? condor Technical Stuff 12 25th November 2010 15:29
Battery question - Can I use Indica Spec Battery in Scorpio, or other such swaps? shekharlele Technical Stuff 18 7th September 2010 09:05
Using a battery tender to revive discharged battery xxaarraa Technical Stuff 2 14th May 2008 19:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks