Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 21:55   #7786
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Not to forget that GY Assurance is also an OE tire for most manufacturers including Honda. Triple max is an improved version of the good old Assurance and I expect it to be good. Also, the best part that I forgot to put here is that these tires have a two year unconditional warranty!! That's a big assurance (pun intended)!!

Also got the Civic serviced. Had the brake calipers greased, oil changed and the iridium plugs cleaned. Sadly, Idemitsu has discontinued 0W-30 synthetic oil and hence had to settle for mineral oil 5W-30. A new breed of 0W-20 is being rolled out this month in fully synthetic avatar by Idemitsu.
The service cost me about 4K rupees.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 14:15   #7787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
My stock GY Eagle NCT 5, gave me goodservice for 60k, and then GY Excellence gave me good service for 40K. My experience with Yoko - db, was mixed. It gave me service for 15K

I am running on GY assurance for the last 15K. I like them.

Anyways I do not know how to make out if I am gliding or flying with tyres , so GY is the best bet for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Not to forget that GY Assurance is also an OE tire for most manufacturers including Honda. Triple max is an improved version of the good old Assurance and I expect it to be good. Also, the best part that I forgot to put here is that these tires have a two year unconditional warranty!! That's a big assurance (pun intended)!!
Regards.
Thanks Saket and Laluks ! I've been keenly following the tyre debate. There are those who swear by their Michelins, Yokos, Contis etc. on the one hand and those (exemplified by laluks) who insist that they don't find too substantial a difference. I've also seen an interesting comment that a new tyre is initially always better than the outgoing one, which explains why both camps hold strongly to their views. While on the point, Saket, how did the GYs feel in comparison to the outgoing Pirellis, especially on road noise?

As for me, I got Yoko A-drives last year; it's been less than 10K kms, and they are holding up ok. I am open to switching camps next time, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Also got the Civic serviced. Had the brake calipers greased, oil changed and the iridium plugs cleaned. Sadly, Idemitsu has discontinued 0W-30 synthetic oil and hence had to settle for mineral oil 5W-30. A new breed of 0W-20 is being rolled out this month in fully synthetic avatar by Idemitsu.
The service cost me about 4K rupees.

Regards.
Wasn't the outgoing 0W-30 a semi-synth (& therefore not too expensive)? Any news on how much the new Idemitsu synthetic will cost?
coolvenk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 16:40   #7788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
There are those who swear by their Michelins, Yokos, Contis etc. on the one hand and those (exemplified by laluks) who insist that they don't find too substantial a difference. I've also seen an interesting comment that a new tyre is initially always better than the outgoing one, which explains why both camps hold strongly to their views. While on the point, Saket, how did the GYs feel in comparison to the outgoing Pirellis, especially on road noise?
Warning: we may be opening a can of worms!
After using Michelin, Pirelli, Ceats, MRF, JKs and even Modi Continental, this is my first Goodyear purchase.
Though, I can vouch for silent cabin and good road grip for Michelin XM1+ as its the only Michelin I have used; but I am deeply disappointed by the durability aspect and even quality control of the earliest batches which were made in Thailand. Dealer attitude made sure that I won't buy a Michelin again.

Coming to regular tires like GY, then there are varities in their products to suit a general leyman buyer and to an extent, to satisfy the enthusiastic ones with higher variants. Let me give an example, GY offers Ducaro Himiler for regular buyers which is a hard rubber, hi mileage tire. You can't expect much of peformance like grip, silence and comfort out of it. But it does the job for an average joe which form the majority of Indian buyers.
If you go a step above, then there there are better tires like Eagle NCT5, Assurance, Eagle F1 and Assurance Triplemax. So I would not say that these tires are very 'basic' tires. I expect them to be medium compound tires, esp those which are pitched as having excellent wet and dry grip.
Also, my Zen will get new shoes very soon. On the same thought, I shall opt for Bridgstone Turanza which again is a medium compound tire and not a 'basic' tire like Bridgstone S322 or B250.

By th way, I shall surely post my experience with the new GYs as soon as I am in a good situation to judge. Comparing with outgoing Pirellis (P4s), they were about 6 years old and had clocked about 35 K kms with good thread left on them. I replaced them due to their age. They were a little noisy when cold, but after warm up, they were much better.
So, if you ask, then road noise has decreased definitely but please wait for the full review.

Quote:
Wasn't the outgoing 0W-30 a semi-synth (& therefore not too expensive)? Any news on how much the new Idemitsu synthetic will cost?
I always thought it to be fully synthetic but your information could be correct. Now I'm not sure about it. I wanted synthetic oil only (was quoted about 3.6K) and they informed me about the unavailability only after draining out old oil and hence I had to forcefully opt for the mineral oil. I have gotten an additional oil filter from Honda so I will change the oil myself to fully synthetic once I clock a few thousand kms to extract the worth of this current oil.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 18:21   #7789
Senior - BHPian

When taking my car after the last service from HASS, I was told by the SA that there was a faint noise from the idler bearing and that it would have to be replaced sooner or later. Has anyone encountered this issue in their Civic ? My car has done 23k till date and is 6+ years old.
Old 8th October 2016, 18:52   #7790
BHPian

Friends, I'm facing some peculiar and nasty problems with my Civic recently. The car has been in basement parking for last couple of months practically unused since I've been using my office car for daily commute. There was a chronic mould issue given the weather in Mumbai prevailing for last 3-4 months. Treated it with boric powder, weekly rigorous cleaning routine as well as 'neem oil' application. The problem has been under control now for some time. But, has given way for more problems like stained seat covers (pics attached) and consistent foul smell of moisture. I have tried everything from surf to vanish to HASS and Collin but these stains are some real stubborn ones and refuse to part away with the seat covers. The smell also makes it uncomfortable to sit in the car without opening windows. Have kept activated carbon (pic attached) for over 3 weeks now but no use!

In these 2 months what I have made sure is that car is driven at least 2-3kms every weekend to avoid any mechanical failures resulting out of hibernation. Took it to Lonavala for an office offsite this week and the beauty drives like always

Coming back to the chronic problems of those black stains and foul moist smell - can anyone help me with sure shot solution please. The last resort is to change the upholstery and see if that takes away both the problems.

Also, with a heavy heart, I have been contemplating to sell my civic given the little use. Have put it up on tbhp classifieds to see if I can get someone who can take care of the car. Mine is 2007 1.8S MT model. Can anyone give me ball park realisation that I should be expecting? Have changed all 4 tyres (Michelin xm2 205/65/r15) and battery (amaron). Got the steering pump issue also fixed recently. Still drives like it used to always

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475932896.965291.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475932919.161547.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475932934.851934.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475932952.286818.jpg
Old 9th October 2016, 07:32   #7791
Senior - BHPian

So the air-conditioning is acting up again.

After using the AC for long hours, the compressor trips and doesn't turn on. I have to switch off the AC for a while and it starts working normally after a bit.

Last time I faced the same issue and it was diagnosed as being low on gas. It worked fine for a season and I'm back to this.

could it be the AC relay?
Old 9th October 2016, 09:39   #7792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
So the air-conditioning is acting up again.

After using the AC for long hours, the compressor trips and doesn't turn on. I have to switch off the AC for a while and it starts working normally after a bit.

Last time I faced the same issue and it was diagnosed as being low on gas. It worked fine for a season and I'm back to this.

could it be the AC relay?

I had the same problem during long drives a few months back. Was traced back to condenser fan motor gone kaput. This post and related posts might help: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post3945269

Last edited by 1lokesh : 9th October 2016 at 09:46. Reason: Adding link to past posts discussing same issue
Old 10th October 2016, 13:22   #7793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
I had the same problem during long drives a few months back. Was traced back to condenser fan motor gone kaput. This post and related posts might help: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post3945269
I've already got the Condenser fan motor replaced last year. It's working perfectly well. I had faced the issue twice before and the AC guy said it's low on gas. But I think I'm being ripped off every time. I've heard a faulty relay can affect this. Probably it heats up and ceases to work normally.

Any link where I can source the AC relay for the Civic?
Old 10th October 2016, 13:46   #7794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post

Coming back to the chronic problems of those black stains and foul moist smell - can anyone help me with sure shot solution please. The last resort is to change the upholstery and see if that takes away both the problems.

You could always try to Re-Dye the leather.
Try 3M's interior disinfectant treatment and try drying the floor mats in the scorching sun for 3 days or so. I know this might sound crazy, but instead of parking her in a basement parking, park her in an open area where theres plenty of sunshine for a few days. It will most likely get rid of the smell. If you can find pure lemongrass oil, it helps too. Getting the interior detailed completely seems to be a better option than changing the upholstery.
One:1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 10:59   #7795
BANNED

Quote:
I do not think you can get 0W in a semi-synth. I have seed the can at a dealership, and it said Synthetic. So that is what it must be.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 12:24   #7796

Friends,
I need some help on getting my Civic AT repaired. I've recently moved to Gurgaon and have no clue about independent garage here. The issue is with Power steering hose & pump - as per HASS both need to be replaced for ~ 40K INR. Any guidance on a reliable garage who can do it in and around Gurgaon will help.

Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 13:59   #7797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
When taking my car after the last service from HASS, I was told by the SA that there was a faint noise from the idler bearing and that it would have to be replaced sooner or later. Has anyone encountered this issue in their Civic ? My car has done 23k till date and is 6+ years old.
Fellow BHPians - any inputs on the above please ? Thank you.
Old 19th October 2016, 19:27   #7798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fellow BHPians - any inputs on the above please ? Thank you.
If the sound is similar to the one below in the video then i have been living with that sound for last 2 years and around 25k kms atleast. My Hass guy does not say anything about changing it even when i insisted and as per him as long as i don't cross 3k rpms most of the time i need not worry about same. A bad idler pully could lead to possible belt breakage if i am not mistaken. If you concerned you could buy a Civic belt from spareshub.com which retails at about 700 rs i think. This is not original but can be used as a emergency one and be kept in car all the time.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 19th October 2016 at 19:28.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 12:31   #7799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If the sound is similar to the one below in the video then i have been living with that sound for last 2 years and around 25k kms atleast. My Hass guy does not say anything about changing it even when i insisted and as per him as long as i don't cross 3k rpms most of the time i need not worry about same. A bad idler pully could lead to possible belt breakage if i am not mistaken. If you concerned you could buy a Civic belt from spareshub.com which retails at about 700 rs i think. This is not original but can be used as a emergency one and be kept in car all the time.
Thanks Sumeeth. The sound is not as bad as what you have shown above but more a faint noise that can be heard. HASS quoted 8k INR for the idler bearing to be replaced. I intend to take it to an FNG (Ignite) and check with Raghav on what can be done and am sure it would work out much lesser that what HASS has quoted.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 12:37   #7800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sumeeth. The sound is not as bad as what you have shown above but more a faint noise that can be heard. HASS quoted 8k INR for the idler bearing to be replaced. I intend to take it to an FNG (Ignite) and check with Raghav on what can be done and am sure it would work out much lesser that what HASS has quoted.
If it's faint i don't think you need to replace and yes the idle bearing is expensive. However for peace of mind you could get it verified from the garage. I think we should all always take a second opinion if the cost is on the higher side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks