Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th October 2008, 17:40   #1
BHPian

Default Oil Pump Help : Identifying Issues & Preventive Maintenance?

Hello Friends advice needed

I have gypsy 410.

I have just done my first oil change after engine overhaul. Everything is running smooth. However I am hearing a peculiar sound which is suppose is of oil pump which my mech also thinks it is.

Now i do not have any oil presuure problems. However when i start my car in the morning for few seconds till the oil light goes i hear this "Tak-tak-tak" sound as the oil pumps up. Now i can also hear the sound sometimes at idling and also while running the car if listened to carefully.

Since i have recently changed my oil (3days back) and am supposed to go to goa by 27th oct what do you guys suggest. My mech says the oil pump is not a problem and he has advised me to change it next time or maybe after 2-3k kms or so. But what do u guys feel

There is no oil pressure warning as such and i have been sing the car in full load for the past few days with a/c on though the running per day is withing 10kms

Please suggest as i do not want to get stuck on road
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 21:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

An MG410 is a pretty old vehicle.So, you might have oil pump problems.
I'd highly recommend you fit an oil pressure gauge to monitor pressure since an oil pump failure can lead to engine damage without you knowing it.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 10:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

+1 for Nitrous. Immediately install a oil pressure gauge to monitor. Check the oil pressure when the engine reaches optimum operating temperature & look out for any malfunction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
An MG410 is a pretty old vehicle.So, you might have oil pump problems.
I'd highly recommend you fit an oil pressure gauge to monitor pressure since an oil pump failure can lead to engine damage without you knowing it.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 21:15   #4
BHPian

thank you friends will try and do that though no place left on the dash to install one. what should be the temp and when to take the reading. since i have a heavy duty radiator my engine hardly goes over the c mark.
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 14:29   #5
BANNED

Default Oil Pump

For a Diesel Car, how to diagnose if :
  • Oil Pump is on way out or the oil pump chain is likely to snap thus leading to oil starvation in Engine.
  • Oil pump is operating @ 50% capacity and low pressure sensor not showing up on dashboard.
  • How frequently one should go in for periodic replacement of oil pump (like water pump is recommended @ 60000kms) to avoid Engine Seizures.
  • Any one who has replaced the oil pumps after a fixed interval here?

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th August 2013 at 16:20. Reason: Formatting post. Please spell check and put some effort into formatting your post well. Thanks.
YVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 14:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have not come across any car that recommends water pump or oil pump replacement as a part of preventive maintainence till 1L Kms
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote