Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2008, 13:24   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 728
Thanked: 27 Times
Default A/c compressor retrofitment

I have a spare Sanden 507 compressor. Can this be fitted on a Maruti 1000. It shares the same engine with Zen.

Firstly would it be a direct fit or would there be any modifications required ?

Some A/c guy told me it would be possible.

People, all positive & negative points are welcome.

How much would a compressor overhaul requiring oil & bearing change cost ?

Last edited by kavesh55 : 28th October 2008 at 13:28. Reason: forgot
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 15:28   #2
BHPian
 
abhi1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 441
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

It might be possible to fit it with minor or no modifications if the engine is the same. The compressor generally goes into a bracket besides the engine from where it is connected with a fan belt like belt etc and if the engine is the same, I do not see any reason for it to not fit. You can also check the specs of the Zen A/c and if the OEM number is the same, you got yourself an A/c

Last edited by abhi1309 : 28th October 2008 at 15:29.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 18:29   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Hi kavesh55,

> Can this be fitted on a Maruti 1000. It shares the same engine with Zen.

Slightly OT here.

The Maruti 1000, I think, shared its engine with the Gypsy and not the Zen.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 20:14   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,742
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

Yes it is possible to fix the compressor (for that almost any compressor unless its from a Hummer or something ), worst case scenario the brackets would have to be made/moded, but very much doable.

Do you mean the compressor is from zen? If so my guess it should cool better since the volume inside zen (open boot) is more compared to M1000, and hopefully very less power drop.

OR is it the ones used for ambys and all? number sounds very familiar???

Bigger the compressor, faster cooling and more the power drop/strain on engine is my understanding in very simple terms.

Compressor overhaul cost would cost anything between 3 to 10 k depending on the nature of overhaul and from where you get it done, this is one of the reason why people buy new/second hand compressor sometimes instead of overhaul.

Why do you want to do this change in the first place.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th October 2008 at 20:17.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 14:17   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 728
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes it is possible to fix the compressor (for that almost any compressor unless its from a Hummer or something ), worst case scenario the brackets would have to be made/moded, but very much doable.

Do you mean the compressor is from zen? If so my guess it should cool better since the volume inside zen (open boot) is more compared to M1000, and hopefully very less power drop.

OR is it the ones used for ambys and all? number sounds very familiar???

Bigger the compressor, faster cooling and more the power drop/strain on engine is my understanding in very simple terms.

Compressor overhaul cost would cost anything between 3 to 10 k depending on the nature of overhaul and from where you get it done, this is one of the reason why people buy new/second hand compressor sometimes instead of overhaul.

Why do you want to do this change in the first place.

Yes, Jaggu you are right, its from my Premier Padmini it had a sanden 507 compressor with a formula blower unit.
Want to fit it in a M1000.
Overhaul incase it calls for it. Reason being, I used to get 11 -13 kmpl w/o with the Ac. With A/c 7.5-9. Call it Mumbai traffic, or watever, someone suggested that oil and bearing could be the culprit.

You views please.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 00:37   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madurai
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 645 Times
Default

Quite an easy fitment, though you will have to change some tubing. However your car will have pathetic pickup with the compressor on. This was the compressor used on the Contessa and Amby, Armada etc.

Last edited by jyobeb : 30th October 2008 at 00:38.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 13:28   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,742
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

Yup careful coz its a big compressor, engine load will be more. Ideally stick to the OE comp or next big size at max.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 13:38   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

A Sanden will never be a direct fit for any Maruti because Maruti Udyog never used Sanden as OEM compressors.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:25   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 728
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup careful coz its a big compressor, engine load will be more. Ideally stick to the OE comp or next big size at max.
Please forgive my ignorance, but is sanden 507 larger than than the one used on a M1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
A Sanden will never be a direct fit for any Maruti because Maruti Udyog never used Sanden as OEM compressors.
Which one would be ?

Last edited by kavesh55 : 30th October 2008 at 14:25. Reason: shortform
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:50   #10
BHPian
 
amitpunjani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 451
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
A Sanden will never be a direct fit for any Maruti because Maruti Udyog never used Sanden as OEM compressors.

HI

Yes they have mostly using Subros and Delphi. I think for Swift (Petrol) they are using compressor of Vikas. Kindly correct me if i am wrong.


Amit
amitpunjani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 15:01   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,742
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but is sanden 507 larger than than the one used on a M1000.
Yes it is much higher capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
HI

Yes they have mostly using Subros and Delphi. I think for Swift (Petrol) they are using compressor of Vikas. Kindly correct me if i am wrong.


Amit
yes to subros and delphi, dont know about vikas part.

Mounting points and the tubing might recover some adaptation, rest all can remain the same, even if the compressors are different.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 16:53   #12
BHPian
 
Hashim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aligarh
Posts: 443
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: A/c compressor retrofitment

Sorry for digging this really old thread but I found it appropriate to post my query here. 2 years back I got my car (Maruti 1000) AC serviced which included compressor bearing change and gas recharge, it worked fine one season and somehow managed to work previous season too but cooling was very low and at end it gave up. Got it checked and compressor was found busted. It was making harsh noise and there was almost no gas left in unit.

Now I want to change the compressor. This will be a jugaad fit for sure as M1000 has a thin v-belt for compressor. The AC guy quoted about 10,000 rs for fitting new gas compressor along with pulley and mounting. He didn't told me (neither he knew) the model of compressor he will be using, he only told me brand sanden.

Wanted to know if there is any specific model of R134A compressor which would be best for this car? The currently installed (factory fitted) compressor when it was working fine loaded the engine too much and cooling was not satisfactory.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Govt to incentivize the retrofitment of mild hybrid systems in old cars? johannskaria The Indian Car Scene 17 3rd April 2017 10:21
Retrofitment Of Electric ORVM's in WagonR k2max6 Technical Stuff 22 26th June 2013 22:08
Projectors Retrofitment in Tata Safari 2.2 ThE Godfather Modifications & Accessories 41 3rd September 2012 20:22
astra compressor adilshah Technical Stuff 17 4th July 2012 23:45
AC compressor loading engine excessively Pankaj401 Technical Stuff 7 9th July 2006 19:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks