Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th November 2008, 11:32   #16

@eddie

FE was actually not bad during the trip...approx 17 with intermittent AC. Probably the brake pads weren't dragging as such, just calipers rattling too much.

As for the cold start, yes I do it quite often. On an everyday basis I let it warm for say 20-30 secs during first start in the morning. But for the rest of the day I simply start & drive away. How do I undo the damage??

Tyre pressure - I do agree with you. I routinely have to top it up after every service. They tend to under inflate it by quite a few psi(s).
As a habit I check tyre pressure every week/10 days max and maintain 33 within city and 34 on longer drives.
abhishek79b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 12:45   #17
BHPian

Lolz undo here is not possible. I think Mr. Gates didnt ever think of puting undo command in engines. Theres a thread on how to start and stop engines, try to go thru it. Well for immidate effect... full clutch, ignition, release clutch. the rpm initialy would be around 1100-1500 for a mintue or so and then idle at around 800 range. Then u start the car. I know its a tad irritating but trust me the engines gonna love you for that.

cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek79b View Post
@eddie

FE was actually not bad during the trip...approx 17 with intermittent AC. Probably the brake pads weren't dragging as such, just calipers rattling too much.

As for the cold start, yes I do it quite often. On an everyday basis I let it warm for say 20-30 secs during first start in the morning. But for the rest of the day I simply start & drive away. How do I undo the damage??

Tyre pressure - I do agree with you. I routinely have to top it up after every service. They tend to under inflate it by quite a few psi(s).
As a habit I check tyre pressure every week/10 days max and maintain 33 within city and 34 on longer drives.
me_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 15:40   #18

Smile

Quote:
@eddie

Well, I reiterate that I don't see why calipers should start gripping at 100+kph :-)

But the cold starts - AAGGH... - don't do that unless absolutely necessary, dude... like you're being chased by a gang of dacoits and jump in your car, twist the key and floor it - that's a legit reason to drive away immediately after starting the engine...

me_sid has described a good (IMO) start-up sequence for a cold engine. On first start after a short period of engine not running (say it was not used all night) then I wait, letting the engine idle, for about a minute. Usually the oil temp needle budges off the peg by then, unless the outside temp is cool/cold. I then get in low gear and start off gently (unless I have an "emergency") and keep revs low (treat the engine gently) for the first kilometre or so - or the time it takes to get the oil to its normal operating temp - just below half-way on the temp gauge. After that, I can open up if I wish to

If the car hasn't been used for a couple of days, then I let it idle till the temp gauge needle is above the minimum mark (the lowest white mark) before putting the car in gear.

If the engine is still hot/warm (temp gauge needle starts climbing as soon as I switch on the key, before firing up the engine, then I only wait for 10 seconds or so before driving away, to give the oil pump a chance to pump some already-warm oil back up to the parts of the engine from where it's drained since I switched off...

As me_sid says, there is no (easy) undo for damage you may have done by loading a cold engine... Your piston rings could be worn and leaking combusting charge (fuel/air) past them, leading to loss of power... however, you mention an FE of 17 with a little AC - that doesn't really indicate leaking rings, which would probably give you bad FE, so I'm a bit stymied

Adopting the regimen me_sid has outlined, and I've added to above, will minimize any further damage to your cylinders and piston rings.

I think you should get a couple of service advisors to check the car's loss of power - it may be as simple as cleaning clogged fuel injectors or dirty spark plugs/adjusting plug gaps or tuning... so don't go in and ask how much for new piston rings and cylinders because they will hug you and kiss you as a new bakra if your engine doesn't really need those replaced... they could tell you to come back the next day and in the meantime debug the real problem, run a couple of test drives, and give you a superly-performing car back, and lighten your wallet quite a bit... heh heh...

Also check (don't remember if this was covered before, sorry) whether it is fuel quality that is the culprit... if you filled adulterated fuel at some out-of-the-way pump, which you don't normally use, then that could easily be the reason; re-fill your tank at your regular pump and see if that changes the situation...

Cheers, hope your problem's solved soon...
Ed.
eddiedsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 15:11   #19

@eddie

thanks for the tips man...
I am following the start sequence to a T nowadays
But, to tell you the truth...even though I didnt know the downside like crystal...I never used to just key-in & floor all the time. My usual routine every morning is like - turn ignition, re-position the side mirror, arrange my stuff around (cigarette, lighter, wallet etc), buckle up, decide on a track/album and then gently get out from the garage on to the narrow lane...navigate a horid 200m patch of govt. apathy and finally reach civilization (read: tarred road). Naturally its usually at least 25-30 secs before I shift to first gear from ignition & another couple of mins before I actually start driving.
But yeah, whenever I have had chance e.g. coming back from office, I usually started off almost immediately, maybe within 10 secs of ignition. But then again, its a first floor parking lot and you can't just hit it immediately...usually 20kmph. till you get on the road.

What I'm trying to say here is - my morning starts used to be much much saner than the evenings, so do I have a glimmer of hope that I may not have actually damaged it real bad?!?
abhishek79b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 16:16   #20

Smile

Quote:
What I'm trying to say here is - my morning starts used to be much much saner than the evenings, so do I have a glimmer of hope that I may not have actually damaged it real bad?!?
Well, that you've done some damage is quite likely. The fact that you're reporting quite a normal FE implies the damage isn't too bad... Have you tried out the easier ideas, like checking the fuel quality by tanking up at a known good pump? The other stuff needs you to go in to a MASS to check... also, are you certain that they have replaced your spark plugs at the 20K servicing? Ed.
eddiedsouza is offline   Reply With Quote