Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st November 2008, 19:36   #1
BHPian

Default Urgent: Spring in radiator

Hi,

There are few holes in my radiator for water circulation (M800). I found one spring in one of the hole. I pulled out it little and it came out with rust. I pulled little more and it comes out with more rust. It looks that the hole is full of rust and that's why my cooling system is NOT working properly when my AC on and hence cause overheating problem (my guess). See this thread (Overheating when AC on) for more info.

What is this spring? Is it a part of radiator system? Is it needed? What should I do? Should I push it down to the hole again?

Please help.

It's urgent because tomorrow morning we have plans to start our travel.
DarkEraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 13:26   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEraser View Post
Hi,

There are few holes in my radiator for water circulation (M800). I found one spring in one of the hole. I pulled out it little and it came out with rust. I pulled little more and it comes out with more rust. It looks that the hole is full of rust and that's why my cooling system is NOT working properly when my AC on and hence cause overheating problem (my guess). See this thread (Overheating when AC on) for more info.

What is this spring? Is it a part of radiator system? Is it needed? What should I do? Should I push it down to the hole again?

Please help.

It's urgent because tomorrow morning we have plans to start our travel.
the spring is not part of the cooling system but it can be of the thermostat probably rusted and broken off. your best thing to do asap is drain the radiator, and get ONLY the radiator flushing done.

DO NOT do engine flushing as part of the cooling system cleaning ONLY THE RADIATOR. just pass running water thru the engine side hose inlet / drain it from outlet to get any dirt debris rust out. I repeat do not do Engine Flushing.

after flushing add normal 50 50 coolant water preferably the anti rust type coolant.

check for any leaks and always keep some extra hose set ready when you plan your trip.

best would be to replace
all the hoses at this time with new clamps as the hoses also rust within.
change thermostat
carry a stop leak adhesive for the trip

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 2nd November 2008 at 13:27.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 14:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found one spring in one of the hole.
The hole for draining water? Confusing because you say "one of the hole".
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 18:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

Very confusing, where is this hole? on top or bottom? and if possible can you post some pics?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

First time I've heard of any such thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEraser View Post
Hi,

There are few holes in my radiator for water circulation (M800). I found one spring in one of the hole.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote