Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th December 2008, 14:08   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Get a passenger and test your communication skills
Indeed! I had a passenger who got into the front passenger seat and immediately adjusted the left ORVM so that HE could get a rear-view!

My communication with him was mostly one-sided and not fit to be posted on a public forum!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 14:13   #77
BHPian

Good question. I mostly use the left ORVM for parking. For lane changes and overtaking I prefer to turn around and see. Usually my wife does the adjustment, I can barely reach the adjustment knob without getting up from my seat.

In Hyderabad most of the drivers have their left ORVM shut. Infact there are lot of cars with even the right ORVM also shut. Then there are a few with the ORVMs at an angle where they can only view themselves.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 16:42   #78
BANNED

Default white smoke problem in ohc

hi friends today morning i started my ohc .everthing was normal i drove it around 1-2km to my friends home at 30-40 kmph . there i have to reverse my car there was a slope so i have to accelerate more in reverse gear .i was surprised when i saw a lot of white smoke coming out. than i put it in first gear and accelerated there was no smoke. i have even checked it on cold start but there was no smoke. what could be the problem. is this normal for a petrol car to produce smoke in extreme condition.
harry2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 16:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

smoke is not normal. check whether it is water vapour on cold mornings or smoke itself. ask some one to drive and you observe the smoke. because if you move forward, you may not be able to see your own car's exhaust. in reverse you are moving into the smoke and becomes visible (smelly too).
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 16:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

A lot of white smoke coming out of where? Tailpipe? Under the bonnet? More details please.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 17:02   #81
BHPian

I'm not an expert in the topic, by on my yezdi Roading when I had white smoke coming from the exaust, I was told the oil seal inside the engine was broken and gear box oil or something of that sort was entering the cumbustion chamber and getting burnt hence the white smoke, the engine had to be completely opened, that's when I realised how few parts a Yezdi had, anyways the seal was put back, the engine block had to go to a lath for the same and things were back to normal.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 17:09   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
A lot of white smoke coming out of where? Tailpipe? Under the bonnet? More details please.
Add to it, how many kilometers your car has run.
White smoke might be because of engine oil, May be worn out Oil seals.
Please check your engine oil
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 17:19   #83
BHPian

I had a same problem with my Honda Vtec . After all test it was found petrol was mixed with diesel. Pls check at your end.
triggercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 17:25   #84
BANNED

its from the exhaust. i have seen only today while reversing . never seen it before and after that. i have tried by giving car to my friend to drive and i saw the exhaust but there was no smoke
Old 12th December 2008, 18:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
its from the exhaust. i have seen only today while reversing . never seen it before and after that. i have tried by giving car to my friend to drive and i saw the exhaust but there was no smoke
Did you notice how the smoke smelled? If it had a sweet almost pleasant smell then it is coolant. Worst case scenario, a head gasket leak, very expensive to fix. This happens when the seal between the water jacket of the motor (for cooling) leaks and water and motor oil mix in the cylinders of the motor and in the cooling system. The coolant gets blown out the tailpipe. Symptoms are white smoke, loss of coolant, watery motor oil, over heating. This can lead to total ruin of the whole engine, crank shaft etc, if not attended to right away. Another test you can do for this is to simply take your finger and see if there is any coolant around the tip of your exhaust pipe. Do this with the engine cold and off or just started (do not burn yourself). You will recognize the sweet smell immediately.

But, if it is not coolant coming out of your tailpipe then you have less expensive problems. Do not dither and dally, get a qualified man to look at it right away.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:41   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
after how many kms of driving did you notice this?
since winters are here every petrol vehicle emits water vapours.

simple test will be when you notice that smoke keep your hand near the exhaust,if it gets wet no needto worry they are vapours.
if not get it checked
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:57   #87
BANNED

i will watch it tommorow morning on cold start. there is no deposit on exhaust tip.

can this happen that the water droplets at the exhaust tip may have entered the pipe while the car was on slope and it resulted in smoke the smoke was similar to that similar to m800 which i get when the car is cold

Last edited by harry2223 : 12th December 2008 at 18:59.
Old 12th December 2008, 21:20   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have a passenger, whatever the relationship, who can make those adjustments, that's great --- there are lots of things that my wife, who is my usual passenger, can do well, but not this one!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 11:55   #89
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed! I had a passenger who got into the front passenger seat and immediately adjusted the left ORVM so that HE could get a rear-view!
A new driving style different from back seat driving > Mirror Image Driving
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 12:11   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

In my gyspy i had put over size mirrors & with a marker i had made dots on the edge of the mirror and on the framework. So every time i needed to lean across to adjust the mirror, i would just align the dots cause otherwise i would need to lean in and out 4-5 times to get the desirable position.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote