Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 18:03   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,895
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default Brake Noise Gone

Guys,

Took the car to DSKT this morning for the brake noise problem that I was experiencing.

They replaced only the front brake pads and the noise is gone. Was watching the technicians work on my car. As expected it has nothing to do with the suspension. The entire brake assembly plus the ABS and EBD system is made by Bosch.

Couldnt identify the maker of the gas filled mcpherson struts.

Also had the engine oil and filter replaced as I always do after the running in.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 18:14   #62
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I fail to see why these new cars have iffy brakes that don't last and sadly also develop issues, this is not the first Toyota I see with this issue, I see some Laura, Accent, Scorpio with issues under 20,000Km. If the pads on my ancient 10 year old Gurkha are still running at 117000km, why shouldn't these so called latest tech vehicles last at least till 50,000km minimum.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 18:25   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
If the pads on my ancient 10 year old Gurkha are still running at 117000km, why shouldn't these so called latest tech vehicles last at least till 50,000km minimum.
Maybe to do with the fact that Asbestos is not being used anymore.
All the old cars had asbestos based brake pads.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 18:27   #64
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Maybe to do with the fact that Asbestos is not being used anymore.
All the old cars had asbestos based brake pads.
You have got a point there, however if carbon fiber is being used, it should outlast asbestos based pads handsomely. I guess its just cost cutting poor design and of course, good business to make poor customer replace pads at 20,000km, makes good revenue.

Last edited by Gurkha : 31st January 2009 at 18:43.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 18:35   #65
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,378 Times
Default

You have to also remember that these car's are capable of much higher speeds than a gurkha and will eat up pads more. Also these car's have brake boosters which I'm not sure the Gurkha has.

The reason was replacement was not premature wear but some particle in the pads causing the screech.

Carbon fiber would be way too expensive for pads.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 18:38   #66
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
You have to also remember that these car's are capable of much higher speeds than a gurkha and will eat up pads more. Also these car's have brake boosters which I'm not sure the Gurkha has.

The reason was replacement was not premature wear but some particle in the pads causing the screech.

Carbon fiber would be way too expensive for pads.

The Gurkha does 140kmph on a body far more heavier than the Altis so the physics are actually worse for the pads of the Gurkha and to my knowledge, I am yet to see any disc brake system on a 4 wheeler sans booster. The Gurkha comes with a booster since 87.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 18:47   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,895
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
I fail to see why these new cars have iffy brakes that don't last and sadly also develop issues, this is not the first Toyota I see with this issue, I see some Laura, Accent, Scorpio with issues under 20,000Km. If the pads on my ancient 10 year old Gurkha are still running at 117000km, why shouldn't these so called latest tech vehicles last at least till 50,000km minimum.
The brake pad replacement was due to a defective design or choice of materials. Nothing to do with wear & tear or effectiveness. It was only the noise that was irritating. My old Corolla (9G) didnt have a single prob with the brakes.

Rgds,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 18:54   #68
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,378 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
The Gurkha does 140kmph on a body far more heavier than the Altis so the physics are actually worse for the pads of the Gurkha and to my knowledge, I am yet to see any disc brake system on a 4 wheeler sans booster. The Gurkha comes with a booster since 87.
The M800 has discs up front with no boosters.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 19:00   #69
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The M800 has discs up front with no boosters.
I stand corrected but then M800 is a small hatch, to put put disc brakes on a vehicle of Gurkha's size would be a totally ineffective.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 19:01   #70
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The brake pad replacement was due to a defective design or choice of materials. Nothing to do with wear & tear or effectiveness. It was only the noise that was irritating. My old Corolla (9G) didnt have a single prob with the brakes.

Rgds,
Rhandle who is a forum member here would differ with you, his Corolla although generally trouble free has given him plenty of woes on regular basis regarding frequent and costly brake pad replacements. The Scorpio in my family has been the same story, first brake pads replaced at 22,000km and now by 48 its needing another one.

Last edited by Gurkha : 31st January 2009 at 19:03.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 19:19   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

I also had a screechy brake pad on my Corolla AT at around 18K, and got them replaced. The noise started low at 15-16K. Thankfully, the replacement has now run for 18K without a hint of a noise. Cost me Rs. 5600 for all brake pads.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 20:19   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,895
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Rhandle who is a forum member here would differ with you, his Corolla although generally trouble free has given him plenty of woes on regular basis regarding frequent and costly brake pad replacements. The Scorpio in my family has been the same story, first brake pads replaced at 22,000km and now by 48 its needing another one.
Gurkha, I cannot really comment on why his Corolla has given problems. There are too many variables that could have caused it. I am speaking about my experience not just in the Corolla but other cars such as the OHC as well. In fact technicians at the dealers have remarked on how well my brake pads have stood the test of time.

IMHO, I'd trade in a some amount of brake pad life for better braking. I do not compromise on tyres and brakes. It can save lives.

Rgds,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 21:34   #73
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Gurkha, I cannot really comment on why his Corolla has given problems. There are too many variables that could have caused it. I am speaking about my experience not just in the Corolla but other cars such as the OHC as well. In fact technicians at the dealers have remarked on how well my brake pads have stood the test of time.

IMHO, I'd trade in a some amount of brake pad life for better braking. I do not compromise on tyres and brakes. It can save lives.

Rgds,
So would I, never faced this premature issue in my Accord V6 though even though it has been raced quite a few times, I do have carbon fiber pads from Mugen though.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 22:23   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,895
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
So would I, never faced this premature issue in my Accord V6 though even though it has been raced quite a few times, I do have carbon fiber pads from Mugen though.
This is interesting. Any idea if I can get CF pads for the Altis? Hope you dont mind me asking...what did they cost you? Did you replace the rotors as well?

Rgds,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 22:33   #75
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This is interesting. Any idea if I can get CF pads for the Altis? Hope you dont mind me asking...what did they cost you? Did you replace the rotors as well?

Rgds,

Yes I put cross drilled rotors but the callipers were left stock Nissin. You can get carbon fiber Corolla Altis pad from any of the mail orders doing TRD parts. Bear in mind, Carbon fiber needs getting used to in traffic, they heat late and loose heat quick, response times initially will scare the hell out of you, they don't do anything at first and then they grip and when they do, its almost instant lock ups.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake fluid/Parking Brake Indicator light- Is this a problem? santosh.s Technical Stuff 10 7th June 2017 14:02
Toyota Corolla Altis Weird Problem geeash Technical Stuff 6 26th March 2016 20:44
Corolla Altis : Brake Pads need replacement frequently geetaj Technical Stuff 29 1st July 2015 09:54
Brake Noise Problem with Verna SX ABS varma Technical Stuff 1 13th March 2009 15:22
All new Corolla coming soon EDIT: Corolla Altis now Launched extreme_torque The Indian Car Scene 295 19th September 2008 23:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks