Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th November 2008, 15:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Brake noise problem with new Corolla Altis.

Only few days (350 kms) in my new Altis and I notice that there is a very sharp screeching noise at low speed while breaking. The noise was like the one which comes from old rubbed of brake pads.

I inquired with the workshop and on first visit the noise didn't came, with two service men in my car I looked like an over conscious customer and told me that sometime it comes due to dust particles or some stone sticking in between. Then again in evening the noise was there and was very prominent. I though may be due to coldness in evenings the noise starts coming. Then it started in day time also so I went straight to the workshop. Then again with two people the noise was not there, so i asked for one person to get down and it helped and the noise was there.

The service incharge told that it is due to rusted brake pads. He told that as the cars rest in stock yard the pads get rusted and therefore while breaking it makes sound. He told that it will go away by itself. But I insisted that I wanted a checkup and that it is very embarrassing to have such noise in a new car. Then they asked me to leave the car there in morning and they will do the cleanup or break pads and disks.

Next day they did everything nicely and the problem is not there anymore. I saw that another person on a different forum had the same problem so thought maybe this would be of help of others.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:18   #2
BHPian

I guess this is the Debut of Altis in technical section. But has nothing to with vehicle itself.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
The service incharge told that it is due to rusted brake pads. He told that as the cars rest in stock yard the pads get rusted and therefore while breaking it makes sound.
I don't believe the fact that brake pads on a brand new car can rust in the stock yard! Its a cock and bull story given by the service guys IMO.
However, all's well as long as it got solved.

However, do let us know if it reoccurs after another 300-400 kms, which, for some strange reason, i think will happen. Don't ask why!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Dust/water create havoc on some brake pads...especially if they are high performance ones.

I had LOUD screeching sounds coming from the front brake pads of my BMW. It kept getting worse during the monsoons and even after, so much so that it was audible with the windows rolled up! Sent the car to the service station, a simple clean up solved the problem.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

As Tejas rightly said a newly released car's brake pads getting rusted is almost 99.9% bull****. Most likely there might have been some small stones stuck within the brake pads. That can cause the screeching sound.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:55   #6
BHPian

I do a break pads cleaning and liners check every 5000kms for my Swift.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 16:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I don't believe the fact that brake pads on a brand new car can rust in the stock yard! Its a cock and bull story given by the service guys IMO.
However, all's well as long as it got solved.

However, do let us know if it reoccurs after another 300-400 kms, which, for some strange reason, i think will happen. Don't ask why!
Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
As Tejas rightly said a newly released car's brake pads getting rusted is almost 99.9% bull****. Most likely there might have been some small stones stuck within the brake pads. That can cause the screeching sound.
have you guys tried washing your car and then parking the car for one hour? Not even a pressure wash just the regular bucket wash.

After the wash come back after one hour and take a close look at the brake rotors. Every single rotor will be covered with a layer of rust just because of a few drops of water.

Moreover in monsoon when the moisture content is high teh rotors catch rust just parked overnight.

It is very very much possible that the rotors get rusted on a brand new car. The service advisor is not wrong. The rust goes away after applying the brakes a few times.

There could be a small particle in the pads causing the sound. Another possibility is the clip which secures the brake pad. It's a small metal clip which may be coming in contact with the rotor when brakes applied. Easy to identify the problem. When you remove the wheel observe the area around the pads and find the clip. If the clip is nice and shiny it indicates contact with rotor which is the problem. If the clip is black with brake dust then your good to go.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 17:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
have you guys tried washing your car and then parking the car for one hour? Not even a pressure wash just the regular bucket wash.

After the wash come back after one hour and take a close look at the brake rotors. Every single rotor will be covered with a layer of rust just because of a few drops of water.

Moreover in monsoon when the moisture content is high teh rotors catch rust just parked overnight.

It is very very much possible that the rotors get rusted on a brand new car. The service advisor is not wrong. The rust goes away after applying the brakes a few times.

There could be a small particle in the pads causing the sound. Another possibility is the clip which secures the brake pad. It's a small metal clip which may be coming in contact with the rotor when brakes applied. Easy to identify the problem. When you remove the wheel observe the area around the pads and find the clip. If the clip is nice and shiny it indicates contact with rotor which is the problem. If the clip is black with brake dust then your good to go.
I faced the same situation in my new Palio 1.6 Stile. Initially felt somethin wrong with the brakes..but later found out that after every wash this noise appears for once or twice while breakin and then disappears on its own after a km drive.

So i dont think there is anythin to worry! Chill

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 18:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Dust/water create havoc on some brake pads...especially if they are high performance ones.
Being a team-bhpian I didn't took their words for granted and cross questioned them every time. They also tried to convince me that it is made of hi performance steel which gets rusted fast, now I know they were correct.

The best part was their attitude towards handling the problem. It was among the first Altis in their workshop.. I made sure that it’s not an experiment for them. It looked obvious that the workshop head tech had gone through good training, he spotted the problem very fast and was spot on. I wanted the problem solved and they did that for me easily.

One more thing. I experienced the punch line of Altis "Designed to inspire envy" and “Envy or be Envied” so soon in my journey with Altis. How?

A long handmade scratch on the left side body... right from side of bonnet through both doors and till the back. Someone got too envied and gave the first marks to my car. Earlier I thought it was someone from the Gym, but my car cleaner told it was there in the morning so got it from last night, we had gone to a nice restro Bar. I was so angry; if I had known the person I would have given scratches on his body or may be scratched his life. But thankfully the line was not deep enough to peel off all the paint. Only for about 6 inches the paint got scratched otherwise it was on upper layer.

The Toyota team offered rubbing polish both side and did the job nicely. Only the real paint scratch is slightly visible now rest all gone with rubbing and along with that gave me moral support. When I told them that I will scratch his body if I knew, the incharge said in joke "sir only let us know who that person is and we will take the service van and will do good service of him'. Also they saw some charcoal marks in front of the car which had come from a road construction site and told that they will remove them with diesel and did also nicely.

Also offered a car body wash, which I denied as I will soon go for 1000 Kms service.

So very much satisfied.
Old 5th November 2008, 19:35   #10
BHPian

it could be a small piece of tar or a small stone stuck in .Try stomping the brakes hard , or try to remove it with a twig or something. Get ur brakes cleaned if it still dosnt work
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 20:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thats really bad about the scratch, I hope it wasnt "him" trying to take the cycle in and out of the house. Check if its at cycles handle height (this is only so that "he" can be carefull next time) Otherwise I am glad Toyota *** helped you out with the rubbing and polishing.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 22:26   #12
BHPian

Disc Brakes in cars lying in the Yard get a thin layer of rust very fast don't know the reason ,seen the same thing in older generation corolla too, but the Toyota Guys as usual do their job very well and clean it up just before the delivery ,unlike normal car dealerships at Toyota's it's more of a personal commitment from the team to keep every car Toyota on the road and without any fuss.

Last edited by muneemmk : 5th November 2008 at 22:34.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

The noise has again started, what to do now?
Old 7th November 2008, 13:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

The pad itself never ever rusts as it is not made of metal. The backing piece is made of metal and that can rust. Even the backing piece has a layer of protective paint on it. So for it to rust must mean that the paint is not done properly for what ever reason.

Since the noise has started again and I'm sure the vehicle is still under warranty. Ask them to replace all the brake pads free of cost. I suspect a manufacturing defect in the pad or as Vidyuth has mentioned in the clip which hold the pads.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
The noise has again started, what to do now?
Ha ha ha!!! Sorry to laugh, but i stand corrected! By prediction was true.

Check the discs.

And as vikram said, get the pads and discs changed.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote