Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th November 2008, 13:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Variable Fuel Quality & Performance

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this matter. Mods, please move this to the correct forum.

I've all along been filling fuel in my cars from the same HP pump on the Aurobindo Marg, next to IOC Bldng, New Delhi for the last several years, be it petrol or diesel. Never had any issues whatsoever. Coming to the speciifc issue that relates to my Scorpio, in the last tankfull I filled normal diesel (use only normal diesel for both my trucks) from a BP pump in Gurgaon. The pick-up suffered and vehicle felt heavy. The sound of the engine too became a bit coarse.

This worried me and I waited for the tank to get empty. However, my FE values didn't change. Now, yesterday I filled normal Diesel from my HP pump. The change was remarkable. Vehicle felt light, sound smoother, pick-up back to normal.

Can this be explained? Anybody out here with a similar experience?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 13:45   #2
BHPian

Diesel can be adulterated or sometime octance valuse change wrt to place of the pump. This is more seen on highway pumps or pumps in villages
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

Most likely that diesel is adulterated as you've suspected. Kerosene (20-30%) or in some adulteration cases, mixing with spent industrial lubricants, are one of two scenarios that is probably applicable to that diesel you filled.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Most likely that diesel is adulterated as you've suspected. Kerosene (20-30%) or in some adulteration cases, mixing with spent industrial lubricants, are one of two scenarios that is probably applicable to that diesel you filled.
Adulterated fuel seems to be culprit, you may want to ask for purity test on you next visit to the BP pump.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Would FE values not change with adulterated fuel ?
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 19:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

If the fuel was adulterated, as you all suggest or opine, then the FE should have suffered. It didn't. Secondly, this pump is not on the highway but opposite Powergrid in Sector 42; a big pump with around 10 filling units and the departmental store etc.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 19:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

I remember I too felt samething when I filled Normal Petrol to my Innova in BP Bunk first time after I used to fill IOC, HP. but in same Pump If I fill Speed BP Petrol its same as normal IOC, HP. I didn't notice any change in FE but vehicle was feeling heavy and less pickup and engine was lazzy.

What I understood in few bunks normal Fuel come with less octane or cheap quality fuel.

I did lot of R and D on fuel, I too realized only few Bunks provide best quality fuel.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 19:36   #8
BHPian

i feel adulteration in diesel is more nowadays, i had a similiar kinda a experience few days ago when i topped up my swift in the highway due to congestion in the town bunk where i regularly fill.
felt a slight drop in pick up( might be psychological feeling ) but my swifty was emitting smoke quite a bit more , vehicle has completed its 3rd service jus couple a days ago i feel my swifty is consuming ill quality of fuel.i ll wait for the next top up and post comments
nithz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:01   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Purity of fuel is most crucial to the smooth functioning of your engine. As long as you are getting unadulterated petrol / diesel, there simply isn't a need for any of the so called premium fuels. In fact, most manufacturers strictly prohibit using premium diesel in their cars.

I prefer IOC amongst the fuel brands. Best is to find an honest pump in your locality (preferably company owned-company operated) and fill up only from that one pump.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:18   #10
BHPian

I get good average when I use Shell Super Unleaded in my Swift Petrol. Infact I was always using premium fuels from day one.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote