Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th November 2008, 12:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Location of petrol filter under the bonnet.

Hi,
A week ago, i found my car (m800 carb) leaking petrol from the fuel filter.It's possible that someone is stealing fuel from me but i am not sure.

I showed it to my mechanic who said the fuel filter was not fitted properly
(a couple of weeks ago i had the same changed while during a tune up).I queried him if it's possible to get a lock or something for the fuel filter.
He suggested i re-line the entire fuel line from the tank to the engine
and re locate the fuel filter under or inside the bonnet.

Now my question is ,such a modification safe for a car?Since the fuel filter (made of plastic) will be located under or inside the bonnet area,will it be safe from the extreme heat of the engine.will there be a chance of fire in case of a leak or something?

Let me know what you think guys before i proceed for such a mod.

thanks in advance.
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 12:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The first jap Maruti 800 (SS80) had it's fuel filter inside the engine bay. It was fixed on the lower right side (as you face the engine from the front) of the firewall. I don't know where the later carb version Maruti 800s had their fuel filters placed.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 12:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't think it should be a problem IMO. There are a lot of other plastic and rubber parts all around the hot engine.
You could line it with an asbestos sheet to be safe from heat.

If it is under the engine (way down), then it shouldn't be a problem in case of a leak.

However, the best would still be not to change the location. Atleast you won't be constantly worried while driving.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 19:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

As Shankar rightly said the Jap Marutis had the fuel filter inside the hood that was held in place with a clip bolted to the firewall. It was a big filter then and many a times I (when used to be on a minimal budget) have pulled the filter from the clip and fixed it upside down to utilise the petrol in it to reach the pump whenever the tank used to go bone dry..

Instead of re-lining the entire fuel line to install the filter under the hood, why don't you ask your mechanic to build a small metal housing to the filter that could be bolted to the underbody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The first jap Maruti 800 (SS80) had it's fuel filter inside the engine bay. It was fixed on the lower right side (as you face the engine from the front) of the firewall. I don't know where the later carb version Maruti 800s had their fuel filters placed.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 01:59   #5
BHPian

Better still, can this not be re-routed to a safe corner in the boot, inside a customized metal box, which is welded to the car body?

The routing will be relatively way shorter than taking it under the hood. Not to forget, safer!
ankitahuja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 20:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hi,sankar the carb 800's air filter is located under the left rear door side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Don't think it should be a problem IMO. There are a lot of other plastic and rubber parts all around the hot engine.
You could line it with an asbestos sheet to be safe from heat.

If it is under the engine (way down), then it shouldn't be a problem in case of a leak.

However, the best would still be not to change the location. Atleast you won't be constantly worried while driving.
Yup Tejas,locating it in the engine bay will have me worrying constantly about accidental fire etc.However i also worry that someone might steal fuel from me at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
As Shankar rightly said the Jap Marutis had the fuel filter inside the hood that was held in place with a clip bolted to the firewall. It was a big filter then and many a times I (when used to be on a minimal budget) have pulled the filter from the clip and fixed it upside down to utilise the petrol in it to reach the pump whenever the tank used to go bone dry..

Instead of re-lining the entire fuel line to install the filter under the hood, why don't you ask your mechanic to build a small metal housing to the filter that could be bolted to the underbody?
Hey that's a good idea,maybe i could ask my mechanic if they could so such a mod for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Better still, can this not be re-routed to a safe corner in the boot, inside a customized metal box, which is welded to the car body?

The routing will be relatively way shorter than taking it under the hood. Not to forget, safer!
Ankit,placing it inside the boot will be inside the car itself ,again risk of fire etc.

Thanks for your suggestion all you guys.
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 08:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.Sumithaldankar - PLEASE READ AND IMPLEMENT. In carburettor equipped cars, it is not adviseable to have the fuel filter inside the engine compartment as during drive the fuel travels through the fuel line and the fuel filter and the additional volume of around 25 cc of the fuel filter reduces the terminal velocity of the fuel flowing through it (the fuel remains in it for more time). This leads to cavitation / vapour lock under extreme conditions when fuel temperature reaches higher than 70 drgrees C inside the carburettor. One way of avoiding cavitation is to route the filter on the delivery side of the mechanical fuel pump. However, your post indicates that there is leakage which occurs due to deterioration of the small flexible connections to the fuel filter. Just change these connections alongwith a brand new purolator make filter. The whole thing should not cost you more than Rs100. If your mechanic is telling you to change all the metallic fuel lines, he is pulling a fast one. In all my years of working with cars, I have never changed the metallic fuel lines of any 800. It is one of the best packaged cars I have worked on and I salute the Japanese for the same. For further details, please PM me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 09:44   #8
BHPian

I would not recommend to move it into the bonnet. It's not safe.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 12:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Mr.Sumithaldankar - PLEASE READ AND IMPLEMENT. In carburettor equipped cars, it is not adviseable to have the fuel filter inside the engine compartment as during drive the fuel travels through the fuel line and the fuel filter and the additional volume of around 25 cc of the fuel filter reduces the terminal velocity of the fuel flowing through it (the fuel remains in it for more time). This leads to cavitation / vapour lock under extreme conditions when fuel temperature reaches higher than 70 drgrees C inside the carburettor. One way of avoiding cavitation is to route the filter on the delivery side of the mechanical fuel pump. However, your post indicates that there is leakage which occurs due to deterioration of the small flexible connections to the fuel filter. Just change these connections alongwith a brand new purolator make filter. The whole thing should not cost you more than Rs100. If your mechanic is telling you to change all the metallic fuel lines, he is pulling a fast one. In all my years of working with cars, I have never changed the metallic fuel lines of any 800. It is one of the best packaged cars I have worked on and I salute the Japanese for the same. For further details, please PM me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Just for reference
Dhabhar @ in my Nissan the Fuel filter is located in the engine bay and its approx 18 inches away from the carb. But I have observed that there is circulation of engine coolant running under the intake manifold. Also the fuel regulator is inside the engine bay towards the front (next to radiator).
This is an Inline Engine.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 14:37   #10
BHPian

I think we all (at least I did ) JUMPED to the conclusion of re-locating the fuel filter, thinking that someone was 'stealing' fuel since sumeethaldankar mentioned that it leaked once.

@ sumeethaldankar - I second what Behram Dhabhar said, get the filter fitted properly and leave it as it is and where it is. It's the best location.

If you still find fuel leaking or suspect fiddling, then think of possible ways to save it from being stolen by maybe getting a metal box welded around the filter, with a lock n key!
ankitahuja is online now   Reply With Quote