Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th November 2008, 16:41   #1
gaurav.28ch

Default Esteem clutter noise

Hi
Just purchased a second hand 2001 Esteem VXI, 65000 kms.
Car is doing fine on good roads but is giving cluttering noise both at front & rear.
I was told by a Maruti Service station person to replace these to remove clutter:
1.Suspension arm, front - Rs. 1265 each.
2.Suspension arm, rear - Rs. 781 each.
3.Struts, front - Rs. 1450 each.
4.Struts, rear - Rs. 1280 each.
5.Ball joint - Rs. 272 each.
Please suggest if anything else should be added in the list.
Also do I need to replace all these parts to remove clutter or can I leave some of these for the time being ?

Thanks
Gaurav Chauhan
Old 11th November 2008, 20:20   #2
BHPian

Yes that should fix it - you might also want to get your steering rack checked too while your at it.
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 20:57   #3
BHPian

My mind got cluttered with all that. I suppose you mean "clatter".
"Clutter" is another word for untidy or disorganised.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 00:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Suspension damaged at just 65k is unlikely.

Its very easy to examine a damaged lower trailing arm. The rubber ball joint on it should be hard and sturdy, a damaged one will wobble even with a push of a finger. Same goes with tierod ends. Check any sign of grease leakage from all these parts.
Also check the driveshaft boot, steering boot, and balance rid rubber bushing.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 00:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
My mind got cluttered with all that. I suppose you mean "clatter".
"Clutter" is another word for untidy or disorganised.
From the diagnosis given to him to change the suspension i guess it's more of the rattle one gets when one has bad front suspension , most probably ball joints, however he bought the car recently, he might as well change the suspension and have a nice tight car to begin with
Old 12th November 2008, 10:18   #6
BHPian

I would suggest that you should go for a new set of suspension. However the clatter is a bit dodgy word for me to understand are u getting the "kat KAt" noise when you are turning the steering then check the driveshaft... and if the usual "dhaak dhaak" when u r hitting potholes then yes the suspension. Why dont just press the car and check just above the wheels and check how it bouncess back. If its a smooth rocking motion then I believe the suspension system is more or less ok.Moreover Esteem is notoriuos for body noise and cheap plastic noise for the dash. A little tightning of the doors, the glass and all would overall reduce the noise I think.And sir alec is right , 1st get a local guy to check the things he has suggested.
me_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 14:25   #7
gaurav.28ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
are u getting the "kat KAt" noise when you are turning the steering then check the driveshaft... and if the usual "dhaak dhaak" when u r hitting potholes then yes the suspension.
Noise is coming when hitting potholes or bad roads. Else driving without noise on good roads.
What I would really like to know is whether suspension arms replacement would suffice or struts also have to be replaced ?
Old 12th November 2008, 16:02   #8
BHPian

its the suspension arms then - if your car bottoms out - then its the struts, you might want to change the strut bush kit though - ask your mech/MASS for opinion
Old 12th November 2008, 16:20   #9
BHPian

I am facing the similar problem in my Esteem, I used to thing it had something to do with Shock absorbers, however now I realise its more due to suspension.

I got something changed 10 months back, at that time my knowledge was very limited (it still is limited), and mechanic asked me to get 'Chimta', I got the front two (Talbros make) also I got the ball joints changed. I guess Chimta is Arms ?

But the ride gets too uncomfortable on potholes and bad roads. Do you think that Arms can go bad in 10k only ? or maybe I should get struts changed as well ?
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 16:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Do you think that Arms can go bad in 10k only ?
A relatively brand new lower arm (done around 5k) ended up with a shattered bush leading to a shredded tyre when i went over a pothole , so I guess maruti doesn't make spares as good as they used to these days, or probably I got stuck with a badly QC'd peice.
Old 24th November 2008, 11:45   #11
gaurav.28ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.28ch View Post
Hi
Just purchased a second hand 2001 Esteem VXI, 65000 kms.
Car is doing fine on good roads but is giving cluttering noise both at front & rear.
I was told by a Maruti Service station person to replace these to remove clutter:
1.Suspension arm, front - Rs. 1265 each.
2.Suspension arm, rear - Rs. 781 each.
3.Struts, front - Rs. 1450 each.
4.Struts, rear - Rs. 1280 each.
5.Ball joint - Rs. 272 each.
Please suggest if anything else should be added in the list.
Also do I need to replace all these parts to remove clutter or can I leave some of these for the time being ?

Thanks
Gaurav Chauhan

Yesterday I went to AAA vehicleleads Maruti service station ,Delhi for suspension overhauling of my Esteem. I feared major suspension changes like struts,suspension arms replacements, but pleasantly found out that all suspension arms were fine and only front RHS strut had to be replaced as its compressor oil was leaking.
Alongwith that I had to replace ball joints(tie rod), stabilizer bars,calliper pins only. I also replaced my silencer which was leaking along its whole length and was giving a loud roaring sound. Earlier my car was suffering from clattering on bad roads, but now drive has become real smooth without all that disturbing clatter.
I must say thanks to Team-BHP as I was really a novice and in deep seas before joining this forum. I could do all this with confidence only because of technical knowledge gained from this forum.

Here are the details of repairs done:

Spare parts
Part Qty cost Total cost
1 COTTER PIN 4 0.20 0.80
2 SILENCER PIPE,EXHAUST CENTRE 1 2137 2137
3 STRUT,FRONT RHS 1 1288.80 1288.80
4 MOUNT STABILIZER BAR 2 3.13 6.26
5 JOINT COMP STABILIZER BAR 2 91.96 183.92
6 CUSHION,STABILIZER LINK 4 1.79 7.16
7 END,STEERING TIE ROD 2 194.42 388.84
8 TIE ROD COMP,PWR STEEING 2 242.44 484.88
9 SET-PIN 4 82.58 330.32
----------------------------------------------------------------------- TOTAL 4836
+ 604(VAT @ 12.5%) = 5441
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Labour charges:

1 STEERING TIE ROD 480
2 FRONT STRUT 216
3 FRONT STABILIZER BAR 120
4 STABILIZER BALL JOINT 120
5 CAPL CYL SLIDEBSH OR DUST B.SID R&R 384
6 SILENCER 96
TOTAL 1416
+ 170(SERVICE TAX @ 12%) = 1591

NET BILL AMOUNT = Rs. 7033
Old 20th November 2009, 03:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Question

I also have an irritating problem with my rear suspension on Esteem.
Everytime, the suspension is being used, a "metal to metal" rubbing sound is heard from
rear right suspension. I took the car to Autoteam and

the first time, they cleaned it, and the sound was gone. After another week or so, the sound again appeared. This time, I waited for the next service to get this sorted, during which they added a kind of rubber cushioning near the place where the coil suspension is attached to the chasis of the car ( or the lower bar that connects to wheel ).
The problem did not happen for many days. But, when the rainy season came back again in Kerala, the sound recurred. Any idea what it could be. Right now, I am just living with this sound. With ACs on, we won't hear the sound much. But, the people who are outside will feel this sound irritating especially while parking on uneven surfaces. :(
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote