Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th November 2008, 19:26   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Formula 1 or not all forms of vehicles run on the same principles. Radiators need air flowing on them.
A very crucial difference between the cooling system of an F1 car versus our cars : The former does NOT have a radiator fan. Hence, at idling / slow speeds, they overheat.

Quote:
besides not having clean, fresh, cold air flowing to your radiators could only cause engine trouble.
No ways, Mac. It's not like driving in a convoy is going to leave your car gasping for air.....I'd presume most cars have *atleast* 2 feet of space from the one in front. That's more than all the fresh air that they need. Cooling systems of modern cars hardly work overtime anyways....even in Mumbai bumper-to-bumper traffic on a blisteringly hot summer day, the OHC / Indigo / C220 have their needles stuck at optimum temperature.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 19:41   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Okay i got one more
Does standing besides a truck during signals cause lung cancer?
Well if it's done daily and systematically then yes..
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 22:30   #33
BHPian

Yes, this must be true!

I finally understand why the maniac call center drivers seem to be driving like impatient imbeciles in a rush to drop off passengers so that they can get their end of the shift daaru sooner.

Poor guys are just trying to prevent engine trouble, and get cool air into their engines, thereby reducing fuel consumption and trying their best to keep our environment green.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 22:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Yes, this must be true!

I finally understand why the maniac call center drivers seem to be driving like impatient imbeciles in a rush to drop off passengers so that they can get their end of the shift daaru sooner.

Poor guys are just trying to prevent engine trouble, and get cool air into their engines, thereby reducing fuel consumption and trying their best to keep our environment green.
And taking shortcuts against one-ways and no entry signs is another way of going green. But what about honking! Oh! Thatís music for them to keep their heads cool.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 09:36   #35
Team-BHP Support

This thread is still active?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 09:49   #36
Team-BHP Support

And why not? Yesterday I was very wary of driving behind any other vehicle. This is despite the fact that thermostat may not even allow the fan to start before I reach the office, it is that close.

But in hindsight, I feel it should be safe enough to drive in a convoy until the engine reaches optimal temperature. Even the fan doesn't kick in until that point to ensure quick heating of the engine. Therefore driving in convoy during that initial period must be safe. Beyond that point, I am not technical enough to comment. May be a cold air intake for the radiator?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:11   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No ways, Mac. It's not like driving in a convoy is going to leave your car gasping for air.....I'd presume most cars have *atleast* 2 feet of space from the one in front. That's more than all the fresh air that they need. Cooling systems of modern cars hardly work overtime anyways....even in Mumbai bumper-to-bumper traffic on a blisteringly hot summer day, the OHC / Indigo / C220 have their needles stuck at optimum temperature.
Rush, kindly do this road test for me. Ask mad monkey to drive his RS in front of you, follow him closely behind (whatever gap you feel is necessary to be within safe limits) with your C from Bombay to Pune and try to maintain high speeds for around 2hrs. Please do let me know if your temperature needle rises up or not. I have done this, hence my observation.

@Rest: You guys are free to do the same too. Anyways, I am done arguing here.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 19th November 2008 at 10:12.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Driving in a convoy does NOT cause any harm to the engine of any modern vehicle.

MCL, what you say may be true in vehicles of the yesteryears, but I'm not sure whether the baleno belongs to that league.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Oh I know the solution to this problem, if it exists!!

Hang a water bag in front of the car, the kinds that you see in front of trucks! The air hitting the bag will cause water to evaporate from the surface of the bag, thus cooling the air around it, and providing cold air to your engine!! i think the bag is made of leather or some treated material so that water can slowly seep to the surface of the bag.

I am brilliant!!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:29   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ask mad monkey to drive his RS in front of you, follow him closely behind (whatever gap you feel is necessary to be within safe limits) with your C from Bombay to Pune and try to maintain high speeds for around 2hrs.
Come on Mac, I'd have to be a nutjob to closely tail a car at high speeds. The minimum gap I'd keep at speeds over 100 kph is a coupla car lengths. Besides, Monkey has had trouble keeping his RS ahead of the C220 on previous occasion

Coming back to the topic, I don't agree with a tight-knit convoy causing damage to the engine. As I posted earlier, even a 2 - 3 feet gap (which is the MINIMUM anyone would maintain) is enough to give your car all the O2 it needs.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:48   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I thought McLaren wasnt old enough to be smoking the exotic stuff?
Look who is talking. You smoked the same thing when you gave away 5 lakhs to some kids for their painting lessons recently?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...You will see that the paper windmill sill still rotate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I thought McLaren wasnt old enough to be smoking the exotic stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
...I finally understand why the maniac call center drivers seem to be driving like impatient imbeciles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This thread is still active?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
...Hang a water bag in front of the car...
I am brilliant!!
This thread should be merged with the Jokes thread!

Look at all these suggestions and idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
...Does standing besides a truck during signals cause lung cancer?
Well if it's done daily and systematically then yes..
Okie; then does the air horns, if heard daily and systematically, cause the hearing problems?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Okie; then does the air horns, if heard daily and systematically, cause the hearing problems?
Of course it does.

PS: I'm just adding to the silliness on this thread.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:07   #44
BANNED

So this explains why truck engines refuse to perform on the mini ghat section between Krishnagiri and Sulagiri on NH7. As long as one truck is stuck behind the other, the driver cannot do anything more than 23 kph. But the moment a truck is able to overtake, the benefit of cool air is apparent and the driver is now able to do 24 kph.
hrag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
That is nothing!! In Bangalore, following a call center cab closely will make you even think like a cab driver! So, following a call center cab results in lowering of your IQ.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote