Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th November 2008, 13:58   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
...so Srini- you must have REALLY abused your truck for there to be a suspension collapse.
I would refrain being presumptuous. It could well be failure of component.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 13:58   #107
BHPian

yes Suman,Its serviced at prerana only and not anywhere.
bglsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 13:58   #108
Senior - BHPian

Its easy to explain the marks on the tyre and the damage to the alloy wheel. It happened because the suspension/steering arm broke and caused the entire tyre to turn inward. This consequently caused the tyre to come off the rim(causing tyre damage) and the rim damage is due to impact on the road.
BUt he needs to answer how the suspension/steering part broke.

As i mentioned earlier they will first try to find fault rather than cause.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:03   #109
BHPian

bgl, you might want to visit the site of the accident and keep some pics of the divider lying 200-300 meters behind from the spot where the vehicle finally stopped.

and do use the call record functionality on your phone if you have such a facility, would help afterwards i am sure, if the works manager is giving excuses, expect a line of them, all different version from one time to other, so saving them all is advisable if possible.
aburagohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:08   #110
Senior - BHPian

TASS had taken the same path that we were all sure of. As mentioned by all the other above, how much brain power does it take for that WM to know that what he is saying will not hold?

Hitting a divider, at that speed and do you end up the way you did?

Anyway, lets see wait and see what else they plan to do.

Srini, do involve TATA and let not the TASS be the only one. It would be better if you can go down and ask them to ramp the vehicle up and take few photos of the bottom, especially the front tyre portion and the area around it (running board and bumper).

EDIT:

And yes, as said by Abu, even a few photos of the spot, taken during day time, with focus on the line and the divider will do good., if possible.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 20th November 2008 at 14:11.
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:10   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglsrini View Post
yes Suman,Its serviced at prerana only and not anywhere.
So they would also be trying to cover up the fact that they did not raise the flag earlier (assuming there was some earlier damage which they should have pointed out doing servicing).
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:16   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

A bit of Sherlok Holmes mentality to be thrown back at WM:

If the car hit the divider it would have "pulled" the link "axially" out and before the bolts broke the "ribs" between the two parts of the arm would have also given way. The way part is constructed the "ribs" take transfer of forces in the axial direction. AND further the bolts would have sheared away in one direction.

As I mentioned earlier the bolts shearing in opposing direction only point out to up and down forces and not axial or front and back (along the length of the car) forces. So unless there was a divider that lay right across the main road there is no way you could have "jumped" over one and caused the damage.

By 2 paisa worth.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 15:41   #113
Senior - BHPian

Just to give a idea what sould have happened if it would have hit the divider in the first place.My 2 cents..(sorry no pics :()

A week or so ago , i was at BU Bhandari Service station in Wakad, where I saw a new 2.2 hosted up and chassis being replaced.

here is what had happened.. The guy had hit the divider on the right. The Front Right wheel was blown and the steel rims bent. So was the impact that the chassis had to be replaced. If you look closely at the suspension its a doublewish bone style wherein the part which holds the suspension is attached to two triangular parts on the chassis.(please pardon my non-technical language) These two triangular piece went out of shape on the chassis after heavy impact. The wheel was exactly 90 degree facing outwards. burst and bent. The insurance was taken (due to accident) to rectify this and chassis alone costs 1grand approx.

Hope this helps
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 15:46   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
J The insurance was taken (due to accident) to rectify this and chassis alone costs 1grand approx.

Hope this helps
I guess you mean 1 lac
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 17:05   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i do know that his safari is 10 months old and has covered 35k kms. i think you have not read my earlier posts, hence the comment.
i have clearly stated the fact that 35,000 kms is not a big deal for the tie rods to break or any suspension parts to give away. i myself own cars which have travelled many kms, both on rough as well as smooth roads, none facing such an issue. and thats the reason i claimed about the poor quality, even if its outsourced. let me ignore even that aspect, but i even said that TATA A.S.S. should have replaced the parts when srini took it to them. why did they leave him on his fate? and again such an issue would not resurface if tata does some quality checks both at their manufacturing plant as well as the level of service at their A.S.S.
Guys guys...

this is one-off incident happened on the Safari.

We have 55 Safari's on the Forum right now, this is the first of its kind whatever has happened.

Lets not conclude anything. A safari by all means is a reliable vehicle.

What can one do if the Strength Of the Material used gave way. There are lot of factors to be considered.

Lets give srini some space before he comes up with the actual reason.

Its happened and its happened, it'll be rectified anyways and under warranty.

Srini has come out safe and its not a major damage to the Safari. And thats important.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 17:13   #116
Senior - BHPian

@ pavan: yes bro, we are done with that!

@ srini: pls do not let them put the entire blame on you buddy and make you take insurance. they may even offer some compensation as "goodwill", pls dont fall for any such tactics. make them repair everything free of cost and also they have to inspect the car thoroughly for more unseen damages. else, consumer court is your way.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 11:48   #117
BHPian

due to my work pressure and the distance from my work(hosur) to peenya iam going slow on it.I have mailed to TATA motors and waiting for their guidance and reply.Mr.Rajesh has said he will get bact to me.
Shall wait for them to reply and proceed.
bglsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 16:55   #118
BHPian

hey srini !!

any reply from the TATA guys???
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 22:05   #119
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I would refrain being presumptuous. It could well be failure of component.
BGL, hope you are able to followup the matter with Tata managers and not wait till the dealer gives you the bill saying that you were responsible.

If I were you, I would have all the sudev's comments and analysis printed out in front of me for a total defense of the facts. As things stand out right now this is a case of oversight and bad servicing at 30K mark and/or a classic component failure case.

Going over a divider at 120 kph and having two driver side tyres on top of the divider and the opposite two on the road will leave you with a bent tie rod and not this. Of course you may also have a blowout and cracks on the sidewall of the tyres but again not a crash like this.

Also did you followup this procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Please ask him to send you pictures or go there & take pictures of this so-called "Impact" on the wheel & tyre. That itself will tell the story.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 12:59   #120
BHPian

Bglsrini,
Sorry to hear about your black beast. Thank god nothing happened to you. Hope you will get raid of all hassles soon.
Good luck
--Ravi
potlaravi is offline   Reply With Quote