Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th November 2008, 07:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Jeep airlock - in fuel system

Hi,
I ran out of diesel a couple of days back and my jeep stopped, as i was quite some distance away from the petrol bunk i manually pumped diesel, i somehow manged to pump the diesel 3 to 4 times and reached home (i did not have money with me at that time to go fill diesel and i have a petrol bunk right next to my house). Next morning i filled the diesel, manually pumped it, loosened 2 bolts on top of the fuel pump waited for all the bubbles to come out and then pumped some more ( I might have lost about 1 litre in this excercise) tightened the nuts on the fuel pump and started the jeep, IT started up in 1 crank, i revved it up a bit and took it out of my apartment, as soon as i got out it stalled (the same way when it ran out of diesel). What did i do wrong in removing the airlock? Do i have a damaged fuel pump ?
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 12:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Update: I just tried to pump the fuel manually and now no amount of pumping is getting diesel into the engine (the pump knob does not harden at all).
Obviously the jeep is also not at all starting now.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

A few reasons:

1. The fuel pump's 'O' ring must've gone bust, thus taking air, hence no pressure build-up.

2. The plunger's seal must've gone bad

3. The plunger piston must've developed a gap resulting in not being to able to create vaccum

Dreading such a scenario, I had got installed an electric fuel pump in both my trucks long time back.. There is a thread to this effect here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...fuel-pump.html (Electric Fuel Pump)

Last edited by gd1418 : 24th November 2008 at 12:10.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 12:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Do you think me running the jeep dry would have caused this ?

So i basically need to check both the fuel pump and the plunger (manual fuel pump)
What did i do wrong to get rid of the air lock ?
Old 24th November 2008, 12:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Normally for diesels the thumb-rule is never to let the tank run dry or scrape the bottom. But somehow I cannot think of this particular problem arising due to running the jeep dry.

If the feul pump has run bone dry then you could expect the guides & rails inside the pump getting damaged. But you say that the plunger built in the diesel filter assembly is malfunctioning. And I'm talking about that only. The fuel pump is nowhere in the picture. The O ring of the fuel filter could've sprung a leak, or the plunger seal.

You can start with tanking up and then opening the nuts of the filter and pour diesel into it. Remove the incoming fuel line from tank to filter and place it down so as to remove any air block in it. Reconnect and plunge. This should work. If not call a mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Do you think me running the jeep dry would have caused this ?

So i basically need to check both the fuel pump and the plunger (manual fuel pump)
What did i do wrong to get rid of the air lock ?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 12:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Prior to the plunger not working, i removed the diesel filter to check if there was to much dirt in it and i threw out all the diesel in the filter box/cylinder. I did not fill back the diesel in it. I started to pump after checking the filter.

I will try out what you said and post in the evening.

My jeeps fuel meter malfunctioned. It was still showing half tank when it went dry. I did not realise, i had done over 600kms after tanking it up. presently I filled in about 25litres out of the 40 litre capacity.
Will connecting an electric fuel pump start up my jeep temporarily so that i can drive it down to a mechanic ?
Old 24th November 2008, 13:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Fuel Delivery System.

To add to what GD1418 posted.

The Fuel Delivery in most JEEPs are
1) Diesel Tank
2) Fuel Line to Filter (Banjo Union)
3) Fuel Filter/Manual Primer Pump
4) Fuel Line to Fuel Injection Pump (FIP) (Banjo Union)
5) FIP to Injectors (Fuel Injector Pipe)
6) Fuel Injector Nozzle to FIP (Return Pipe/Black Rubber Hose)
7) FIP to Diesel Tank (Return Pipe). (Banjo Union)

A common occurence when diesel runs out (dry) is that the dust/rust/sediments in the tank choke No.2 and No.3.

Also Check all the Banjo Unions are tightened properly.

CAUTION
Never Open the Fuel Injector Nozzle or Fuel Injector Pipe. It must be opened by a trained mechanic.

To bleed the fuel line, Unscrew the hand primer and pump it up and down in a rotary motion (cork screw).

Pull the Primer Up and release if it is sucked back, then either No.2/3/4 are clogged with sediments.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for replying so late but i got the problem fixed which was a faulty fuel line.there were cracks in it and it was pulling in air. The tank actually never ran dry. Anyway after replacing the fuel pipe, the jeep is running better than ever.

Thanks for your help and support.
Old 29th January 2015, 14:56   #9
BHPian

Default Re: Jeep airlock - in fuel system

Reviving an old thread as I need some of your suggestions.

I have recently acquired a Ford Fusion 1.4 Tdci from a friend. I have noticed some cracks and some damage to the fuel lines that are below the air filter. Due to this damage, even when the tank is full, there is air lock. The car does not start with a crank even after releasing the air by pressing the rubber ball. It only starts when the car is on a downward slope. Should I go for a change in fuel lines? How much does the whole set cost me?
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 16:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Should I go for a change in fuel lines? How much does the whole set cost me?
Friendly mechanics use the nylon tube which will cost a few 100s for the whole length.

But before that, you need to ascertain where the problem is. Ford pipes are plastic(yet, reliable/robust) and it should cost a few 1000s including all the labor charges for the whole set.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 11:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Friendly mechanics use the nylon tube which will cost a few 100s for the whole length.

But before that, you need to ascertain where the problem is. Ford pipes are plastic(yet, reliable/robust) and it should cost a few 1000s including all the labor charges for the whole set.
I have approached my trusted mechanic with the issue. He says that the whole set in the engine bay has to be changed as he has not seen any connection where the damaged pipe is connected. Any advice here.
Old 30th January 2015, 21:34   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have approached my trusted mechanic with the issue. He says that the whole set in the engine bay has to be changed as he has not seen any connection where the damaged pipe is connected.
Visit Ford once to get the required spares?

Can you tell a bit in more clarity as to what the mechanic is communicating?

EDIT: Congratulations on acquiring the Fusion!

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th January 2015 at 21:42.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have approached my trusted mechanic with the issue. He says that the whole set in the engine bay has to be changed as he has not seen any connection where the damaged pipe is connected
why not connect a temporary diesel line and check and isolate the air leak spot?

In some cars there will be a electric pump in the diesel tank and that has to be checked as well.

Diesel filter(~1200 rupees) can be suspected as well.

Either take it to a reputed garage who has experience in dealing with modern diesels and find the fault, and go to ford and ask for replacement of parts,

OR

Go to ford directly.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Visit Ford once to get the required spares?

Can you tell a bit in more clarity as to what the mechanic is communicating?

EDIT: Congratulations on acquiring the Fusion!
Thanks for the wishes buddy. Just love driving it everywhere. The best part is the chilling A.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
why not connect a temporary diesel line and check and isolate the air leak spot?

In some cars there will be a electric pump in the diesel tank and that has to be checked as well.

Diesel filter(~1200 rupees) can be suspected as well.

Either take it to a reputed garage who has experience in dealing with modern diesels and find the fault, and go to ford and ask for replacement of parts,

OR

Go to ford directly.
Unfortunately, there is no option of connecting a seperate fuel line. All filters and oils were changed as soon as I took possession of the car. That's when I noticed small cracks on the fuel line that is hidden under the air filter.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be taking the car to Ford A.S.S this weekend.
Old 30th March 2015, 09:00   #15
BHPian

I took the car to FORD A.S.S last week. The spare parts have insane prices. A small tri-angular pipe costs 2400.00 R.s.

One of the reasons for air lock is due to damage done to any part of the fuel pipes. Can I arrest the air lock if I replace only that part which has the damage? Do I need to change the whole fuel line set which costs a bomb at Ford?

Need very urgent advice from experts here.