Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th November 2008, 16:52   #16
Team-BHP Support

Behram, I had similar problem with my Jeep tank. The fuel was drained, immediately followed by welding and the diesel was put back. Of course, diesel isn't inflammable like petrol.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 16:55   #17
BHPian

Had this problem in our two Fiat 1100 Delite cars in the 70's, one was ten years old and the other was 8 years old when it happened on separate occasions of course.
In both cases the garage emptied the fuel, removed the tank, washed it out with water and detergent (I remember a full packet of Nirma was used once), and then welded the fault. Both tanks lasted another five odd-years till we sold off the cars. Of course they made sure there was not even a whiff of petrol in the tanks, but it was common practice then, perhaps because most cars were kept far longer than now, and the quality of Fiats was not so great.

You did not need to replace, any garage that sees a lot of work would have told you this.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 17:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
... after removing from the car, draining all fuel and keeping it empty and open for at least a month...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
...I dont think anybody will be stupid enough to weld a tank with fuel in it.
... Good one Vikram. On a serious note, I think he meant that even after removing ALL the petrol one should not attempt welding/etc because the fumes would still be trapped there and could possibly ignite and blow up the tank.

I had talked to few of my mechanic friends and they suggested that minimum 2 days of thorough drying should happen before even trying to show a torch to that tank for welding. (purely from a safety viewpoint).

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
.. In both cases the garage emptied the fuel, removed the tank, washed it out with water and detergent (I remember a full packet of Nirma was used once), and then welded the fault. Both tanks lasted another five odd-years till we sold off the cars. Of course they made sure there was not even a whiff of petrol in the tanks,....
Yes. that's the process that would have been followed and would have meant that I am without a car for 2-3 days (means some 2000+ Rs in taxi expense). Since I intend to keep the car for a long time (and have no intention of selling it yet) I went for a new tank.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 17:12   #19
BHPian

Dear Friend,

Just discuss with the authorised dealer, they will be having some
Seals (sprays) as another team bhpan informed some sorts of
M seals avilable (Automotive) you can check.
And finally if the aobve ios not working you can go for welding.

Thanks
bhojraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 17:23   #20
BHPian

I have has my Fuel tank gas welded after flushing the tank with water and keeping the tank mostly full of water. It didnt blow up.
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 17:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

my personal opinion : replace it new.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 10:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am having similar problem with my zen.
Any idea how much does fuel tank of Zen carb (1997) model costs?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 16:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
You can very easily get it arc welded or tig welded. In case of tig welding the welding is stronger than your base metal. So I dont see the need for a new tank. If you need any help PM me.
Please ensure that there is not even a whiff is fume in the tank before welding. I have seen a cleaned and washed petrol tank exploding during welding.

For emergency Chewing gum could stop petrol leak.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 20:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
I have has my Fuel tank gas welded after flushing the tank with water and keeping the tank mostly full of water. It didnt blow up.
Thats the Correct way - I dont see value in replacing the hefty fuel tank when it can be gas welded and put back to use. Its sheet metal and torch welding would suffice it. I got my gypsy tank cut from the middle and shortened to accomodate AC condenser. No issues.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 20:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have one question here. Once a fuel tank is welded, will it not give way for rust to develop in due course on the inner side of the tank where the welding was done ? While the outer side of the tank can be painted avoid any rust formation, how is the inner side of it taken care ?
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 20:56   #26
BHPian

Absolutely no problem to welded fuel tank make sure get it done from a reputed shop.I have welded my car's tank at least 5 times no problems yet.
Am living in place where roads are not present.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 21:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Sir no offence meant, but I dont think anybody will be stupid enough to weld a tank with fuel in it.
Dude, Don't know much but this thing is going right to my signatures.

You made my time..
GoodDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 21:41   #28
BHPian

Sorry for this OT post, but just have to share this. 25 years ago, coming down Sinhagad Fort in Pune, one of our friend's bike stalled and wouldn't start. It was dark and he lit a match to see if he had any fuel in the tank, before anybody could stop him. Fortunately the match flickered out at strike and he didn't have another in the box. But the speed at which the rest of us ran from the spot, even the slowest amongst us was probably better than what Usain Bolt can manage!

Anyway, on welding a metal petrol tank's leak, it's a great idea with Diwali approaching in these recessionary times - maximum bang for minimum bucks. One may also like to have a Bomb-disposal suit handy though. However, if one is not into pyrotechnics, thorough washing with water and detergent over a day or two, with removal of all trace (including the smell) of petrol and it's a very doable thing. Brazing, is what I've generally found, works best.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 05:15   #29
BHPian

I've welded a lot of tanks; diesel and petrol.
My dad told me a story of a petrol tank that had been lying outside for 10 years; someone tried to weld on it, and it blew up.

I fill a petrol tank completely with water, keeping the leak up to let out the last of the air. then, with 2mm or air allowed to form a bubble under the leak, I braze it. did a half dozen this way.

Big diesel tanks; one was 1,750 liters... in my boat... I arc welded it while it was full of fuel. I could hear it boiling behind the weld [the tank is 5mm plate]. there is no oxygen in the liquid, so it was quite safe, believe it or not.
On the same tank, my buddy welded a leak [he's better than me] while diesel was dribbling through! it was a pinhole leak in the weld of a new tank filled for the first time.

One in my camper in India; 250 liter sheet metal tank.
I filled the upper half of the tank with nitrogen [I had a cylinder lying around] while I brazed a leak near the top of the tank. black smoke did issue forth from the filler neck, but nothing more. I admit, it was a bit spooky; I had the floor up, and I was working inside my truck with the tank between my legs.

I've done the same thing to a smaller diesel tank using carbon dioxide.

think twice, and take the time necessary to make it safe. mainly, NO oxygen.
anjuna mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 06:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have seen Bikes Fuel Tank Leaks closed by using Lead.Don't Know if it will Make sense in 4 Wheeler Tanks.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote