Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th November 2008, 12:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Culprit Identified - Tyre Sanitized

I could identify (hopefully) the culprit who was attacking my RR Tyre and sanitized it yesterday.

The Rear Right (RR) has been bleeding air for the last 4 months now, I keep 32ps on all 4's of the Scorp CRDe, Tubeless. After the last puncture on the RR, the level goes down in 5-6 days, other 3 are stable for 12-15 days, indicating another puncture or bleeding air on the RR.

Yesterday, checked out with the non-regular puncture shop and he said:

1. The RR valve is that of a bike, not a Tubeless one!!!! The one residing has a spring, usually found on Tubed tyres and bikes which jump more and hence need the spring. He showed me one without a spring, screwed it in said that's the one for the TL, charged me Rs.15/- Picture of the old one here:
Culprit Identified - Tyre Sanitized-valve1.jpg
Culprit Identified - Tyre Sanitized-valve2.jpg

I wonder if this is true, why the spring and what's the difference in the TL valve and the spring loaded one.
Thanks in advance for your inputs.

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 30th November 2008 at 12:10. Reason: Changed to culprit, lets use caution while using such terms
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ramky, both the valves look similar and with spring. What's the difference? I couldn't spot any. [mumbling] I think I must pay a visit to my eye-doctor.

Last edited by gd1418 : 30th November 2008 at 13:05.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 13:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

GD, Hold your visit to your Opthalmologist The photos ramkya posted are both of the same valve.

The spring is for the pin that gets pushed down while pumping in air. The pin operates a one way valve to let air in (or out when pushed). The spring is there to hold the one way valve positively closed and to spring it back to closed position once pressure is lifted off the pin. So how does the valve without the spring close itself, without the aid of the spring especially if the air pressure inside the tyre is low to keep it closed? Wouldn't that lead to a faster leak?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 14:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
GD, Hold your visit to your Opthalmologist The photos ramkya posted are both of the same valve.

The spring is for the pin that gets pushed down while pumping in air. The pin operates a one way valve to let air in (or out when pushed). The spring is there to hold the one way valve positively closed and to spring it back to closed position once pressure is lifted off the pin. So how does the valve without the spring close itself, without the aid of the spring especially if the air pressure inside the tyre is low to keep it closed? Wouldn't that lead to a faster leak?
GD, like Sankar said, both the picture are of the same valve. I just saw that the new one does not have the spring, the guy just showed it to me and screwed in.

Shankar's question has me stumped; will now go back and chek to see how it's really different without the spring, will take some photos and upload it so we will know the difference, structure wise.

=Ramky
=======
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 16:01   #5
BHPian

The air leak may be due to the worn out of rubber (a kind of sealing one) at the bottom(red one) of the valve. If there is some damage to this or the other rubber then air will leak even if the spring is there or not. Spring may help only in a case where the bottom rubber is damaged very little, by lifting it up with little bit more force(force from air inside the tyre + force from the the spring).
shivapsreddy is offline   Reply With Quote