Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th November 2015, 08:11   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
I wanted an help from the members, has anyone completely replaced their suspension system? Could you please suggest what alternatives exist to
buy? My friend's Forester will be doing close to 1L very soon (yes! they did nearly 25k in a year already) and I suspect given their usage and rough terrain, suspension replacement is due and they are seeing certain signs.
  • What should I look for (This one has self levelling struts I think)?
  • Best place to buy India/Abroad?
  • Anything I should keep in mind during the repairs?
  • Alternatives to stock suspension ? Although I am a total Subaru shop, I thought I should deviate and take help from esteemed team members to hear about what else works.
Cheers
Forester suspension should be easy to buy online. A good value for money option is KYB. They make OE spec suspensions. Search for it using your VIN and cross reference to current part numbers on the car.

By the way, I have a 1999 Forester with 2.2 Lac on the odo and it's a daily driver
ScarySkulls is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 11:02   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Forester is a "Cult" vehicle. No Forester owner likes to give it up (generally).
Ive seen loyalists in Australia, UK and the US who absolutely swear by this vehicle.
Having driven one of those 2011 top spec AT models on a road trip across different terrain in the UK some years ago and then more recently having driven a Jeep Cherokee Latitude in the US on a long road trip of about 2000 miles, across different types of country and terrain, I will any day plump for the Forester.
If only the blunderbusses at Chevrolet would offer this vehicle and help us to look after it, I would love to own one.
Saying that, the only vehicle which comes close in terms of capability, utility and general aspect, is my Yeti.
Thank you Sir!
I totally agree with you. I am one of those who swears by it
I did a very careful search to figure out who inherits my car since it was spending way too much of time in the Garage. And I was happy to hand it off to my close friend's custody. Yeti is a great vehicle too, there were days I used to think a TDI kind of boxer engine into Forester would be really nice and many many years later Subaru diesel boxer was developed. But now I look forward to refined petrols more than the diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Forester suspension should be easy to buy online. A good value for money option is KYB. They make OE spec suspensions. Search for it using your VIN and cross reference to current part numbers on the car.

By the way, I have a 1999 Forester with 2.2 Lac on the odo and it's a daily driver
Thanks for your response.
I will search for them.

Your Forester is in India? Wow 2.2L is a lot.
I am now having withdrawal symptoms for sure

I really respect and love all you Forester owners!

Quote:
I will search for them.
I am sorry about the back to back post,
looks like I crossed the 30minute limit to edit the post,

I was more specifically seeking what parts would be needed in a typical suspension job (I will check with my friend whats the condition of various parts)

Especially the front suspension chart here :

And rear suspension chart here:

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2015 at 15:00. Reason: Back to back posts merged + duplicate post deleted.
WRXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 16:43   #213
BHPian

Quote:

I wanted an help from the members, has anyone completely replaced their suspension system? Could you please suggest what alternatives exist to
buy? My friend's Forester will be doing close to 1L very soon (yes! they did nearly 25k in a year already) and I suspect given their usage and rough terrain, suspension replacement is due and they are seeing certain signs.
  • What should I look for (This one has self levelling struts I think)?
  • Best place to buy India/Abroad?
  • Anything I should keep in mind during the repairs?
  • Alternatives to stock suspension ? Although I am a total Subaru shop, I thought I should deviate and take help from esteemed team members to hear about what else works.
Cheers
My 2 cents fwiw.

If you are planning to use non self levelling struts at the rear, you would need to buy springs as well as the SLS springs are shorter. Ironman has springs, with 35mm extra lift compared to stock springs, for the forester and are available locally.

Also check the strut mounts and if they need replacement I would suggest STi Gp N mounts. They are more robust and only cost a little more than stock oem units.

As for the front suspension check the anti roll bar bushes, tie rod ends, arm bushes and ball joints. Replace with OEM units where needed. End links if required can be replaced with aftermarket solid links. Look up Primitive Racing, they have a nice one with heim joints.

For the rear, inspect control rods, trailing arm bushes, differential bushes and end links along with the strut mounts. I believe not much would be needed apart from the strut mounts and end links.

I would also be good time to inspect the boots on the steering and CV shafts.
gotzuk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 18:39   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
My 2 cents fwiw.

If you are planning to use non self levelling struts at the rear, you would need to buy springs as well as the SLS springs are shorter. Ironman has springs, with 35mm extra lift compared to stock springs, for the forester and are available locally.
How is the ride and handling with the Ironman springs any experience with these?
Thanks, didn't know these were locally available. Whats a good place?

Quote:
Also check the strut mounts and if they need replacement I would suggest STi Gp N mounts. They are more robust and only cost a little more than stock oem units.
Sure, will get the STi Group N mounts, have been eyeing on them for long

Quote:
As for the front suspension check the anti roll bar bushes, tie rod ends, arm bushes and ball joints. Replace with OEM units where needed. End links if required can be replaced with aftermarket solid links. Look up Primitive Racing, they have a nice one with heim joints.

For the rear, inspect control rods, trailing arm bushes, differential bushes and end links along with the strut mounts. I believe not much would be needed apart from the strut mounts and end links.

I would also be good time to inspect the boots on the steering and CV shafts.

Will do this and come up with a list for sure.

The boots and CV shafts can be examined visually to figure if they need attention right?

I found the below link informative:
https://allwheeldriveauto.com/seattl...ems-explained/
WRXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 13:24   #215
BHPian

Quote:
How is the ride and handling with the Ironman springs any experience with these?
Thanks, didn't know these were locally available. Whats a good place?
I have not used them personally, but Zac at Ironman India runs them in his Forester.

6th Mile Customs & Ironman 44 India
C/o. Zac Maratt & Ruby Trades,
6th Mile Bannerghatta Road,
Bangalore, Karnataka, 560076
India
gotzuk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 21:42   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not used them personally, but Zac at Ironman India runs them in his Forester.

6th Mile Customs & Ironman 44 India
C/o. Zac Maratt & Ruby Trades,
6th Mile Bannerghatta Road,
Bangalore, Karnataka, 560076
India
I think Zac has shifted to Hosur road. I can PM his contact number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Forester version sold in India cane with the self leveling rear shocks. If you go for KYB, you need to change the springs as well. KYB does'nt have a model which replaces the stock SLS struts.

And OEM rear suspensions are 4 times more expensive then the front ones because of this SLS nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Revving up an old thread...

Folks - I'm thinking of buying a scooby for my weekend drives...

@ Guna, WRXXX, IcarusMan - Will PM you for help!

@ IshaanIan - Did you pick one finally?
Sorry I had not seen your post. Please PM me for any info/help

Last edited by Guna : 29th November 2015 at 21:43.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 19:40   #217
BHPian

Default Recent repairs on my Scoobie...

So, the driver's side power window motor gave up the ghost ~ 2 months back. The motor still whirred but the toothed gear that mates with the regulator was freewheeling; a gear inside had most likely perished. Ordered a Dorman front RHS motor from Rockauto soon after but was able to fit it only last month due to a lengthy holdup with Customs. While inspecting the original motor, with door panel out, I took the opportunity to remove and thoroughly clean the window guide pads and the weatherstripping that sits on the door.

Door pad & window guides off:
Forester Owners: Servicing?-doorpadsoff.jpg

guides cleaned:
Forester Owners: Servicing?-windowguides.jpg

Window motor replacement is not as difficult as it sounds if you follow some of the excellent info on Subaru forums such as this. Trouble is the motor is held onto the regulator assembly by 3 screws in a very tight spot. Nothing but a PH3 screw head will get these puppies off - I had to give up and take it to an FNG to get 'em out. While waiting for the new motor to arrive, followed the good advice on the Subaru forums and got 3 10mm bolts and got it cut to the same length - much easier to work with than the screws:
Forester Owners: Servicing?-bolts.jpg

The new motor was fitted at the same FNG. It's a perfect fit and does what it's designed to do; window movement is also considerably faster than the old motor that was getting very sluggish.

Part no. for the Dorman motor for front, driver's side window is 742-804. Here's what it looks like (pic from Dorman website):
Name:  74280452891001.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  47.8 KB

Also got another couple of long-pending repair jobs done today at Milestone Garage, Hennur Rd: Front sway bar end-links replacement and rear drum brake wheel cylinder replacement. Had been hearing some 'clunk' noise when either front wheel went into a pothole. A root-cause diagnosis of perished FSB links turned out to be correct and the noise is gone now. Old and new endlinks side-by-side:
Forester Owners: Servicing?-endlink.jpg

This is a MOOG K750049; part no. same for both sides (front). These have grease nipples for periodic lubrication. Right now, no clue whether this is a feature or a drawback. The OEMs are sealed units.

Also replaced a leaky rear LHS drum brake wheel cylinder. A lot of gunk on the old codger:
Forester Owners: Servicing?-leakycylinder.jpg

Replaced with a CENTRIC 13447007. Saw today that the OEM wheel cylinders are Akebonos, same brand as the ceramic pads I've on the front disks. The Moogs and the Centric cylinder are also from Rockauto.

Did a full brake service done: fully bled the old brake fluid and replaced with Dot 4; thoroughly cleaned all brake surfaces. Was surprised to see that the Akebono ceramics on the front disk had hardly any wear; though one of the rear drums could do with new brake liners soon. Thanks to Jacob and team at Milestone for a top-notch job!

Quote:
Hi All,
Its been a long time since any activity on the thread. I hope you all are enjoying your Foresters and having a good time.
Its been more than an year after giving my forester to my close friend and they have been having a very good time in their coffee estate along with the Jeep They say only other vehicle that reaches certain parts of the estate is the Forester
buy? My friend's Forester will be doing close to 1L very soon (yes! they did nearly 25k in a year already) and I suspect given their usage and rough terrain, suspension replacement is due and they are seeing certain signs.Cheers
Hi WRXXX, Come to think of it, a Forester is a good fit for the coffee estates of Coorg and thereabouts . 25K in a year in a Foz is a lot! That's more than I've managed in 3 years... Heh, my odo is going to hit 1 lakh km in about another 12 kms (I got my used car at 77-78 k-ish on the odo)!

Good luck with your suspension parts hunt. Other members have provided good info. I'd say, if you're getting KYBs, try to confirm also on subaruforester.org; I believe KYBs are quite popular on sf.org. Personally, I won't replace the shocks unless they're really shot; or unless I wanted a 2-inch lift, for instance. Do report back on the thread about the upgrade!

@Gotzuk: Thanks for listing out the various bushings. Would seem to be a good idea to replace these on my Foz...

Quote:
And OEM rear suspensions are 4 times more expensive then the front ones because of this SLS nonsense.
IcarusMan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 21:48   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Forester is a "Cult" vehicle. No Forester owner likes to give it up (generally).
Ive seen loyalists in Australia, UK and the US who absolutely swear by this vehicle.
Saying that, the only vehicle which comes close in terms of capability, utility and general aspect, is my Yeti.
Subaru is on a roll in the US for the last several years (jalopnik.com). Quote:
This summer, Doll told me Subaru started excelling when it stopped acting like a car company. A few years ago, it started crafting ads around kids and dogs and kayaks, rather than cash-back discounts. And it gave its dealers more support and crafted philanthropic programs to pump money into their communities. Subaru became a lifestyle choice, not a car company.
I like this marque for its "honest" underpinnings. The AWD/"4X4" tech (music to my hillbilly roots) help, no doubt. The moment it goes "premium", a la Volvo, I'll chuck it in a flash.

The Yeti, ah, an "aspirational" car, love it... if only I could afford it...

Last edited by IcarusMan : 7th December 2015 at 21:55. Reason: fixing some typos
IcarusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 09:49   #219
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Recent repairs on my Scoobie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post

Window motor replacement is not as difficult as it sounds if you follow some of the excellent info on Subaru forums such as
Good job on the motor replacement.
One of the independent mechanic (supposed to be an expert on Forester with 20 years in Gulf) had spoiled the door alignment while trying to fit a new motor.
How much did the Dorman motor cost?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 11:18   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Good job on the motor replacement.
One of the independent mechanic (supposed to be an expert on Forester with 20 years in Gulf) had spoiled the door alignment while trying to fit a new motor.
How much did the Dorman motor cost?
The Dorman was $60.79 from Rockauto.com.

Is the alignment off at the door hinges? Or is it simply a matter of the door not locking smoothly? If it's the later, the fix is pretty simple: the door "striker" (this is the latch on the body frame that holds the door locked into place) needs to be adjusted. I had this done on the driver's side door earlier this year - took hardly 5 minutes for the mech to adjust it.

In an alternate world, mechs would be required to refer to relevant sections of the Forester Service Manual prior to any job that very likely is specific to the Scoobie . (In the case of window motor replacement however, the practical guides/tips on online forums score over the steps in the FSM that require removal of the regulator assembly too).
Old 13th December 2015, 11:26   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post
Is the alignment off at the door hinges? Or is it simply a matter of the door not locking smoothly?
This was fixed after I insisted. Basically, there is a nut which can be slid in a channel and tightened, which he has messed around with.
Old 31st December 2015, 16:10   #222
BHPian

Has anybody here changed gearbox/differential oils? Manual specifies GL-5 75w90. Is this locally available? Finally getting the engine oil leak (inherited from original owner!) from rear main seal fixed, so I thought it's a good time to swap out the gearbox and rear diff oils.

Time to change the timing belt on my Scoobie as well: hit 1 Lakh kms few weeks back. So, looks like it's a good idea to replace the water pump + thermostat as well, since these sit behind the timing belt. I plan on swapping out the oil pump seal, front crank seal and the 3 camshaft seals with OEM units as well, while in there.

The Gates TCK304 timing belt kit should fit the EJ20. But despite scouring the web, I'm unable to figure out which of the two water pumps listed for the 2.O lt SOHC NA Forester at http://opposedforces.com/parts/fores...llustration_2/ fits the Chevrolet Forester. Two part numbers are listed, for different destination codes: 21111AA007 & 21111AA270.

21111AA007 is a match for the 2.5lt NA Forester sold in the US. Not much (in fact pretty much zilch) info available for the 21111AA270 on the web.

Has anybody replaced the water pump? Any part numbers?

Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 19:45   #223
Senior - BHPian

Of late my Forester feels extremely bumpy. Ride was alright after replacing the rear shocks about 2 years back.
When ever the car goes over sharp bumps/edges, there is a thud sound and sharp vertical movement. Strangely, this seems to be happening with both front and rear wheels.I also feel that there is bit of sideways swaying (while going over rough patches)
What could be the possible reasons?
  1. Bushes?
  2. Springs?
  3. Shocks (unlikely)
  4. Links?
  5. Tires (hardened as the manufacturing is more then 8 years old)
  6. Just my perception (I seem to be impatient not to slow down for rough patches )

Also I noticed that there is uneven wear on the front left tire, which also causes maximum noise.
Old 28th January 2016, 20:29   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Of late my Forester feels extremely bumpy. Ride was alright after replacing the rear shocks about 2 years back.
When ever the car goes over sharp bumps/edges, there is a thud sound and sharp vertical movement. Strangely, this seems to be happening with both front and rear wheels.I also feel that there is bit of sideways swaying (while going over rough patches)
What could be the possible reasons?
  1. Bushes?
  2. Springs?
  3. Shocks (unlikely)
  4. Links?
  5. Tires (hardened as the manufacturing is more then 8 years old)
  6. Just my perception (I seem to be impatient not to slow down for rough patches )

Also I noticed that there is uneven wear on the front left tire, which also causes maximum noise.
Check your sway bars, bushes and links. My feeling is that it would be one of these most likely the sway bars
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 21:32   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Check your sway bars, bushes and links. My feeling is that it would be one of these most likely the sway bars
Quite likely.
I had replaced the links as well. But the SA told it was not necessary to change the bushes (but they were visibly bad). Now I wonder that would have damaged the new links also.