Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th January 2016, 22:00   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

I got the Car inspected by a private mechanic (who has good experience on the Foresters) and it looks like the front left shock has become weak. Also one of the link road has got damaged.
Did anybody had the experience of getting the front shocks replaced? It was costing around 20k sometime back but I don't know what will be the cost now.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 14:52   #227
th2

Hello Bangalore Forester Owners, who would you recommend for the best possible servicing of a Forester in Bangalore? Anyone in South Bangalore? Was getting it serviced at Sundaram and later at Trident after Sundaram stopped it. Has been barely used in the last 18 months - would like to continue keeping the vehicle if I can manage to find a trusted mechanic.
th2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 16:45   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by th2 View Post
Hello Bangalore Forester Owners, who would you recommend for the best possible servicing of a Forester in Bangalore? Anyone in South Bangalore? Was getting it serviced at Sundaram and later at Trident after Sundaram stopped it. Has been barely used in the last 18 months - would like to continue keeping the vehicle if I can manage to find a trusted mechanic.
I don't know any options in South Bangalore. Trident Chevrolet in Kalyananagar used to service Foresters. I have been going to a private garage behind Vivekananda Road Metro station (Run by a ex Trident mechanic called Das)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 19:08   #229
th2

Just got the car back from Pride Cars in Banashankari 2nd Stage. I am happy with the service, openness and expertise. One Mr. Harish worked on my car. It is a multi-brand workshop. Would definitely recommend it to anyone else looking for a good garage in South Bangalore.
th2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 00:57   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got the car back from Pride Cars in Banashankari 2nd Stage. I am happy with the service, openness and expertise. One Mr. Harish worked on my car. It is a multi-brand workshop. Would definitely recommend it to anyone else looking for a good garage in South Bangalore.
Do they source common parts for the Forester like oil filter? What exactly was done to your car?

Last edited by Guna : 20th April 2017 at 00:59.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 08:21   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Hi @th2

I have gotten my Forester repaired there couple of times and they did a decent job, but one needs to be there for inspection and guidance. Once my front power window switch had an issue getting stuck at the end and Harish carefully diagnosed the problem to a broken plastic gear teeth and fixed the gear teeth using KwikFix and that one worked like a charm afterwards. It took nearly one hour for him to carefully do the job. I appreciated his patience and effort.
(Actually I had gone there to get the switch replaced).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Do they source common parts for the Forester like oil filter? What exactly was done to your car?
Guna, you need to take the parts to them. They do the labour.

Last edited by WRXXX : 20th April 2017 at 08:23.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 09:28   #232
th2

Hi Guna,

It was a regular service job - no major mechanical issues. The car was thoroughly inspected, especially the suspension and I was kept in the loop at all times. For the Forester, the parts will need to be procured by the owner. You need to work with them and they are willing to learn. For example, in the 2004 Forester the glove compartment needs to be removed to access the cabin filter. I showed a youtube video on how to do it and we got it cleaned. Also sat together and drew up a list of spares/consumables that I intend to procure for the medium term.
th2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:43   #233
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Recent repairs on my Scoobie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post
... had most likely perished. Ordered a Dorman front RHS motor from Rockauto soon after but was able to fit it only last month due to a lengthy holdup with Customs.

How was the buying experience with RockAuto? Did the customs people ask you to come over to pay any duties etc. I am thinking of placing a order for my Civic from RockAuto. Any tips on same.
Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:03   #234
BHPian

Default Re: Recent repairs on my Scoobie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

How was the buying experience with RockAuto? Did the customs people ask you to come over to pay any duties etc. I am thinking of placing a order for my Civic from RockAuto. Any tips on same.
Thanks.
I love RockAuto for its selection and the great UI - makes it easy to find parts. I've used only USPS shipping from them (FedEx option is too high) and these sometimes get stuck with customs. For the Dorman, I had to visit the customs people at the GPO here and pay the duties. After a few days, item was delivered by the PO.

Because of the customs hassles, I very much prefer Amazon because Amazon does the customs clearing for you and you know before-hand the costs thanks to the AmazonGlobal (?) program. Caveat is not all parts are eligible for the program.

Bottomline? I like Rockauto but not the associated custom hassles (nothing to do with them actually). YMMV depending on shipping option you choose. I'd probably buy from them again for parts/consumables that I can afford to wait for.
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 23:27   #235
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks the itch is back and this time I have got a lot more resources at my end to make it happen no matter what. I am buying a Forester! There. Those are my two emoticons per post, both big grins because I can't hold back my excitement.

I have shortlisted a few Foresters for sale around the country, and this time my query is not about parts or cost, as I have said I am now fortunate enough to have the resources at my end to make this happen no matter what. My query is more related to the sinister eyes of the government that watches over all of us.

All the Foresters I know of are mostly 2003 models and my friend told me that that would mean it would need to be re-registered with the RTO in another year after having completed 15 years. Seeing as a lot of you here owning Foresters would also be aware of this headache looming over your beloved subies, I thought I'd ask:
If I buy a Forester from another state, can I have it registered in Bangalore and use it care-free? Will I really have to do it again every 5 years? I also heard about something called green tax that will be imposed on cars older than 15 years and idea what this is exactly? What are the processes involved in transferring the state, and most importantly, having the car re-registered/renewed? Has anyone done their calculations on this matter already? Could you please share it with me as well? I have finally got the time and resources at my end to make this dream come true, just want to ensure that I will be able to enjoy it in the years to come.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th September 2017 at 23:36.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 00:29   #236
BHPian

I have transferred my Petrol Palio recently from Chandigarh to Himachal.
Here they do a physical examination of the vehicle to give a fitness certificate. In Chandigarh, we could obtain the fitness certificate from authorised workshop but in Himachal, they do 'Vehicle Passing' themselves. It is just another way to ask for bribes from commercial vehicle owners who have to go through the ordeal every year.
As a private vehicle owner, I wasn't harassed although after previous experiences with Chandigarh RTO, this one seemed a lot more tedious and artificially troublesome.
Anyhow, I was in for a shocker as I was asked to pay the full 15yr tax on the IDV. Apparently that's the way things work in transfer situations. The new RC was only valid for a month as they provide one only till the date the original RC was valid for.
So after a month ( 15th anniversary of our car), I had to get it passed again and submit the documents. This time it was much easier as I knew how to handle the situation due to the previous experience. Paid the nominal 5 yr tax and got the new RC valid for 5 more years.
Wonder if I'll have patience to go through this again after 5 years.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 00:42   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Anyhow, I was in for a shocker as I was asked to pay the full 15yr tax on the IDV. Apparently that's the way things work in transfer situations. The new RC was only valid for a month as they provide one only till the date the original RC was valid for.
So after a month ( 15th anniversary of our car), I had to get it passed again and submit the documents. This time it was much easier as I knew how to handle the situation due to the previous experience. Paid the nominal 5 yr tax and got the new RC valid for 5 more years.
Wonder if I'll have patience to go through this again after 5 years.
Thanks for your response let me see if I've got this right: so you transferred registration, then once the car became 15 years old, you paid the renewal tax. Yes? So if I pick up a Forester, can I do both things in a year's time when it becomes 15 years old or do I need to do them one by one? What is IDV and how is it calculated? I'm sorry this is the first time I am having to personally deal with all these technicalities myself. In the past such things were always taken care of by my father or his office
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 00:54   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Thanks for your response let me see if I've got this right: so you transferred registration, then once the car became 15 years old, you paid the renewal tax. Yes? So if I pick up a Forester, can I do both things in a year's time when it becomes 15 years old or do I need to do them one by one? What is IDV and how is it calculated? I'm sorry this is the first time I am having to personally deal with all these technicalities myself. In the past such things were always taken care of by my father or his office
Even I thought that I could get them both done together. But at least in Himachal, I couldn't.
Their logic was right. If I would have waited for the 15yrs to complete, then I would have had to get the RC renewed in Chandigarh first before transferring it to Himachal. So, even then it would have been two steps, with the first one being difficult as my address proofs were now of my Himachal residence.
IDV is the value declared on insurance policy.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 12:24   #239
BHPian

@IshaanIan It would help to visit your local RTO office or a used car dealer and ask for all documents and charges pertaining to vehicle transfers as RTO rules and charges are different for different states. From what I understand, vehicle transfers into KA from out of state can be quite expensive.
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 09:58   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

All the Foresters I know of are mostly 2003 models and my friend told me that that would mean it would need to be re-registered with the RTO in another year after having completed 15 years. Seeing as a lot of you here owning Foresters would also be aware of this headache looming over your beloved subies, I thought I'd ask:
You do get 2004/2005 foresters as well.

I got my KL registered forester (2004) in 2010 and had to pay more then 1.5 lac for re-registration. If you get a 2003 forester, you may end up paying 25-30 k for re-registration which will only last for 1 year (as it would live it's 15 years life).
I don't have much idea about re-registering. IDV should be less then 2 lakhs.
My suggestion : Try to get 2005 model and stick to only KA registered cars.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote