Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd December 2008, 07:19   #1
BHPian

Default Problem with 99-model hyundai santro

Hi Friends,
I am posting this question to you all with a broken heart because the long trip i just did with my family in a hyundai santro turned out to be my worst experience in life. Let me give a brief of the problems i faced
1. 2 Days before the long trip of 2000 kms i took my car to a experienced mechanic and had a general check up. He replaced the front brake pads and also told me that cluch plate is in a state of worning out after 3000 kms only and recommended the car for a trouble free journey.
2. I have not taken the car out for nearly 3 months before the journey
3. I did all the regular checkups that we normally do before a long trip
4. The trip was planned to be a night journey and i commenced the journey at 3p.m . The first shock i got after packing up all the things in the car is the self motor took a little bit more time to start, i.e ususally when the ignition is turned on the car starts in a second. but now the self motor sounded as though it was so tired. But it started anyway.
5. The initial part of the journey is through heavy chennai traffic for about 20 kms. The car turned off whever i took foot off the accelerator.But when i turned on again it functioned normally and again if i take my foot off the car's engine shut off.
6. After reaching the highway the car resumed its normal function and journey was smooth. After 100 kms, i stopped in a shop for refreshment. Now the car did'nt start. I am sure the battery has lost its soul. Jump started the car and bought a new EXIDE battery from a nearby town. After that i completed a 500 km journey successfully. Car was smooth and i maintained 80 kmph.The next day i have to again travel 450 kms and car was fine throughout.
7. After 1 day full rest again started the 500 km trip. now the real problem began to raise. After 140 kms, the car refuses to accelerate and slows down and accelerates repeatedly though i maintain a constant pressure on the accelerator. It seems like it is difficult to breathe. but when i turn off the engine and turn it back on after 5 minutes everything is back to normal. but after 20 minutes drive again the problem appears.
8.I was in the middle of nowhere and for nearly 350 kms i was repeating these steps again and again to reach the destination. My whole family was upset and the trip was ruined.

Now, could you guys please tell me why this issue might have occured? The next day when i took the car to the mechanic the car was working fine. i think the issue is happening only after travel beyond 200 kms. Cleaned up the air filter and spark plugs and took a test drive for 200 kms!
The issue is happening again- Car behaves as though it is so tired and refuses to accelerate and engine turns off. But this did not happen when driving in rain.
I am confused what colud be the reason. Please help.
blueband4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:34   #2
BHPian

Not sure whether my issue is related to yours
I faced an issue with my Santro (now sold...2000 model). Once after driving for long(300 Km).....my car started giving jerks....so i just switched off the engine.....waited for some time....again started it and it worked fine and after some time again the motion was jerky again
I took it to hyundai service station and they detected it to be a fuel pump failure and it cost me around 5000 bucks.
vikasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

First of all, IMHO, the thread must be in the " Technical Stuff " section i.e. here: Technical Stuff - Team-BHP

About your car's problem, if its not air filter problem then its the injection of fuel. Clean the injectors as they are possibly not functioning properly. Also bad fuel quality lead to this problem. And your car needs a thorough check-up IMO. Take your car to Hyundai Authorized Service Station and ask them to do a thorough look at your car, clean injectors, and also possibly the bad fuel could have lead to clogged fuel filter also. Ask them to inspect fuel filter also.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Your fuel pump may be heating up, or you may have a clogged fuel filter.
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
I suggest you get the following checked
1. Alternator(is it developing enough voltage at idle to charge batter
2. Fuel filter
3. Fuel pump
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 11:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasb View Post
Not sure whether my issue is related to yours
I faced an issue with my Santro (now sold...2000 model). Once after driving for long(300 Km).....my car started giving jerks....so i just switched off the engine.....waited for some time....again started it and it worked fine and after some time again the motion was jerky again
I took it to hyundai service station and they detected it to be a fuel pump failure and it cost me around 5000 bucks.
100% same problem that i faced. But during night travel it is not happening.so is there anything related with engine overheating?the temp gauge however showed only normal temp. I will check the fuel pump and filter and will post the results. Thank you so much for all the replies..

one more thing i forgot to add. When i drove at speeds between 120-130kmph the problem began after 40 km itself.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd December 2008 at 11:41. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 24th December 2008, 07:54   #6
BHPian

Default Issue resolved

A huge thank you for all the replies. Indeed it was a fuel pump problem!! after a full service and change of fuel pump i took the car for more than 300 kms last weekend and no problems whatsoever.Thank you so much friends.I am so happy to be a part of Team-bhp!
Mods you may close this thread as resolved...Thanks!!
Old 6th August 2009, 19:28   #7
lsp
BHPian

I faced a similar issue with my 2001 Santro (~ 80k kms). Usually I dont travel long distances in the car as it is used for city traveling only. One fine day the car started showing loss of power first and then halted. The temperature gauge showed that the temp was well withing limits. After waitin for about 10-15 minutes the car started. Luckily I was close to my home by now and took the car home. On a later date faced this problem again.

Showed it to the mechanic. Removed the fuel pipe and saw that the fuel being pumped was very low in volume. A fuel pump replacement would have costed about 5k. Showed it to another mechanic. He told that the motor in the fuel pump was not performing upto the mark hence the lesser amount of fuel. Overheating due to long distance drives will lead to no fuel being pumped which is why the engine is stopping.

Changed the motor in the Fuel Pump. Rs 990/- New Fuel Pump Motor + Rs 150/- Labor Charge.

Never faced the problem again.

(Note: The motor in fuel pump is same for Accent and Santro. Similarly the motor is same for M800, WagonR, Zen and Esteem.)
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote