Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd December 2008, 19:54   #1
BHPian

Default rust in border of Lancer's windshield

My Lancer is 1999 year make. and i just noticed the rust forming, in the rubber beading of windshield, at the top, where all the rain water and service station water falls through. I suspect, the water gets into the beading and since no way to drain, it caused rusting.

Is there any way to tinker and paint that part without causing damage to windshield, or rubber beading. Since beading of lancer would be costlier. i dont mind removing beading and tinkering and then again fixing back the same. Does anyone faced this problem. and how they solved it?
Attached Thumbnails
rust in border of Lancer's windshield-dsc00338.jpg  

rust in border of Lancer's windshield-dsc00337.jpg  

rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:57   #2
BHPian

rajiv you can go to some A.S.S and ask them to remove the windshield and repair the damaged area. the glass can be fixed back again.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 20:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

You'll have to spend on removing and fitting back the windshield. Be careful not to damage the glass while at it.
Speak to windshield experts on how much they would charge you for removing and reinstalling it back. Your regular mechs might not be too competent in handling it.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:17   #4
BHPian

Hi Rajiv

Off topic: In your avatar it shows an odo reading of 4 lakh kms.Is this the reading in your car.If yes is it a diesel version?
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:28   #5
BHPian

@white_vdi

Thanks man..i too thought of going to A.S.S , but i doubted whether they will take up this minor job, that too tinkering.

@ nitrous
It will be easier if A.S.S does all the job from a-z.if not, both will blame each other if something goes wrong.

@stable rock
Ya man, its diesel, and now the ODO has clocked around 4.06 lakhs
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
rajiv you can go to some A.S.S and ask them to remove the windshield and repair the damaged area. the glass can be fixed back again.
That's the best and only option but the beading will have to replaced as well with a new one. You can't reuse the old beading. I thing the beading is a pit pricey like 1.5-2K.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

go to some good paintshop and ask them to scrap the paint and redo the coatings and the paint. they will remove the windshield and the rubber beadings, remove the old paint and do the necessary to prevent further rusting. i think u should check the other parts of the car too like the doors and boot by pulling the beading out.
i am shocked to see that your car has done 4.06 lac on the odo that too on a diesel engine. have u rebuild the engine anytime?
amit_mechengg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:35   #8
BHPian

woooooow!!!
4lac+ on a diesel lancer. dude you need to start a LONG term ownership thread. share your valuable experience. rookies like me will learn a lot about diesel power plants from you.
and dont go for a jugaad with regards to the rust. get it done properly. it will be worth the money.

Last edited by white_vdi : 2nd December 2008 at 23:41.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 00:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
woooooow!!!
4lac+ on a diesel lancer. dude you need to start a LONG term ownership thread. share your valuable experience. rookies like me will learn a lot about diesel power plants from you.
Rajiv please start a long term ownership thread as mentioned by White _vdi.Your car might be the one with the highest odo reading in TBHP and we all are eager to know your experiance so far with your car and please do post few pics of your car.Would like to see how it looks after all these 4 lakh kms.Let your car cover more miles.
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 00:55   #10
BHPian

You can just scrape off the beading and paint over it, BUT it will just come back. If you want it gone for good you need to grind down all the rust and bondo the surface then get it painted.
NRIturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:31   #11
BHPian

@ stable rock , white vdi

Actually i am second owner of this marvellous car...I had a second thought while buying this car, since the odo have reached lakhs. I suspected it will give problems in future, since its diesel.

But had hope with mitsubishi diesel engine and the maintenance was with A.S.S so had seen service records. was maintained timely and was in good shape. So i just bought this one. And its a NO PROBLEM car. I have no Major problems till now..Mitsubishi diesel engine is tooo goood .... though engine have old technology. its rugged one.

By the way. The engine have not been rebuild ( as per the service record), but there was an instance changed rings and gasket kits etc...not major building done. But still engine going strong with AC on.
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a similar problem on the door edges of my NHC.

Any recommendations on where to get this repaired in Bombay?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:00   #13
BHPian

@rajivanoj

Wow man simply amazing 4L + kms that too an oil burner. cool...!

Anyway back to the topic, I've done a similar "tinkering" job done on by bro's
Wagon R. Had enquired about the same in an A.S.S and they said if glass breaks cost will have to be given by the customer.

So it was done at a non A.S.S (but a really good workshop, and we know the guys) During the process of removing and re-fixing the glass was broken (not sure if it was due to some problem while fixing or was accidental).
In the end gave around 2k to the service guys. (this is no where near the price of the glass)

So this is a risk that you need to be aware.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote