Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th December 2008, 10:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Amit, I did that got all out cleaned and washed and put them baclk was pure bliss for a week then back to square one.
Maybe the quality of the rubber is crap.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 12:00   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Maybe the quality of the rubber is crap.
Partly yes, on which the weather takes toll, the rubber distorts and then its irreversible damage. Also the shape of the glass (curved) adds to the load on all the parts, this is basically a design flaw.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 15:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps we all who have been harassed with this menace should get together and sue MUL, first for making a car with this defect, and second for not rectifying it.... Lol!

As for the bad quality of the rubber, the MASS where I gave the car last time, changed the rubber runs and charged me about Rs. 800 for it. One month later, when the car was given back to them for the remaining problems and insurance work, they changed the rubber run again and charged me another Rs. 800 approx!!! Their explaination was that the rubber had become swollen in some part, and was obstructing the glass. I flipped and told them no way I can keep changing the runs every month - either the part is defective or their worksmanship is! I told them to return the run to Maruti as defective or do whatever, but I'm not ready to pay for it again. They finally agreed to deduct the amount from the latest bill, took the old (30 days old) run back, and said they will write to Maruti about it...
Raccoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 22:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post
If that is the case, then I guess you ought to check out on the motor at MASS. A motor with a partially burnt out winding will have a much decreased torque!
Quote:

Has anyone tried retrofitting with non OE motors ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post

Also I have got conflicting opinions on servicing of the O.E motors, one of the electricians said that nothing can be done, however an Electrician in Karol Bagh said that he can do it. (Maybe opening the motor, rewinding and all, not sure though).

But I guess the motors are too precious to take that kind of 'Panga' with the, unless they are completely dead.
I had Mitsubishi Power Windows retrofitted on my '95 Esteem which I owned till 2004.I got the co-driver side window motor rewinding done - Rs.300 -after which the window went up and down like a "see-saw".I believe even OE motors can be removed,rewound and put back - at a fraction of the cost of new motors
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 09:47   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As for the bad quality of the rubber, the MASS where I gave the car last time, changed the rubber runs and charged me about Rs. 800 for it. One month later, when the car was given back to them for the remaining problems and insurance work, they changed the rubber run again and charged me another Rs. 800 approx!!!
Was it the same door or a diff door (just clarifying), did you check. 800 is for one glass run right?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 10:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I had Mitsubishi Power Windows retrofitted on my '95 Esteem which I owned till 2004.I got the co-driver side window motor rewinding done - Rs.300 -after which the window went up and down like a "see-saw".I believe even OE motors can be removed,rewound and put back - at a fraction of the cost of new motors
You mean the Lancer's PW, right ?

I was also told that the esteem's PW motors cannot be opened & repaired, have to get that checked.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I was also told that the esteem's PW motors cannot be opened & repaired, have to get that checked.
Thats what one of my earlier posts say, its confusing, different electricians have different versions.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 16:06   #38
BHPian

any brand recommendation's for this silicon lube spray? i am having a similar problem with only my front passenger side. alright while going down but creeps like a snail while coming up!
vishalpipraiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 13:05   #39
BHPian

Default Silicon Spray

It is very unsual of maruti to charge 400/- for a single rubber beading (one which is removed when we accidently lock the car with the keys kept inside). Few technicians at Maruti say the motor of the esteem power windows should not go wrong even after 10 years of use. I own a 98 carb, purchased the silicon lub spray & use it once a week, this works wonders & solves the problem for me.

cheers:

[COLOR=blue][/COLOR]
Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:02   #40
BHPian

As everyone's saying, i am also blessed with the same problem.

My version of the story goes like this.....

The left PW finally irritated me to the core one fine day while i was on the way to office. I called my manager, said i am not coming to office. Proceeded towards the maruti service center. As expected, after checking, got the reply that the PW beading is gone. Got it replaced for the same Rs 800 and others here. Was very crazy about the price while returning.

The window was smooth like silk for a few days...I also used to play the UP and DOWN game while waiting in signals.

One cold December weekend, went out for a drink and came back with the windows half open. Reached home and noticed that the LPW was stuck at half open position. I tried to lower completely and started to close and it didnt even show the signs of moving. I manually had to pull the glass.

I again went to the service centre and shouted at the guy who had done the work few days ago. This time he sprayed some lubricant all over the beading and it started to work. I was amazed by this ultra super liquid. Asked him what it was and the reply was 'Rust OFF' . Why should rust off be used on rubber? To get the rust formation off from a 3 day old rubber component? Damn!

Then the PW used to work for 5-6 days then stop. I will the go, get rustoff sprayed and come back. (I had basically given up trying to solve this)

Since the few weeks ago, I got off with 'rust off' and started to use synthetic engine oil that was left(About 100 ml). I opened the front left and right door pads then cleaned the rubber beadings on both the sides. I then put few drops of the oil inside the rubber beading till the was a small coat of the oil inside. I had to make sure the oil coat is present only in the place the glass slides. This has been working fine for 2 weeks now.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:31   #41
BHPian

Hi Guys,

When i had ESTEEM some years back even i had the same problem with the power windows, at that time there was this local mechanic of mine who suggested to apply talcum powder on inside of the windows and it actually did wonders.

Not sure about the logic there but it worked.

But i am sure this will only work if the motor is in working condition
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Also the shape of the glass (curved) adds to the load on all the parts, this is basically a design flaw.
That is VERY true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Not sure about the logic there but it worked.
For how many days ? We'd like to know.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 13th January 2009 at 14:44.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
For how many days ? We'd like to know.
Till the times you are not cleaning your window panes from inside
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 15:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

here's whats happening in my car now.
the passenger power window's still problematic. but the problem is different. the window goes up fine with the button on the passengers side, but the moment i start using the button on the drivers side, it becomes horribly slow and just stops.
so i don't blame the rubber for it. whats happening?
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 15:21   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost certainly a bad electrical connection from the drivers console to the motor. May be a bad/loose connector or (unlikely) a frayed wire.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote