Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th December 2008, 18:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
I went to a paint shop today. They are telling car has to be rubbed with 0 sand paper. Then it needs to be polished. Will cost 2k. Is this is correct solution ? Please let me know.
2K is a very higher quote. Try another shop.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 23:28   #32
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
2K is a very higher quote. Try another shop.
Please can you tell me some other shop where I can less than 2K. Paint shop people told that they will do every thing Including the windscreen.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 12:35   #33
BHPian

Sowmya, I am going to Surakshaa in Hosur road on Monday for the service of my car. I will check this out with them and let you know. I am toying with the idea of getting complete rubbing / waxing job as well as fixing windscreen issue with them, as I have heard that they are very good in paint job and stuffs.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 11:34   #34
BHPian

Got the car serviced at Surakshaa and they did a wonderful job to remove the roughness in the body paint! They treated with silicon polish for the entire body and now its back to glory. There were some white scars / water marks; thanks to my watchman who washes the car daily. These were also removed in the process. Cost involved was Rs.650/-.

Some very light scratches remain in a few areas, which I am plannig to take care of, after sometime with a complete car detailing.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 17th December 2008 at 11:37.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 15:12   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Sowmya, what updates? Did you manage to get the roughness off?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 16:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

same thing i observed in my car when polishing it lthis saturday :( ...... on looking closely i can see very small paint drops, its all over the car on roof, bonnet, glass everywhere. it looks like white paint. i tried removing few with nail just to check and they comes off easily but sticks to next spot.

now i remember i had given the car to the service center a month back for painting the doors which they offered to do for free :( . will take the car tomorrow to the service center.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 29th December 2008 at 17:01.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 23:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
same thing i observed in my car when polishing it lthis saturday :( ...... on looking closely i can see very small paint drops, its all over the car on roof, bonnet, glass everywhere. it looks like white paint. i tried removing few with nail just to check and they comes off easily but sticks to next spot.

now i remember i had given the car to the service center a month back for painting the doors which they offered to do for free :( . will take the car tomorrow to the service center.
But how come its all over the body ? And you are realizing after a month. I will update you the whole story in my next post. But as of now I just wanna update that don't allow any paint/Varnish work near your car.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
But how come its all over the body ? And you are realizing after a month. I will update you the whole story in my next post. But as of now I just wanna update that don't allow any paint/Varnish work near your car.
dunno, but it looks like it dropped from the top portion of the car. anyways called 3M people yesterday and got the exterior treatment done. paint marks are gone now, claybar works wonders , i though of buying but its 4k in 3M, after rubbing with claybar he did 3 layer of different polish and paint surface is damn smooth now, maybe better than new lol, paint has a wet look and the whole car looks like a mirror . anyways here are few pics, by the time polishing was done it was pretty dark so not so good pics.

full size pics here Flickr: RahulKool's Photostream
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 12:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
Got the car serviced at Surakshaa and they did a wonderful job to remove the roughness in the body paint! They treated with silicon polish for the entire body and now its back to glory. There were some white scars / water marks; thanks to my watchman who washes the car daily. These were also removed in the process. Cost involved was Rs.650/-.

Some very light scratches remain in a few areas, which I am plannig to take care of, after sometime with a complete car detailing.
Rajesh, Silicon polish is a good stuff. You can try yourself or your car washer can do once in 2 months. I got this stuff from Amway dealer and cost me 400+ bucks and i used twice on both cars (Getz and SX4) and still looks like it is left for atleast one more car ! Shine last for 2 months around

Last edited by aka_iitd : 31st December 2008 at 12:10.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 13:02   #40
BHPian

Here is the story of My Car.
1. I gave my car for servicing in METRO Ford and they made a big Scratch on the Body. So my car went for a body painting.
2. Brought Back the car from Service station and kept IDLE for 10 days. I at least drive in weekend but I went the Mattupalyam so could not drive.
3. Next Sat when I saw the car I saw some thing unusual on my car body and Wind Screen. Every thing is rough. Thought this might be dust. But when I cleaned the with Water it didnt went so thought that some paint has settled.
4. I started this thread on TEAM-BHP and got a Idea that this might be a from paint work done near Car. This help me to catch the exact culprit.
5. Few days back some Furniture works was going on near to my car and asked the person who did the JOB. Obviously he never wanted to agree with his fault.
6. Those people was telling that they have covered the car. But the incident happened after they removed the Cover Becos the particle was on the AIR for some time which settled down to max in my car only.
7. Those people bought some person from a car painting shop. That person took almost 7 hrs to complete the job. Scrubbed the whole body with some clay kind of thing. Then he put a polishing of 3M. I heard that the paint people have changed them 2K.
8. Now the car looks good. But still some place it is there mainly the Back lights. He didnt scrub much as this may look dull.

Lesson Learn : Dont allow any one to do any kind of paint/vernish work near to your car. Though you car are covered. Even parking your car near to Paint Shop/Furniture making shop land up doing this problem.
Old 5th January 2009, 08:48   #41
BHPian

Default big culprit

You should be particularly careful now that you have spent so much on the 'smoothening' , waxing it down would definitely work wonders. Post waking however, is the time when greater precautions are necessary

avoid having high heat sources (welding/machinery) around the car
Stay away from areas having fresh paint jobs done
Also, solvents.
ascertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 20:16   #42
BHPian

Default Re: Roughness in Body Paint.

Hi folks - just noticed the same problem with my car after it was washed today. The entire body including all exterior glass surfaces are very rough (gritty) - basically the same problem that has been described here.
My apartment exterior is being painted and I suspect that my car wash guy picked up some of that stuff inadvertently and spread it all over the car in the process of washing it.
So after discovering it tried to wash it off with generous doses of shampoo (3M bondo band) and hosing it down but nothing helped. I can see very small particles on the glass but they wouldn't come off. So as advised in this forum I wiped the glasses with diluted nail polish remover but again no help.
So I'm posting this in anticipation of some help because this thread is kind of dated and new hacks may have evolved since. I'm looking for suggestions especially the DIY type - clay bars et. al.
dj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 11:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj78 View Post
My apartment exterior is being painted and I suspect that my car wash guy picked up some of that stuff inadvertently and spread it all over the car in the process of washing it.
So after discovering it tried to wash it off with generous doses of shampoo (3M bondo band) and hosing it down but nothing helped. I can see very small particles on the glass but they wouldn't come off. So as advised in this forum I wiped the glasses with diluted nail polish remover but again no help.
So I'm posting this in anticipation of some help because this thread is kind of dated and new hacks may have evolved since. I'm looking for suggestions especially the DIY type - clay bars et. al.
dj78, I dont think the roughness was caused by your car wash guy. You mentioned your apartment is being painted, couldn't it be the paint droplets itself that got caught in the wind got stuck to your car?
If it was caused by your car wash guy it would have been spread out in a different manner like a film of paint rather than droplets.
I'm afraid I do not have a DIY solution to your situation of the car's exterior, but my advice is to take it to a professional polishing guy and let them give your car a good polish.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 12:16   #44
BHPian

Sorry I didn't mean to blame the car wash guy if I sounded like that. What I suspect is that the contaminant(from wherever it got on to the car - from the paint or tree sap - I had parked under some bamboo type plants in a shopping mall the prior evening) was spread all over the car during the process of washing. Strangely no other car parked in the adjacent garages were affected - The same guy washes most of the cars using the same bucket etc..

But it is what it is! I did see some mentions of Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit in the forum for removal of surface contaminants. Here is a video of the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9Qc84vSyY
But the thing is that it costs a bomb - upward of 4.5 K. http://www.ebay.in/itm/Meguiars-Clay...b5f87dd&_uhb=1

How do professional services for the same compare in terms of cost and how long do they take?
dj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 19:43   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj78 View Post

How do professional services for the same compare in terms of cost and how long do they take?
The cost of getting the car polished varies according to the product used to get the job done. It would normally cost some where near 2-4k to get a medium sized sedan done.
The cost and time again depends on the number of compounds used. Each compound is a stage and there are normally about 5 stages, 3 compounds 1 wax and 1 sealant. A full polish takes about 2-4 hours depending on the experience of the technician and the amount of work on your car.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote