Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th December 2008, 18:42   #1
BHPian

Question Swift DDIS ABS humming sound during initial release of the clutch.

Hi Bhpians,

My new Swift diesel which is almost a month old now, after doing around 250 KMS i realized that there is a hummm(with an O sound) sound when i initially release the clutch to start the momemtum of the car. The sound is as if its a the sound of the belt as one of my friend told me. This issue came to my realisation while i was stuck in stop go traffic.

The car has done around 670Km now.

Here is how i can reproduce the issue -

It is there for a very specific moment of the clutch release. Once i start the engine i keep the engine idle atleast for a minute. Then engage the first gear. And as soon as i release the clutch very slowly(now slowly here would mean as if you are moving in a stop go traffic) to reproduce the issue it would sound "hummm" and after releasing the clutch a little more the sound would go off and the car has gathered momentum at this point. This sound is very minor but gets prominent when i am stuck in traffic where you have to release the clutch slightly to get ahead by an inch or two and stop again.

Hell why this new car is getting such issues.

Guys the service will be due now and i want your opinion and advise for what is this sound about and is it of concern and should it be left as it is or should be looked into, so that i dont get fooled by MASS technicians.

Has any one with Swift DDIS experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
tush.

Last edited by tush : 9th December 2008 at 18:49.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 13:51   #2
BHPian

Bhpians any input on this issue would be highly appreciated.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:40   #3
BHPian

Hello all,

I am attaching the sound clip of the humming sound coming from under the hood, recorded using my Nokia Phone. The recording quality is poor and does not sound as prominent as in real life it sounds from the car. The doors and windows of the car were closed during the recording. The 2 files are attached to this post with .doc extension. Click on the file and it will give you an option to save it in your PC. Save the file in your PC and rename the extension to .wav .While the sound clip is playing make sure to increase the volume of the speakers to the fullest. Kindly hear it and give your opinions and suggestions about it.

Mods I apologize since i have renamed the .wav file to .doc file and tried uploading it as there was no option to upload any file with any audio extension. If its not appropriate kindly guide me for the same.

thanks,
tush
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sound clip 1.doc (504.7 KB, 526 views)
File Type: doc Sound clip 2.doc (375.0 KB, 386 views)
Old 12th December 2008, 16:00   #4
BHPian

tush, by the sound of it I would suggest you definitely visit the MASS for an expert opinion. What if this is a faulty release bearing and anyhow your vehicle is very much under warranty, so, just do it.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:59   #5
BHPian

@suren181

Thank you for your opinion. I have also observed the same sound while in reverse gear in the same fashion while releasing the clutch.

More opinions would be highly appreciated from bhpians here on the forum.

Last edited by tush : 12th December 2008 at 19:03.
Old 24th December 2008, 14:47   #6
BHPian

tush by any chance were you able to solve the problem? Would you be kind enough to update us as to what the solution was?
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 22:59   #7
BHPian

Hi,

The MASS technician said that it would go away after more running. And he feels that its not worth checking right now as they might have to open up everything to check that noise and since the car is new he doesn't advise that as of now.
Old 27th December 2008, 02:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Hi,

The MASS technician said that it would go away after more running. And he feels that its not worth checking right now as they might have to open up everything to check that noise and since the car is new he doesn't advise that as of now.
Hell no! since its a new car, get it done asap.

DDis is a very complex engine. Hence its better to solve it under warranty, maybe replace it, why wait and clock the oddo more.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 13:02   #9
BHPian

Hi,
May be this sound is of clutch release bearing which connects to Pressure plates, same thing happed to my Palio D and the Local Mechanic told me to ignore the sound and eventually due to the breaking of the bearing my clutch pressure plates got damage and had to replace the entire set (Bearing, cluch plate and pressure plates) much before.
Don’t ignore the noise ask MASS to check for the bearing noise and ask them to replace if faulty..

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th December 2008 at 14:41. Reason: Removed color & font tags
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 14:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Hell no! since its a new car, get it done asap.

DDis is a very complex engine. Hence its better to solve it under warranty, maybe replace it, why wait and clock the oddo more.
Yes you are right. The technician said its a complex engine and hence opening it up might reduce its life. When i pointed him out could it be the sound from the belt. He said there are 3 belts in total. 2 of them are outside and the 3rd is inside the engine. Even to check the outside belts they would have to open up major assemblies

Hell i was scared at this. He said it could be that the tension of the belt is more and would ease out to normal as more running is done. Else he said he is not sure what that sound is coming from, as they have not experienced this before in any DDIS. He said "SAAB itna detail mein koyee nahi dekhta".
He suggested me that we advise customers to atleast drive the vehicle upto 2nd service then its wise to check up whats wrong.

This is my second DDIS. Had lot of issues during first one created by MASS itself. Now i am kind of scared with MASS to mess up with my second DDIS as this would be a total experiment with my vehicle this time again.

Another thing that irritates is by the time i reach MASS the sound is gone. It does comes when I try to hold and release the clutch at certain point. It is more prominent when you leave the car with engine turned off until it cools down and then start it and engage the first gear and then its as i mentioned in my first post of this thread.

Last edited by tush : 27th December 2008 at 14:05.
Old 27th December 2008, 15:34   #11
Team-BHP Support

What was the final output on the first car story ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:49   #12

The same happened in a friends swift VDi. He didnt notice it. I noticed upon a chance to drive and asked him to immediately meet MASS. This was rectified and the problem was with the flywheel. Apparently there are some VDi's from maruti which have these problem. The technical guy was saying that it was 1 in 10000 ratio. Better get it rectified.
srini.rtmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 23:41   #13
BHPian

I am not getting that sound any more. It got rectified automatically as was told by the MASS technician.

He had advised me that let the car clock up a few more KMS then we would see if it still exists. And he was right. It went away so i dont believe it could be flywheel issue in my case.

But your information will definitely help me if the issue recurs again.

Thanks

Last edited by tush : 25th August 2009 at 23:44.