Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th December 2008, 09:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
This is why one needs to learn the heel & toe technique!!!
During the driving licence test in England, one of the skills that the inspectors test is your ability to use the handbrake to start a stationary car on an incline. If you don't know how to do that, you fail the driving licence test. No questions asked.
Using heel and toe technique is a sure fire way of failing at least the English driving test.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 10:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

ok ok chill guys! i am using the 'half-clutch' (or whatever it is called) method since i have learnt driving and have not spent much on clutch plates yet. by half-clutch, i dont mean you should NOT stop the car or stall it on an incline with the cutch half depressed and without braking, that will burn the clutch.
i wont advise the handbrake method as invariably learners tend to press the accelerator and leave the clutch first and then dis-engage the handbrake.
when the car is standstill on a incline, it should be on handbrake and when the traffic moves, what i do is- press the brake, release the handbrake, release the clutch and brake simultaneously so that the car does not move backwards and then press the throttle to move forward. this happens in a second or so- so i dont think you will burn your clutch plates.
i repeat, i dont stall or hold my car on inclines with half clutch!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th December 2008 at 10:05.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 10:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
What I do, and whats the correct way to do (very fast) is to release the brake and release the clutch much faster than normal. The car will likely go back a very short distance, depending on the gradient, but almost always there is sufficient margin between cars to take care of that.
this is exactly what i meant!
Old 11th December 2008, 10:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

You will not get a licence to drive in England Raj. But who cares?
Incidentally what you describe is not called "half clutch", a very typical Indian phrase. Half clutch (in proper English this is called clutch modulation) is when you don't fully depress the clutch but gently tap on it when the engine is about to knock due to sudden drop in speed without the commensurate down shift in gear. Lazy drivers are known to do this and it harms the clutch.
Old 11th December 2008, 10:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

oh sorry! wrong nomenclature lead to all this. this was a term i heard from my driver!

ok guys, i normally go for clutch modulation and this does not harm my clutch plate in any ways.
Old 11th December 2008, 10:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Try the handbrake method once. You will love it. Nothing very difficult. You just keep releasing the brake and keep accelerating simultaneously. No big deal. It feels very smooth.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:32   #22
Team-BHP Support

Unless the car is moving with handbrake engaged, there is no issue. On a stopped car, handbrake is better than to burn your clutch
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 11:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

i feel in the handbrake method, you need to adjust your handbrake setting every now and then, true?
even in this method, you need to time the release of clutch and handbrake efficiently, isnt it?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th December 2008 at 11:49.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:53   #24
BHPian

Both techniques have merits and demerits.

The handbrake technique is good for
1. beginners
2. bumper-to-bumper traffic on a flyover or slope
3. weak clutches

Even experienced drivers use it on very steep slopes.

The footbrake technique is good for
1. experienced drivers and fast starts
2. traffic is crawling but not at standstill
3. you need both your hands!

On a petrol vehicle you may need to press the accelerator as well while engaging the clutch or the vehicle is likely to stall.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 11:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well, in the "propah" English method you are using three things simultaneously - the accclerator, clutch and handbrake. A gets pressed, B gets released and C gets released too. A&C with your feet and B with your hand. It sounds complicated but in reality it is quite easy and smooth. Just don't do it first time on a crowded bumper to bumper flyover. You don't need any special adjustment on the brake to try this.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

well, in bumper to bumper traffic, do we really need the acclerator? atleast in diesel cars, its just enough to leave the clutch. as watashi said, if the traffic is crawling and not standstill, like in my case, dont you think the handbrake technique will be more difficult for me?

anyways, as most of them are opting for the handbrake tech, the threadstarter should go for it. i will too try it!
Old 12th December 2008, 05:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
well, in bumper to bumper traffic, do we really need the acclerator? atleast in diesel cars, its just enough to leave the clutch. as watashi said, if the traffic is crawling and not standstill, like in my case, dont you think the handbrake technique will be more difficult for me?

anyways, as most of them are opting for the handbrake tech, the threadstarter should go for it. i will too try it!
In crawling traffic on an incline, yes, handbrake can become a pain, especially if there is not enough time to engage the handbrake before you start moving again.

In such cases, what I used to do it to still engage handbrake, wait till the vehicle in front has stopped again in front of you(thereby putting some space between your car and his) and then take off. The problem with this approach is, you get honked at by morons behind, who wants to be constantly on the move, it does not matter to them that the traffic is actually crawling. I learnt to ignore such people.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 09:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have always used the handbrake method and have never faced any undue wear and tear etc in the various cars I have driven.

However, one thing can be quite irritating is when handbrake users DON'T press the release button when ratcheting UP the handbrake. Frequent ratcheting up (say on flyovers in stop & start traffic) WILL cause the gear teeth on the handbrake mechanism to wear very quickly and ultimately need changing.

It's better to gently press the button, ratchet up to the maximum and then release the button and confirm that it has engaged by the little 'click'. One of our drivers used to pull up the handbrake lever (M800) that I could hear it from my 2nd floor flat!

Also, getting the cable inspected and adjusted/replaced as well as the rear drum brake/handbrake mechanism servicing (especially pre and post monsoons) is a good practice.
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 12:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

As pic in your profile says you are driving a scorpio with enormous low and torque so not pressing accelarator may work for you but that is not the case in general , still your method will not work even while driving scorpio on real steep inclines and I think you have not done much of driving on mountain roads.
Half clutch is required in certain cases where your vehical is not at standstill but this is no substitute to handbrake.
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 15:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
As pic in your profile says you are driving a scorpio with enormous low and torque so not pressing accelarator may work for you but that is not the case in general , still your method will not work even while driving scorpio on real steep inclines and I think you have not done much of driving on mountain roads.
Half clutch is required in certain cases where your vehical is not at standstill but this is no substitute to handbrake.
amit buddy, this guy was talking about flyovers and hence the response. we are not talking about climbing mountains here, we are discussing traffic jams on normal inclines like flyovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
In crawling traffic on an incline, yes, handbrake can become a pain, especially if there is not enough time to engage the handbrake before you start moving again.

In such cases, what I used to do it to still engage handbrake, wait till the vehicle in front has stopped again in front of you(thereby putting some space between your car and his) and then take off. The problem with this approach is, you get honked at by morons behind, who wants to be constantly on the move, it does not matter to them that the traffic is actually crawling. I learnt to ignore such people.
by that time, an auto or zen will squeeze his head into the gap and you will stay where you are! this is mumbai!